Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ranger travel distance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
to start off I don't currently have any issue that need immediate attention on my vehicle but I have often wondered if I could get a "ranger" to come to me if I needed help. I'm 359 miles from nearest SC. Does anyone know the answer or what's the longest distance someone has had a ranger travel. FYI, I'm in Lubbock, TX (west TX) and there are no large cities anywhere remotely close. Dallas or Albuquerque would be the closest.

to start off I don't currently have any issue that need immediate attention on my vehicle but I have often wondered if I could get a "ranger" to come to me if I needed help. I'm 359 miles from nearest SC. Does anyone know the answer or what's the longest distance someone has had a ranger travel. FYI, I'm in Lubbock, TX (west TX) and there are no large cities anywhere remotely close. Dallas or Albuquerque would be the closest.

Tesla has been using Rangers since the beginning with the Roadsters... the policies have changed and costs have adjusted with each change...

Folks have shipped rangers overseas. I know, for Model S, that Tesla had sent a tech to the Philippines to service the first Model S imported ere from the Costa Mesa, CA service center... the costs were pricey, but the owner paid for that...

I recall hearing a story, maybe on TMC but I think from a fellow Roadster owner directly, that several years ago a Ranger flew to Guam to service a Roadster. Or maybe I am just imagining I heard that story...
I remember the same story... but figure a Model S story would be better.

The other is pools of owners in some of the Hawaiian islands who pool their services together so that they can split the cost of the Ranger to their islands.

Unfortunately, Tesla is not allowed to operate in NM, so no SC in Albuquerque, where I live. From here the closest SC is Denver.

However, I have been told that rangers will travel up to 450 miles to service or pick up a Tesla without a travel charge. They may take it back to the SC, and you may have to go pick it up from there. I haven't tried this yet... and hoping I won't have to.

I am looking closely at a new 100d.. I live around 250 miles from Dallas.. how difficult of an experience will this bbe for me if I pull the trigger on the purchase?

I suggest you call the closest service center and speak with someone about how they handle cars in remote areas. That will give you the best local information on which to make a decision.

That said, be aware it's constantly changing and what you're told today will by no means be the reality tomorrow. I live about 150 miles from the nearest SC, and when I first bought the car, that SC had a ranger dedicated to this particular area that handled most of the needs for the cars out here. When cars needed to be taken to the actual service center, they had someone come out to my house, drop off a loaner, take my car in, and return it when they were done. It was awesome.

As cool as it was, as of my last SC visit, that doesn't exist any more. There is still a ranger / "mobile service" tech out this way that will handle issues that they can, but if your car is drivable and needs to go to the service center for warranty work or scheduled maintenance, it's on you to get it there, or Tesla has a valet service for something like $1.50/mile.

Ranger service is great when it’s something they can fix. They have been up to my area a few times for my X . My ranger actually comes from Nashville even though Charlotte is significantly closer and where I have taken the cars when a service center visit is mandatory .
We had to take the X to Charlotte for a new windshield . It was a two day process . We could not just drop it off in the morning and drive back the same day. It wasn’t warranty work and the car was completely drivable . We ended up keeping the loaner car for 5 days till our schedule allowed us to pick up the car. Tesla was very accommodating from that stand point .

Ranger service is great when it’s something they can fix. They have been up to my area a few times for my X . My ranger actually comes from Nashville even though Charlotte is significantly closer and where I have taken the cars when a service center visit is mandatory .
We had to take the X to Charlotte for a new windshield . It was a two day process . We could not just drop it off in the morning and drive back the same day. It wasn’t warranty work and the car was completely drivable . We ended up keeping the loaner car for 5 days till our schedule allowed us to pick up the car. Tesla was very accommodating from that stand point .

I live in Louisiana. nearest service center is 300 miles away in houston. all my service requests are done automatically via "mobile service" despite me saying ill gladly drive to houston.

The Mobile Service Techs who service our vehicles live and work out of the New Orleans metro area (as I'm sure you know but FYI for those that don't).

Back in the early days of my Model S ownership (2013) service techs were dispatched from Houston and Dallas whenever I needed service or repairs. That was 350 miles from Houston and 500 miles from Dallas. Luckily, after owning 3 Model Ss, none of them have needed much repair nor service. In late 2013 Tesla hired and permanently assigned the first Mobile Tech stationed out of New Orleans.

Mike