Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rare Find - 2013 P85+ Only 8600 Mile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Forum,

I am new to forum and Tesla. So I have a very low mileage Mercedes S560 AMG and was looking for a 2nd car to use as a commuter car for work (60 miles round trip). I knew I wanted a Model S P85 because of the room; it has a driver's dash and an 85K battery. So I ventured to look for a low-mileage P85, and my budget was between $30K-$35K. Well, I think I lucked out and found a rare find/deal.

I end up finding and buying a 2013 P85+ with only 8600 original miles with the following specs:

• Pearl White Multi-Coat
  • Sunroof
  • Performance Plus Pkg
  • Smart Air Suspension
  • Pearl White Multi-Coat
  • 21" Silver Turbine wheels (Staggered) w/Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires (6/32 thread on all tires)
  • Black leather/Suede seats with red piping
  • Carbon Fiber interior
  • Carbon Fiber Spoiler
  • Cream Alcantar headliner
  • Sub-zero package
  • Tech Package
  • Rear Face Jump Seats
  • Premium high-fidelity sound
  • Twin onboard Chargers (I see 80A)
  • High Power Charger
  • Free Unlimited Supercharging
  • Premium Connectivity Free Unlimited
  • Clean Carfax (1 owner)
The car is basically new, with no wear and tear on either the interior or exterior. I charged the car to 100% to check the battery's health, and the estimated range was 260 (I will cap the charge at 80%) Again, the all tire thread is between 6/32 and 7/32.

So here is the back story of why this 2013 P85+ has exceptionally low mileage. This car belonged to Dan, and Tanya Synder, the owners of the Washington Redskins, and they kept it garaged as he is a car collector. (The profile on the screen still said Tanya.) The owner of the Dealership (VA/DC area) where I brought the car had to reach out to (Dan/Tanya to remove ownership; the transfer took 24 hours to be assigned to me.

With tags and tax, I paid $39,900 (actually $36,500,. So the questions I have for the forum are:

• Was this a good price? I checked KBB it has it in the $42K-$46K
  • Is there anything else I should be checking for?
  • I would love to her some thoughts
My only concern is there is no warranty, but I figured with the low miles, wear and tear and who previously owned it, it was worth a taken a chance. It was driven over 9 years, so I assume if something needed to be replaced, it would have already. I have an appointment with Tesla on 12/23 to check the car, so I will see if I can get the Tesla Service history. I have driven it for a week now and can't find any issues, and the handling is superb (Remember, I am coming from a 2020 S560 AMG line that I refuse to part with). I bit the Tesla bug, and thus far, I am impressed and don't regret it. (at least not yet 🤨 )
  • I will be doing the MCU2 upgrade.
Thanks to all in advance, and indulging me in this long post!

Here is a Flickr video of the car and below are some pictures

52568072106_ff024a9460_o.jpg

52567610157_c95d5ed05b_o.jpg

52567610447_c84f74c01c_o.jpg

52568517360_989b141ca6_o.jpg
52568348854_a2bfc368f2_o.jpg

You found a real gem here. The ownership history alone makes this car more valuable. While not as famous as Jay Leno, Snyder is definitely very well known. I remember the Jay Leno car going to action and fetching well above market value. Also 8,000 miles is amazing. While there has been PLENTY of debate about Tesla battery degradation, it appears yours is either replaced or shows zero sign of calendar aging. You can join tessie and see what your degradation is because I’m very curious. There just isn’t any way imo an original 85kwh battery can be showing 260 nearly 10 years later. In fact I owned a vin in 12k range and I never recall it showing over 250. It was a low mileage vehicle as well. I bet the original sticker on this car was 128k. Regarding no warranty hopefully you won’t run into any huge issues. I know there are people on this forum that say avoid 2012 and 2013 models because they were plagued with problems. Time will tell if you will have these or if they are related to much more driving activity. PS I bought a 2015 model s this year with 4300 miles on it. Probably similar situation except the former owner of my car isn’t famous. I had a repair within 1.5 months of owning the car the coolant heater failed. Instead of a goodwil repair made by Tesla they charged me $200 to use the extended service. I thought this was questionable with 5,xxx miles on the car. Regardless I love the model s and you will be very happy with it. It’s an extraordinary car and far superior to the 3, especially for what you paid.
Thanks for your beautiful post, it instilled some confidence in my purchase.

Yes, I read about the older P85 problems, especially the HPv motor, the sunroof seal and the condensation on the battery. I will get some of the recomendations that was posted on this forum done. It is such a shame that Tesla can't tell you the service history of a given Tesla, that will help a lot of Tesla owners. Well, I am not dwelling on what might happen but enjoying the beautiful ride of the P85+ and pray that nothing major happens.

As far as the battery degradation, it was at 260 when I first charged it, but when I charged it a 2nd time, a couple of days ago, at 100% it was 255, but it was much colder then when I charged it the 2nd time. Maybe the cold had something to do with it or perhaps a fluke. I think 255 is still great for an 9+ year old car. I will take a picture next time I fully charge it.

It seems like you got a good deal as well with only 4300 miles for your 2015...not bad. I hope you're enjoying your car as well.

So far I am very pleased with my Model S, especially my version, and why I cannot compare it to my S-Class as they are two different beasts, the Tesla S can hold its own. I get lot of compliments and people still can't believe it's a 2013 with that low mileage and how exceptional clean and new it looks.

Thanks for chiming in with your opinion. Enjoy your Tesla. Have a lovely day.

Thanks

Kind regards

Reactions: tesluv108
Upvote 0
Nice find. But if the tires are original, you must change them. Tires degrade over time. Don't risk your life and the car by using those tires.
I agree with you regarding the tires. I remember a couple years ago I bought an S-Class in California and I had to replace the tires all within a month probably due to the California heat. Most of the time with dry rotted.

I'm only doing local driving with my Tesla, as it is just a commuter car, and I'm not doing no heavy acceleration. Hopefully, these tires will fare better, especially since this car was garaged kept kept with the rest of his (Dan Snyder) cars. Your point is very valid though.

Thanks for your response.

Kind Regards

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Upvote 0
It looks nice, this is the first time I heard of such a super low-mileage Tesla, check out 057tech.com, they can do the preventive fixes for the battery drain issue and probably can check the battery health at the same time.
You are the second person who mentioned this. I am going to go to 057tech now to see if they are available in my area.

Thank you for your response.

Kind regards

Reactions: cleverscreenam
Upvote 0
If you're buying it from a third party dealer then the FUSC will be removed in as little as a couple of months and as long as 6 months depending on how long it takes Tesla to see the change of ownership.

If you're buying it from a private party and it hasn't recently been bought by them from third party dealer and hasn't gone through an auction, then have them sign into their account and navigate to the page for that vehicle. Right click on the vehicle image under the "details" link and select open image in new tab/page. View the URL of that image and verify that it has the option code of SC01 somewhere in the URL.

If it was sold to them by a third party dealer or passed through any auction, it won't matter if SC01 is present at this moment. It will eventually be removed and the replaced with SC04.

I believe what you write about FUSC cancellation if a 3rd party dealer is involved , for a car of this era, is true only if at some point Tesla has held title to the vehicle after the original owner. Doing it in other cases would almost certainly be illegal.

In this case it sounds like the OP bought the car from a 3rd party who bought it directly from the first owner. Tesla has no legal right to cancel FUSC in such cases.

Given Tesla's business practices lately I wouldn't be shocked to hear this were happening, but - have you actually got evidence of it?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the wonderful insight, and the vote of confidence in the FUSC. I have been looking at the X-care warranty. I am not familiar with 057Tech battery plan, but will take a look.

Is X-care one of the better warranty companies for Tesla?

Thanks, once again.

Kind Regards
I believe it is one of the better warranties (I bought one), and as you are considering it, keep in mind that X-care's rates go up with every 10,000 mileage increment. So if you buy it, make sure to buy it before you hit 10,000 miles.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your beautiful post, it instilled some confidence in my purchase.

Yes, I read about the older P85 problems, especially the HPv motor, the sunroof seal and the condensation on the battery. I will get some of the recomendations that was posted on this forum done. It is such a shame that Tesla can't tell you the service history of a given Tesla, that will help a lot of Tesla owners. Well, I am not dwelling on what might happen but enjoying the beautiful ride of the P85+ and pray that nothing major happens.

