TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ranger Service worth it when SC is 20 minutes away

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Earthdog, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Earthdog

Earthdog Member

So lets start with I hate being inconvenienced by taking a car in for service. But looking at prepaying for the annual maintenance at $1,900 verse $2,400 for Ranger Service. Can the Ranger do everything the same as the SC? Also I can't seem to get a straight answer from the SC on this: If the Ranger cannot complete something aka warranty issue will they leave me a Loaner or will I have to come to the SC to get one. I am just trying to decide is the $500.00 worth it to me. In my opinion for $500.00 I should be hands off. Back in the day Acura would deliver me a loaner and take my car in for service and I had a car until it was done. Thats the service level I am expecting is this what I will find?

TIA

2. steve841

steve841 Active Member

I hate going as well ..... but 20 min of travel ... .save your money.

The SC will do service bulletin updates that may not get done by the ranger (or may need a trip to the SC to complete anyhow) .....

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I'm about 6 miles from the Toronto West SC and did not take the Ranger Service. I have CAA (The Canadian AAA) and figure if push comes to shove, I can always have them flatbed the car to service, otherwise I'll just take it in myself. Actually, I think if it's still under warranty, Tesla will pay for the tow.

4. ModelS8794

ModelS8794 Member

Your Acura experience is what tesla has in mind. I'm not saying it's perfect, but that's the goal. You would not need Ranger service for this. Valet and loaner drop-off is part of the regular ($1900) service plan.

Tesla Valet Service
    Tesla is putting in place a valet service, so that your car is seamlessly picked up and replaced with a loaner and then returned as soon as we are done. There is no additional charge for this.

5. Jack_L

Jack_L Member

I too am about 20 mins from the local SC. I spoke with the SC manager about this very question and was planning to purchase the Ranger service just because I hate going in for service. He made it clear that as long as I was that close there was no advantage to paying for Ranger service. He said the valet will pick up and drop off my vehicle (loaner if needed as well). In the unlikely event I was far, far away and needed non-warranty service then I would just pay the $100 Ranger fee per use. I went with his recommendation and just completed my first service. It was flawless with the valet and I couldn't be happier, especially saving the $$$ for Ranger service I wouldn't likely use.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Perhaps it's nitpicking, but we might want to expand "SC" in the thread title.

If you're 20 minutes from a supercharger, that might influence your decision as well but I suspect the author meant service center in the question. :)

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Of course, if you go on frequent trips, how close you live to a service centre might not enter into it.

8. Earthdog

Earthdog Member

Yes Service Center not Super Charger ;-)

9. Jack_L

Jack_L Member

Totally agree with that and figure I will pay a per use fee if/when that need arises.

10. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

The problem is becoming one of the SCs not having loaner cars available. I've asked for one a few times and only gotten it once. I took the ranger service and live about 20 minutes away. Worth it to me just to have them come to my house to swap my summer/winter tires/wheels twice a year.

11. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Hmmm... Id say that depends on the SC.

Never had an issue getting a loaner .... of course, there's only been two SC visits....

12. Earthdog

Earthdog Member

Thanks for all the advice. I went ahead and got it without the Ranger Service.

13. Blathering1

Blathering1 Remember

As I understand it "Valet Service" comes with the standard car warranty-- "have your car picked up in exchange for a loaner at no charge with our valet service". You need to be proximal (20-30 miles) to the SC for Valet service. The extra service plan covers annual maintenance, and can also have Ranger service.

For any warranty issues, roadside assistance should also come into play.