Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rapid tire wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello friends,

My 2022 model 3 LFP has an odometer of 2166 miles (most in-town & a bit mountainous driving). Last week, I went for a service visit and they assessed the tire depths and below are the results. I am a normal driver and seldom punched the pedal. First, I thought the rapid wear was due to wheel misalignment, but all tires worn out evenly. So I wonder what are your thoughts on it? Thank you!

Check tire pressure and condition
Tread Depth Measure Type
32nds
Tread depth
Front Driver Outer: 7
Front Driver Middle: 7
Front Driver Inner: 7
Front Passenger Outer: 7
Front Passenger Middle: 7
Front Passenger Inner: 7
Back Driver Outer: 6
Back Driver Middle: 6
Back Driver Inner: 6
Back Passenger Outer: 6
Back Passenger Middle: 6
Back Passenger Inner: 6
Tire replacement recommended
No
Tire rotation recommended
No

• Funny
Reactions: Sam1 and lUtriaNt
Don’t quote me on this, but I believe the OEM Michelins start with 8/32 tread, even if the retail tire starts with 10/32 tread depth.
According to https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+MXM4 , the T1 version of 235/45/18 with 98 load rating has 8/32" tread.

Still, using up 1/32" to 2/32" in 2,166 miles means that you may get about 4,332 to 8,664 miles before the tires get to 4/32" (somewhat riskier in wet conditions) and 6,498 to 12,996 miles before the tires get to 2/32" (legal minimum). That is quite rapid tire wear for a "grand touring" tire.

Or it could just be measurement error.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Upvote 0
According to https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Primacy+MXM4 , the T1 version of 235/45/18 with 98 load rating has 8/32" tread.

Still, using up 1/32" to 2/32" in 2,166 miles means that you may get about 4,332 to 8,664 miles before the tires get to 4/32" (somewhat riskier in wet conditions) and 6,498 to 12,996 miles before the tires get to 2/32" (legal minimum). That is quite rapid tire wear for a "grand touring" tire.

Or it could just be measurement error.

Thanks for the information. I also reached out to Michelin and raised the concern and here is their response.

"Thank you for reaching out for clarification. Yes that means your tire would not be covered under warranty as it was OEM on a 2022 vehicle. However, at Michelin we always try to assist our customers and we may be able to provide goodwill for your situation. This is why we would like the inspection done on your tires. With that being said if you are worried about rapidwear we only consider this at tread depths of 4 or lower."

I hope they will give me a discount when I buy a new set of tires.

Upvote 0
I think I’m experiencing something similar 2022 Model 3 LR. Had my tires to be schedule to be rototaed at ~7500 miles (took a while to get service appointment that would fit) and the service guy said the rear tires were at a 3 front tires at a 5. I wouldn’t consider myself an agreed I’ve driver but we do have the settings to take advantage or regenatice braking and accelerate to beat cars once in a while. The service guy said my tires were overinflated (45 or 47 psi probably due to the heat increase during the summer which didn’t make much sense to me unless they were over inflated when delivered), but my TPMS didn’t show the air pressure that high when driving so I didn’t realize there was an issue.

Upvote 0
Some general things to keep in mind with tire wear on EVs:

• EVs tend to be heavy (batteries) relative to their tire width (narrow to improve range). This causes faster wear.
  • EVs often are equipped with low rolling resistance tires to improve range. These often have less tread to begin with, so while the compound isn't super soft, there isn't as much of it to begin with.
  • Tesla often fails to align the cars from the factory. Alignment being off can accelerate your tire wear a little, or a TON, depending on how out of whack it is. Check it!
  • EVs have a lot of power on tap, if you use it, faster tire wear!
  • If you got one of the performance tire options, this is maybe your first time with soft tires, they wear fast! Welcome to the world of motoring enthusiasts.

Reactions: reds2k1 and MDeM3
Upvote 0