As far as the battery degradation, it was at 260 when I first charged it, but when I charged it a 2nd time, a couple of days ago, at 100% it was 255, but it was much colder then when I charged it the 2nd time. Maybe the cold had something to do with it or perhaps a fluke. I think 255 is still great for an 9+ year old car. I will take a picture next time I fully charge it.

It seems like you got a good deal as well with only 4300 miles for your 2015...not bad. I hope you're enjoying your car as well.

So far I am very pleased with my Model S, especially my version, and why I cannot compare it to my S-Class as they are two different beasts, the Tesla S can hold its own. I get lot of compliments and people still can't believe it's a 2013 with that low mileage and how exceptional clean and new it looks.

Thanks for chiming in with your opinion. Enjoy your Tesla. Have a lovely day.

Thanks

Kind regards
To me it’s worth it at least for one month to get the Tessie app. It will show you what it calculates as your true degradation after several 5+ kwh charges. Then it will give you a reading like this
164A2696-2521-4CDE-9624-6BD086CE040F.png

Reactions: karkrazy
Upvote 0
I believe what you write about FUSC cancellation if a 3rd party dealer is involved , for a car of this era, is true only if at some point Tesla has held title to the vehicle after the original owner. Doing it in other cases would almost certainly be illegal.

I agree that the cases where it hasn't passed through Tesla's ownership should be illegal. There's no disputing there are numerous cases where FUSC was stripped after an SC01 car passes through an auction. There are claims, some seem to be proven, that SC01 was stripped after passing through a 3rd party dealer without having gone through an auction.

• Informative
Upvote 0
To me it’s worth it at least for one month to get the Tessie app. It will show you what it calculates as your true degradation after several 5+ kwh charges. Then it will give you a reading like this
View attachment 887112
I installed the Tessie app and it seems like a great little app: it is still learn. I just finished charging at 85% cap, and here is a screenshot from the Tessie app. Are these numbers good for a 2013 P85+?. I have battery pack "B" if that matters.

Screenshot_20221220_153650.jpg
Screenshot_20221220_153933.jpg

Upvote 0
I installed the Tessie app and it seems like a great little app: it is still learn. I just finished charging at 85% cap, and here is a screenshot from the Tessie app. Are these numbers good for a 2013 P85+?. I have battery pack "B" if that matters.

View attachment 887226View attachment 887227
I need someone else with an 85 of your year to post their Tessie stats. The first thing that seems off to me is how could we have only 4 miles difference of rated range when I have 81.3 kwh of usable capacity versus 77 kwh for your car. I believe my max range says 265 for a 90kwh battery. Tesla won’t tell you but I wish they would tell you if the battery was swapped. You could you also show this to the thread and get opinions on if there has been zero calendar aging or a swapped to new / refurb battery! Search for below thread there are 54 pages of data

What should my ideal charge percentage be? “​

Upvote 0
I need someone else with an 85 of your year to post their Tessie stats. The first thing that seems off to me is how could we have only 4 miles difference of rated range when I have 81.3 kwh of usable capacity versus 77 kwh for your car. I believe my max range says 265 for a 90kwh battery. Tesla won’t tell you but I wish they would tell you if the battery was swapped. You could you also show this to the thread and get opinions on if there has been zero calendar aging or a swapped to new / refurb battery! Search for below thread there are 54 pages of data

What should my ideal charge percentage be? “​

The rated range for new 2013 S 85 was 265 (I think P model was the same). With only 8,600 miles it's reasonable that the battery hasn't experienced the typical 7-8% drop before leveling off.

@Mcseyk1 it almost makes one think about taking such a pristine car off the road as collectors item. But that's not much fun.

Upvote 0
The rated range for new 2013 S 85 was 265 (I think P model was the same). With only 8,600 miles it's reasonable that the battery hasn't experienced the typical 7-8% drop before leveling off.

@Mcseyk1 it almost makes one think about taking such a pristine car off the road as collectors item. But that's not much fun.

Not only is the P model the same, the battery and DUs are identical. The power differences was strictly a software setting.

Upvote 0
From everything I understand (could be wrong), I'm pretty sure in 2013 there was a standard rear motor size in the 60 and 85 S, and large rear motor in the P85 / P85+.

Yea, that's wrong. Only the dual motor performance variations later had a larger rear motor.

The reason the EPA range is the same in the 85 and P85 is because they are identical motors.

Upvote 0
Yea, that's wrong. Only the dual motor performance variations later had a larger rear motor.

The reason the EPA range is the same in the 85 and P85 is because they are identical motors.
That's interesting; I didn't think Tesla was software limiting back then. So you are saying the 2014 P85D retained the larger rear motor vs. 85D which has a new, smaller motor in front and rear?

Upvote 0
That's interesting; I didn't think Tesla was software limiting back then. So you are saying the 2014 P85D retained the larger rear motor vs. 85D which has a new, smaller motor in front and rear?

Yes. 85D and P85D same front motor with P85D larger rear motor.

S85 and P85 same motor but technically different part number because the inverter was binned for durability for higher output. That hasn't stopped some from hacking the firmware to turn their S85s into P85s. Also, some have reported Tesla using the non performance part number of the DU for their P85 DU replacement.

Upvote 0
Nice find. But if the tires are original, you must change them. Tires degrade over time. Don't risk your life and the car by using those tires.
Climate controlled garage, most likely.

I’d keep using the tires and just wear them out, BUT keep an eye on them as they are mildly aged.

Great purchase; please keep us posted on how it ages with you in the future!

Upvote 0
Hi Forum,

I am new to forum and Tesla. So I have a very low mileage Mercedes S560 AMG and was looking for a 2nd car to use as a commuter car for work (60 miles round trip). I knew I wanted a Model S P85 because of the room; it has a driver's dash and an 85K battery. So I ventured to look for a low-mileage P85, and my budget was between $30K-$35K. Well, I think I lucked out and found a rare find/deal.

I end up finding and buying a 2013 P85+ with only 8600 original miles with the following specs:

• Pearl White Multi-Coat
  • Sunroof
  • Performance Plus Pkg
  • Smart Air Suspension
  • Pearl White Multi-Coat
  • 21" Silver Turbine wheels (Staggered) w/Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires (6/32 thread on all tires)
  • Black leather/Suede seats with red piping
  • Carbon Fiber interior
  • Carbon Fiber Spoiler
  • Cream Alcantar headliner
  • Sub-zero package
  • Tech Package
  • Rear Face Jump Seats
  • Premium high-fidelity sound
  • Twin onboard Chargers (I see 80A)
  • High Power Charger
  • Free Unlimited Supercharging
  • Premium Connectivity Free Unlimited
  • Clean Carfax (1 owner)
The car is basically new, with no wear and tear on either the interior or exterior. I charged the car to 100% to check the battery's health, and the estimated range was 260 (I will cap the charge at 80%) Again, the all tire thread is between 6/32 and 7/32.

So here is the back story of why this 2013 P85+ has exceptionally low mileage. This car belonged to Dan, and Tanya Synder, the owners of the Washington Redskins, and they kept it garaged as he is a car collector. (The profile on the screen still said Tanya.) The owner of the Dealership (VA/DC area) where I brought the car had to reach out to (Dan/Tanya to remove ownership; the transfer took 24 hours to be assigned to me.

With tags and tax, I paid $39,900 (actually $36,500,. So the questions I have for the forum are:

• Was this a good price? I checked KBB it has it in the $42K-$46K
  • Is there anything else I should be checking for?
  • I would love to her some thoughts
My only concern is there is no warranty, but I figured with the low miles, wear and tear and who previously owned it, it was worth a taken a chance. It was driven over 9 years, so I assume if something needed to be replaced, it would have already. I have an appointment with Tesla on 12/23 to check the car, so I will see if I can get the Tesla Service history. I have driven it for a week now and can't find any issues, and the handling is superb (Remember, I am coming from a 2020 S560 AMG line that I refuse to part with). I bit the Tesla bug, and thus far, I am impressed and don't regret it. (at least not yet 🤨 )
  • I will be doing the MCU2 upgrade.
Thanks to all in advance, and indulging me in this long post!

Here is a Flickr video of the car and below are some pictures

View attachment 885964

View attachment 885965

View attachment 885966

View attachment 885967View attachment 885968
Sir! How can I get in contact with you? I think this car may be for sale near me and I’d love to chat about the vehicle. Thank you.

Upvote 0