TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ranger Fee - Service Center Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by wolfson292, Feb 22, 2016.

1. wolfson292

wolfson292 Architect

When taking my test drive, I asked about the Ranger fee that several posts have been made about. I was assured I didn't need to worry because Tesla had announced that at some point in time a Service Center was being built in my city, but until then Tesla would cover the full cost of any transport to and from a service center. I am about an hour and a half from the nearest store so this does matter a little. Has anyone been given a similar answer?

What I can't find is a published list anywhere of cities that Service Centers are coming to in the future.

2. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Folks at the local (SLC, UT) service center told me that if the car can not be driven there is no charge to have a ranger attempt repairs or to have it moved to the service center.

There is a charge if the car is drivable and the owner just wants some minor work done on it.

3. Spidy

Spidy Member

Change of Policy on Tesla Ranger Service

After reading the comments there I would ask Tesla to give me everything in writing. (They probably won't.)

Also even if they offer ranger service, then there is now a per mile charge (I think $1?) and not just a $100 fee. Not sure if that's exactly what you want.

4. tstafford

tstafford Member

I too would want it in writing from Tesla. Too many posts here on TMC about inconsistency and shifting with respect to these policies.

5. cpa

cpa Member

Yes, I discovered the same thing a few months' back when a Ranger showed up to take my car to the Monterey/Seaside Service Center. I live in Fresno. He said that there were about 130 or so Teslas in and around Fresno. He further said that a Service Center is planned for here, but he was not aware of the timing--still could be a couple of years out (my words, not his.)

He is based here, sort of a Resident Ranger.

Maybe Tesla is starting to ferret out locations with a high-enough customer base that is a 2-3 hour drive from an established Service Center, and placing Resident Rangers in those communities.

6. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

I know Highland Park, even though it's proximity to Villa Park and Chicago Service/Sales centers, was built due to having 200+ Model S's in that city.