Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range X 100D 2017 compared to Y LR

laceyboy

Aug 9, 2020
Lacey WA
I can't talk about 2017 MX 100D but internet says about 295ish while 2021 MY LR is about 320ish.
My ideal driving of my MY, I got around 300 in range

Mitrovic

Dec 30, 2010
Bern, Switzerland
I can't talk about 2017 MX 100D but internet says about 295ish while 2021 MY LR is about 320ish.
My ideal driving of my MY, I got around 300 in range
Well, the internet says a lot....I would never get 295 miles out of my Model X 100D.
But the interesting would be the comparison.
The data I found so far was, that the X 100D has a lightly bigger range, then the Y LR, but.... the data seems limited

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
not sure what you were searching for, but there are a ton of threads efficiency. since you own an X, i would start in the Y forum and compare to your own data.

Mitrovic

Dec 30, 2010
Bern, Switzerland
not sure what you were searching for, but there are a ton of threads efficiency. since you own an X, i would start in the Y forum and compare to your own data.

Well actually, there are tons of data which are saying different things. The ideal would be to find someone who has a 2017 Model X and a 2021 Model Y LR and who can tell me how they compare in terms of range with the same driving style...
Like in my original Roadster I was able to achieve a range of 400 Km, but if I would have driven it "normally" it would be much less.
Or, my X100D 2017 has an around 5 % bigger range then my 2015 Model S85....

And why is this interesting for me? Because my 2nd home is about 50 Km too far away to get there with my X 2017 without recharging. And as the kids are growing up, I do not need the space of the X anymore, so I am thinking about switching to the Y, and if I could do 50 Km more in the Y, I would do it immediately....

And to make things more complicated, or more interesting, here in Europe, I think that the Y LR is Chinese made and it has a different range then the US made LR.

And to start in the y forum? Yes I could, but I thought that by percentage there are more x owners who have an Y, then Y owners who have an X....

And to compare my data, to others data.... I guess you are experienced enough to know how difficult this is...and the way the official range was tested has changed from 2017 to 20121. But I m sure you know that....

Bigriver

Mar 2, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
I don’t have a model Y, but I do have a model 3 and an X. I find that I get similar efficiency %, defined as actual range/rated range. So if I go on a 80 mile trip in my model X and use 100 rated miles (80% efficiency), I will do about the same in my model 3, also using 100 rated miles. Of course conditions can vary so I never have an exact comparison, but my Teslafi data shows that it is almost always within 5% of the same efficiency.

Advantage should go to a new model Y because it does not have any battery degradation at the start and for colder weather, it has a heat pump.

Reactions: Mitrovic

Mitrovic

Dec 30, 2010
Bern, Switzerland
I don’t have a model Y, but I do have a model 3 and an X. I find that I get similar efficiency %, defined as actual range/rated range. So if I go on a 80 mile trip in my model X and use 100 rated miles (80% efficiency), I will do about the same in my model 3, also using 100 rated miles. Of course conditions can vary so I never have an exact comparison, but my Teslafi data shows that it is almost always within 5% of the same efficiency.

Advantage should go to a new model Y because it does not have any battery degradation at the start and for colder weather, it has a heat pump.
Thank you. That is an interesting and helpful answer! And absolutely, I wonder how much of an advantage and in which conditions it is that the Y has a heat pump!

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC