Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rant Post: Teslas for Sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lee_B

Supporting Member
Nov 22, 2016
Alexandria VA
This isn't probably the best forum for this but here goes anyway. Why is it next to impossible to advertise a Tesla vehicle for sale on a site with Tesla enthusiasts? It's not just me but almost every thread in the Tesla for Sale forum gets highjacked by people attacking you personally, your price, or your car. For me I have a 2016 facelift MS75D I am looking to sell because I upgraded to a MX and I am moving overseas this summer (DoD). For my MS, when purchased it was 95k and if configured today it would be 95k. I post the car for sale for 70k and the comments I get are "you are a liar because u can't trade in a car for that much", "Tesla only charges 77K for your car", and "I am just going to waste your time hijacking your thread so u cant talk to people who may be interested". I had the same experience when I bought the MS from a TMC member earlier this year. I had to end up PMing him to get info about the car because all the vehicle threads get hijacked. I am wondering why this happens and is allowed to happen on this site so blatantly. I really don't get it. If u wanted to tell someone u think there price is too high why not PM them instead of always hijacking the thread? Funny thing is there should be a good second hand market here but sadly they keep it's own members from participating. I personally may never buy new because of the 1st year depreciation is so steep and there are buyers who feel the same way. Anyhow I'm off my soapbox and will enjoy my Veterans day weekend

It's a lack of manners. There is no way to tactfully haggle price in public for a product you don't want to buy. Haggling is done in private so that if someone gives in they don't lose face.

This predates the internet, but most enthusiast forums do not allow it. Classified should have questions only. It's not an advice column.

Last edited:
It's a lack of manners. It there is no way to tactfully haggle price in public for a product you don't want to buy. Haggling is done in private so that if someone gives in they don't lose face.

This predates the internet, but most enthusiast forums do not allow it. Classified should have questions only. It's not an advice column.
I get you on that and agree. The problem is that the people commenting are just not interested in buying. They make comments that I feel keep people from asking questions or make it seem like selling a car is somehow dishonest. The first person that responded accussed me of lying about a trade in offer. When I sent back proof he actually cyber cussed me out saying I don't care what u think. It's not for me tho - my car is amazing and will sell. It's why are people trying to make it difficult for me to sell. I want to understand that

I get you on that and agree. The problem is that the people commenting are just not interested in buying. They make comments that I feel keep people from asking questions or make it seem like selling a car is somehow dishonest. The first person that responded accussed me of lying about a trade in offer. When I sent back proof he actually cyber cussed me out saying I don't care what u think. It's not for me tho - my car is amazing and will sell. It's why are people trying to make it difficult for me to sell. I want to understand that

That's why I said "there is no way to tactfully haggle price in public for a product you don't want to buy".

Reactions: Lee_B
@Lee_B - I usually don't read For Sale threads, but because of your rant I snuck a peak.

I didn't see the initial posts as out of line, but rather politely inquiring, since they'd had a lower quote with a somewhat similar build. You're posting an ad for free on an internet chat forum. You should expect comments. You might try a paid service if you want to control the commentary.

Good luck with selling your car.

Bonnie -
Fair enuff - I am aware that it is the internet and all the trappings. Here is where I feel the problem is: They make up stuff- people act like its fact and its tied to a thread where I am trying to sell. So instead of dealing with car questions I am playing smart arse games with people who troll the threads. If your really curious please look at their profiles and see if u cant see a pattern.

I posted taking the time to try and answer the usual questions that I see pop up on most vehicles to stay as on topic as possible.

The first comment I get was that I couldn't possible get that much from Tesla on a trade in. Its not relevant, could have been PMed and assumed a lot that wasn't accurate. I responded.

Second and more egregious I was told my car was only work 77K new based upon some new math. smdh. Ok - If ur not interested don't buy or u think I missed something send me a PM. I am not perfect but selling a car isn't and shouldn't be treated as a criminal enterprise. IMHo

Bonnie -
Fair enuff - I am aware that it is the internet and all the trappings. Here is where I feel the problem is: They make up stuff- people act like its fact and its tied to a thread where I am trying to sell. So instead of dealing with car questions I am playing smart arse games with people who troll the threads. If your really curious please look at their profiles and see if u cant see a pattern.

