Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rapid discharge while parked at airport, how to contact a human for help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know how to contact service directly??

My Model 3 is losing charge rapidly while parked at the airport and will be dead by the time I return
(170 miles to 63 in one week, two more weeks before I return....yes, climate control is off). I tried to
schedule mobile service, but it wouldn't let me fully describe the problem, specify the actual car
location, or choose a service date prior to my return on the 20th.

I tried the contact us link on Tesla.com and just got referred back to the service app. I googled and
found a number of 1-888-518-3752, but it doesn't connect.

Ideas?

As others have said this was likely caused by Smart Summon Standby Mode.

If you have an LR AWD, you’ll be at about 5% battery upon your return.

Use app widgets on your phone to check the battery status - these will not wake the car. Do not open the app. If applicable, change your Tesla login to disable any third party apps, temporarily.

Obviously if someone can plug the car in for you that would be ideal.

Good luck.

It already exists. power off the car from the screen that will shut down all the extra stuff.

And stop opening the app to wake the car up.

Plus when it gets below 20% the idle power usage is ramped down significantly. The car software doesn’t want the battery to drain to zero either.

While I'm not going to open the app again, I doubt it was a factor. I hadn't opened it at all before checking and finding I was down 100 miles in week.

• Informative
Reactions: CharleyBC
While I'm not going to open the app again, I doubt it was a factor. I hadn't opened it at all before checking and finding I was down 100 miles in week.

Yeah, it is not a major factor unless you are constantly keeping the car awake. But definitely best to use the widgets in the current situation now that you are below 20% (assuming LR). It could now be a major factor since the major draws are turned off.

Last edited:
What would airport mode do?
My vision of an Airport Mode is an option list to tick off what you want to happen and what the effects will be. For example, right now the car stops eating up power at the 20% point. I'd like the option to choose other levels - 50% - 30% - whatever. I'd like to use Sentry Mode, but not if it kills the battery. Simplify the decisions, show the results of the decisions.

My vision of an Airport Mode is an option list to tick off what you want to happen and what the effects will be. For example, right now the car stops eating up power at the 20% point. I'd like the option to choose other levels - 50% - 30% - whatever. I'd like to use Sentry Mode, but not if it kills the battery. Simplify the decisions, show the results of the decisions.

They really need a bunch of macros like that...airport mode, car wash mode, etc.

Will the power off command buried in the menus keep all that stuff shut off? Or will it all power back up if you wake it via the app (can you wake it via the app at that point)?

Two quick thoughts:

1: Would like to emphasize some in standby mode being a major cause of this. I had a similar problem at the airport a few weeks ago, sentry mode was off the whole time. But the car did not want to sleep, switching off Summon standby mode cured this.

2: This is one of my favorite features of TeslaFi. With “Sleep mode“ the site stops pulling to permit the car to go to sleep. It will only resume polling when the car wakes up, so you have a safe way of checking your status without forcing a wake up on each check. The data displayed while the car is sleeping is what was last reported to mother Tesla when it was awake. Extremely useful when you were out of town and trying to monitor your car while conserving power.

376343FA-C13F-4EC8-A62E-F045F433E929.jpeg

This is one of my favorite features of TeslaFi. With “Sleep mode“ the site stops pulling to permit the car to go to sleep. It will only resume polling when the car wakes up, so you have a safe way of checking your status without forcing a wake up on each check. The data displayed while the car is sleeping is what was last reported to mother Tesla when it was awake. Extremely useful when you were out of town and trying to monitor your car while conserving power.

This feature is also available natively with the Tesla app widget, which is available to everyone.

This is an example when the car is charging, but when it is asleep the widget ensures it stays asleep, unless you ask for a wake up.

And yes, this issue is caused by Smart Summon Standby Mode - when that's on, it barely matters whether or not you are constantly waking your car up. But it turns off at 20% with a variety of other features and you'll revert to 1% loss per day (unless you've turned off a bunch of features (data sharing, USB devices, WiFi, etc.) which might get you to 0.5% per day).

03B8C538-F6E6-41C5-A6B2-5D5E5E4C92B7.jpeg

Last edited:
@haliboot assuming your home is not too far away, you will be fine. It will stop the major drain at 20%.

Which lot are you in? FastPark (TheFastPark&Relax) has EV charging. They have more parking spaces than nozzles but the staff moves the “hose” around. I typically skip it. I’m 15 miles away, but had to use it once when I was returning from College Station empty and flying out directly.

I wish the official airport lot would get 120v. If they wanted to charge a premium, they could use the same system they used for reserved parking. Pay online, put a receipt on your dashboard. (Parking Information)

• Informative
Reactions: ZappCatt
They really need a bunch of macros like that...airport mode, car wash mode, etc.

I like that. I'll add Drive-In Theater mode too. Had a lot of fun when we went to a local drive-in one time figuring out how set the car so the lights wouldn't come on when you left to go to the concession stand for example. We searched on TMC and finally came up with a solution but it's long since been forgotten. Would just be nice to do one thing and go into a mode that works for your situation.

BTW I've looked at my Tesla Widget app on occasion and was grayed out and said the car was asleep and I needed to go to the app.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
This feature is also available natively with the Tesla app widget, which is available to everyone.

Is that native Tesla app widget available on Android? When trying to add widgets to my phone Home screen, I see a ton(including Tesla Desktop) but nothing from the Tesla app(which is installed and has been logged into on my phone.

I do not YET have a car, so maybe the widget does not "install itself" until a car has been connected to the app?

@AlanSubie4Life

Are we for sure that the widget doesnt wake the car ? Where did you get that info from ?

Yes, we are 100% sure. Just try it yourself. It is pretty clear. If the car is asleep it tells you that (along with the last recorded stage of charge and the time of that update), and it stays that way. It's much faster than opening the app - the only downside is that it may not represent the actual state of charge (will be delayed of course - but will update whenever the car wakes up, which is pretty frequently).

Last edited: