Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rapid discharge while parked at airport, how to contact a human for help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure but this seems a good way to stop vampire drain.

Attachments

• vampire.JPG
    vampire.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
As others have said, turn off sentry mode. Unfortunately there is now another battery hog that can not be turned off remotely: Smart Summon standby mode. It keeps the computer running just in case you want to summon your car. By default it's on when the car is away from favorite locations. If you haven't turned it off, it will run down the battery until it's under 20%.

That's what service did for me. They had me turn off smart summon. I had the EXACT same issue parked at TPA. You must turn off smart summon, Come to me, feature. It will drain your battery. Turn it on when needed.

That's what service did for me. They had me turn off smart summon. I had the EXACT same issue parked at TPA. You must turn off smart summon, Come to me, feature. It will drain your battery. Turn it on when needed.

Did they do it remotely or they went physically there to do it? I didn't even care about smart summon until I found out they enabled it on default for my Model 3. I quickly realized that from looking at the parked battery lost.

Actually you can leave Smart Summon enabled, you just need to turn off the standby mode. You can still use Smart Summon, but you may have to wait for a few seconds for the car to wake up after launching the app.

Reactions: brkaus
The seat sensor is an interesting one too. Do you have any heavy items in a seat? I've loaded the front seat with enough junk that the seatbelt warning comes on. All cars can think someone is sitting in an empty seat if there's enough weight.

When I'm in public I never walk away from the car for good until I hear it honk and see the mirrors fold in.
Regarding the slightly cracked doors....that comes from my passengers. Despite me telling them to slam the doors shut, they try to be super careful and baby the car. It's a novelty item for them so they don't want to play rough :)

In the winter it is not advised to auto fold the mirrors. They can freeze in that position. It doesn't even have to be freezing rain or similar. Since water hides in the crevices any freezing weather can lock your mirror to the car. I know, I've had it happen. Tesla considers freezing temperatures to be "adverse conditions".

Rather than have a mode, such as "Airport mode" the car should have profiles.
You could then have a profile, such as "long term parking" which, obviously could be used at home, an airport or anywhere.
Another profile could be "winter commuting" or "summer road trip"
In each you could set your HVAC temp, and other settings with just one tap or voice command.
In the setup screen you could configure all the vampire electrical drains and HVAC when the car is parked as well as HVAC and maybe other stuff when it is driving

Rather than have a mode, such as "Airport mode" the car should have profiles.
You could then have a profile, such as "long term parking" which, obviously could be used at home, an airport or anywhere.
Another profile could be "winter commuting" or "summer road trip"
In each you could set your HVAC temp, and other settings with just one tap or voice command.
In the setup screen you could configure all the vampire electrical drains and HVAC when the car is parked as well as HVAC and maybe other stuff when it is driving
Great idea! Could also do a Car Wash profile that puts it in neutral, turns off the wipers, and folds the mirrors.

Not sure if a Profile would work because it might interfere with existing driver profiles. But maybe a separate "Mode" or something like that could work very well.

Story end: The leak slowed to a trickle in the mid forties and by the time I got back I had 38 miles left. To rub it in, the warning for reduced range due to low outside temperature immediately came on. However, by limping home, driving 45mph on the freeway, I made it back with 10 miles on dial. Hopefully I didn't hurt the battery by draining it so close to zero. Up to this point I had been babying it by keeping it between 40% and 80%.

As a side note, I don't remember if I had fully charged my 2015 Nissan Leaf before I left, but when I got home, it still had 93% of its tiny battery left.

Story end: The leak slowed to a trickle in the mid forties and by the time I got back I had 38 miles left. To rub it in, the warning for reduced range due to low outside temperature immediately came on. However, by limping home, driving 45mph on the freeway, I made it back with 10 miles on dial. Hopefully I didn't hurt the battery by draining it so close to zero. Up to this point I had been babying it by keeping it between 40% and 80%.

As a side note, I don't remember if I had fully charged my 2015 Nissan Leaf before I left, but when I got home, it still had 93% of its tiny battery left.

Not sure it was mentioned summon standby will drain battery too. if set correctly your can sit for months. I’ve had as low as 1 mile every 2 day’s. And my car is always set like that because I don’t use features that waste so much power.

No 3rd party apps
No Sentry
No Summon
No cabin overheat
No fob left in or near car

WiFi is always on.

Sorry if this was mentioned but would Power Off work in this situation? How much does it actually turn off?

Also, I would Uber/Lyft there and leave it at home.

I think power down would work but overkill vs making sure the watt gremlins are put to bed.

I’d never leave my Tesla at a public airport parking lot either. I’ll pay for a limo.

Reactions: DeanP