I posted taking the time to try and answer the usual questions that I see pop up on most vehicles to stay as on topic as possible.

The first comment I get was that I couldn't possible get that much from Tesla on a trade in. Its not relevant, could have been PMed and assumed a lot that wasn't accurate. I responded.

Second and more egregious I was told my car was only work 77K new based upon some new math. smdh. Ok - If ur not interested don't buy or u think I missed something send me a PM. I am not perfect but selling a car isn't and shouldn't be treated as a criminal enterprise. IMHo
I could paste your comment on countless random threads on TMC. :) It's the nature of the internet. It's harder to let it go when it's your post, your car, your potential sale - but it's really not personal.

You'll get a fair price for your car, regardless.

Why is it next to impossible to advertise a Tesla vehicle for sale on a site with Tesla enthusiasts?
Every online car forum that allows for sale posts and comments on the posts has the same issue: people make comments. And some sellers complain. If those sellers don’t want comments they can use craigslist or Autotrader or many other sites that don’t allow comments.

I could paste your comment on countless random threads on TMC. :) It's the nature of the internet. It's harder to let it go when it's your post, your car, your potential sale - but it's really not personal.

You'll get a fair price for your car, regardless.

Lol. True. Again it's a rant . It's a bit frustrating I'll admit and certainly morning personal because it my thread. But it happens to all the threads which is why I ranted. I don't agree that because it happens other threads it should happen here to this extent. The trolls if u look at their profile only post in the for sale thread and it's always the same crap. Obviously I have other places to sell I just posted here because I bought here and like the forums generally. But anyhow it's working out of my system so I will enjoy my weekend starting in a few

Reactions: bonnie
Every online car forum that allows for sale posts and comments on the posts has the same issue: people make comments. And some sellers complain. If those sellers don’t want comments they can use craigslist or Autotrader or many other sites that don’t allow comments.
From what I've seen, most people commenting have no intentions to even buy the vehicle. They are simply there "Post Dumping" to impose their dismay on someone else' thread. If you don't like the price, move on. The OP will eventually figure out that their price is probably too high (since over-pricing seems to be the issue on this forum).

From what I've seen, most people commenting have no intentions to even buy the vehicle. They are simply there "Post Dumping" to impose their dismay on someone else' thread. If you don't like the price, move on. The OP will eventually figure out that their price is probably too high (since over-pricing seems to be the issue on this forum).

True. It's hard to find the balance on pricing. I think 70k for mine is right but I said 67k to sell quickly. I think most people have an idea about cost however alot of people try to minimize the depreciation; which is steep on the first two years. I am affected by it but got great deals on both. My X was the better of the two.

I didn't see the initial posts as out of line, but rather politely inquiring, since they'd had a lower quote with a somewhat similar build. You're posting an ad for free on an internet chat forum. You should expect comments.

I agree. The initial replies were very polite until the OP started taking offense and cursing.

In general I appreciate the comments on the for sale threads, and the most common negative comments are in the line of the "You can't sell it for $50000 because Tesla CPO sells the same car for $45000" type of deal.

It's human nature to comment when they perceive that someone is trying to rip other people off. I personally appreciate those comments..

If you don't like the price, move on. The OP will eventually figure out that their price is probably too high (since over-pricing seems to be the issue on this forum).

I don't agree with this. Not on TMC. We're a community of people who share ideas and look out for each other. It's not appropriate for us to stand idly by when someone is trying to take advantage of one of our own.

There are other avenues available for sellers who are trying to sell something for over fair market value. eBay and Craigslist comes to mind.

I've seen a lot of "dooshbaggary." Here are a few, for example:

1. Sellers failing to disclose that there vehicle has been rented through Turo
2. Body repair being advertised as minor dings
3. Car being advertised as Fed tax credit eligible with direct Tesla purchase (even though Carfax had two owners)
4. Car bought at a Manheim auction for $32k, listed for double with a made up acquisition story

I agree with deonb, as a community we like to look out for each other. I see many posts where the seller is intentionally trying to fool someone. I think the comments keep people more honest as compared to Craigslist, Autotrader, Cars, etc.. I'm sure some replies are nonsensical, trolling, etc., but as a whole, this community is better with comments then without.

Reactions: deonb and Olds442