Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it normal to have less than 160 miles range on my Model S? I typically charge when I hit 80 miles left on the battery, so that leaves with only 80 driving miles

Details
Year: 2016
Model: 70D
90% Charge: 210 miles
Driving Style: Unaggressive; half freeway, half streets - has hills
Heater: Not used
Fan (AC): 1

Additional Info:
- 21” rims
- Average 75mph on the freeway
- Streets: Normal driving

Attachments

• 1CBB4498-7BDE-4D4E-A2EE-A25AD16FB56B.jpeg
    1CBB4498-7BDE-4D4E-A2EE-A25AD16FB56B.jpeg
    248.7 KB · Views: 73
When I first got my MS, I was consistently getting average of 320-340 wh/mi. Now a year later, my average is <300 wh/mi. On long trips its typically 285-290 wh/mi. Obviously my range increased too. Driving style has the single biggest impact on range, and of that, top speed is the single most effective reason. The difference in range when you're going 85 versus 65 is incredible; remember, parasitic drag increases with the square of speed - ITS NOT A LINEAR INCREASE.

• Helpful
Reactions: KyleDay and P85_DA
I think some of the folks here get this but the rim itself is NOT what hurts range, it is not even so much the weight. larger rims typically come with more performance oriented tires which have higher rolling resistance. More rolling resistance causes more power consumption.

Yes in practice the 21" rim setups swill energy compared to the 19" but blaming the rims size without THOUGHT is about the same as blaming the INCREASED tire pressure the 21" setup comes. but who is going to blame the higher tire pressure for reduced range.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
I think some of the folks here get this but the rim itself is NOT what hurts range, it is not even so much the weight. larger rims typically come with more performance oriented tires which have higher rolling resistance. More rolling resistance causes more power consumption.

Yes in practice the 21" rim setups swill energy compared to the 19" but blaming the rims size without THOUGHT is about the same as blaming the INCREASED tire pressure the 21" setup comes. but who is going to blame the higher tire pressure for reduced range.

It’s absolutely due to increased weight and inertia.

Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested

Reactions: P85_DA
It’s absolutely due to increased weight and inertia.

Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested
It is laughable that you think magazines do scientific testing.
Or did I miss the footnotes on how they contacted the mfg and confirmed the rubber formulas were the same not just the name on the sidewall? Oh no you missed where they specifically state the 18" use a stickier tread compound and the 19" were a wider size and frankly likely the sticky compound too. Or rather didn't miss willfully ignored because it didn't fit your preconceived notion.

How about the fuel economy test procedures?

I didn't even see the actual rim and tire weights listed.

WHY is a question too infrequently asked or understood these days.
Yes rotating weight can have an impact on economy but primarily when driving inconsistent speeds and frequent acceleration is called for, not at steady state highway cruise. Also regenerative braking reclaiming a portion of that energy used to accelerate a heavier wheel should actually reduce(not eliminate) the impact heavier wheels have on an EV vs an ICE.

Yeah the entertainer's conclusion is heavier wheels hurt efficiency but without giving us rim/tire weights, economy testing standards, admitting to varying tread compounds and tire width and different but appropriate pressures why is it the rim weight that is solely to blame?
Couldn't we just as easily draw the conclusion that the presumably higher pressures used in the shorter sidewall tires are what hurt efficiency? That would be just as scientific as his conclusion.

It is laughable that you think magazines do scientific testing.
Magazine testing reproducing what physics predicts and direct observation confirms does not take a particularly dramatic leap of faith.

The article has an image showing sizes, weights, and observed fuel economy.

The speculation that the rubber compound is different on different sized tires of the same name from the same manufacturer because of a different speed rating is exactly that - speculation - and not very good speculation. The higher speed rating is quite likely due to the smaller sidewall in the larger sizes.

why is it the rim weight that is solely to blame?
Nobody suggested it is. But the increased weight and inertia due to the concentration of mass farther from the point of rotation is almost certainly the largest contributor in all but rather extreme examples of rubber compound difference. Increased contact patch width, in cases where the upsized set is wider, probably being a close second.

Anyway. You said “the rim itself is NOT what hurts range, it is not even so much the weight”. I’ll acknowledge it’s a complex interaction with lots of factors, but maintain that your original authoritative assertion is just plain wrong.