Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rare signed tesla founders series, for sale collectors only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So for the poster about the batteries. 2170S are not in the powerwalls they are simple 18650s, 480 to be exact and yes they are purchasable.. Panasonic I have the model number as well..

No, it didn't fall off a truck, or from a dumpster in the back of gigafactory.. I did like that response though.. :)

It took me 2 years to get.. it's a long story, but you won't find another... I do have a few emails though, so thanks :)

. 2170S are not in the powerwalls they are simple 18650s, 480 to be exact and yes they are purchasable.. Panasonic I have the model number as well..

Not according to this:
Tesla Powerwall 2 Now Shipping With 2170 Gigafactory Batteries Inside
Tesla Powerwall - Wikipedia

Battery size aside, it's not like you can just buy 480 raw cells and dump them into the PW2 and expect it to work. There are sub modules with batteries wired together in series to up the voltage, and then the submodules wired together in parallel to up the amperage (or possibly the other way around). Have you ever seen the inside of a battery pack from a car? It's not just loose batteries piled up. The point is, without the module cases, fusible links, bus bars, cooling, and other battery mounting hardware, it's not as simple as buying batteries and popping them in like AA batteries in a flashlight. And good luck getting all that hardware from Tesla. So unless a buyer swaps out the cover with another powerwall, I seriously doubt someone would be able to convert your PW2 shell into a working PW. You'd have to find someone really hard-up for a signed PW2 to effectively double their cost. GLWS.

Be sure to let us know if somebody springs for this. Personally, I don't get the whole "collecting" thing, and my thought is that Elon would need to be long dead and Tesla have been either a huge success or a famous bust for this to have a lot of value...but what do I know. My one thought is to gather as much provenance that proves the origin and that he actually signed it as you can.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
So for the poster about the batteries. 2170S are not in the powerwalls they are simple 18650s, 480 to be exact and yes they are purchasable.. Panasonic I have the model number as well..

No, it didn't fall off a truck, or from a dumpster in the back of gigafactory.. I did like that response though.. :)

It took me 2 years to get.. it's a long story, but you won't find another... I do have a few emails though, so thanks :)

Cool story bro... tell us another
Time to stop digging your hole even deeper... you have been proven wrong on the Tesla 2170 batteries and continue to dig :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
I really hate to be the jerk... but come on you keep bashing...
First off i have pictures of the regional manager in my area opening it... he was the one who got the honor to remove the plastic cover...
I have emails from board of directors, regarding my obtaining this unit... Davewill, i have proof this is legit :) I also have the shipping invoice for it, and the thank you letter for all i have done for Telsa in regards to their powerwalls...

Now the technical crap....

posted April 2019.....
Tesla battery supplier Panasonic is considering switching 18650 cell production to 2170 cells - Electrek

Here's two attachments, Panasonics 18650, and the Tesla powerwall 2....
There are 444 cells per unit, i've seen them built, and have seen others reproduce them.
Yes i know they need individual fuses that cross each parallel or series that will burn themselves at exactly 6amps to prevent run away burn out.

Typing this without my data in front of me which each cell can handle CDR 40 amp max output? don't remember just off the top of my head..

I had this argument with my city permitting as they would not allow the installation of my real units without a ton of data...
I have every shred but of course it has my address on it, and quiet frankly not worth the time to edit out...

Here is also someone who actually builds them DIY, and yes he does get access to these battery packs, and sells batteries for really good prices....
Genuine Lithium Batteries for DIY Projects
you can get 100 batteries for 140$...

So no, the 2170's were not in production at the time of my purchase, nor do i think they are actually in production today.

I still have emails coming, just come on guys quit busting my crap just because i'm selling a legit item that is no longer obtainable, and even if you could would take a huge amount of effort, permitting the removal from the first home, un-installation and reinstall...?

I don't like getting snappy....I apologize, come on though...

Attachments

• NCR18650B.pdf
    459.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Powerwall 2_AC_Datasheet_en_northamerica.pdf
    276.3 KB · Views: 35
Now the technical crap....
posted April 2019..... Tesla battery supplier Panasonic is considering switching 18650 cell production to 2170 cells - Electrek
Here's two attachments, Panasonics 18650, and the Tesla powerwall 2....
There are 444 cells per unit, i've seen them built, and have seen others reproduce them.
Yes i know they need individual fuses that cross each parallel or series that will burn themselves at exactly 6amps to prevent run away burn out.
Typing this without my data in front of me which each cell can handle CDR 40 amp max output? don't remember just off the top of my head..
I had this argument with my city permitting as they would not allow the installation of my real units without a ton of data...
I have every shred but of course it has my address on it, and quiet frankly not worth the time to edit out...
Here is also someone who actually builds them DIY, and yes he does get access to these battery packs, and sells batteries for really good prices....
Genuine Lithium Batteries for DIY Projects
you can get 100 batteries for 140$...

So no, the 2170's were not in production at the time of my purchase, nor do i think they are actually in production today.

I'm confused. Nothing you posted says Tesla is using 18650s in the PW2, in fact, it says that the 18650s are only used in MS/MX platforms and that Panasonic is considering moving to a 2170 production line. The PW2 spec sheet does not specify battery type.

And what does some DIYers building their own PWs out of 18650s have to do with anything?

It's pretty common knowledge around here that Model 3 and PW2 both use 2170s exclusively. If you were that instrumental in helping Tesla with the Powerwalls, I would suspect you would know that really basic fact.

and the thank you letter for all i have done for Telsa in regards to their powerwalls...

What have you done? That sounds like an interesting story.

I'm confused. Nothing you posted says Tesla is using 18650s in the PW2, in fact, it says that the 18650s are only used in MS/MX platforms and that Panasonic is considering moving to a 2170 production line. The PW2 spec sheet does not specify battery type.

And what does some DIYers building their own PWs out of 18650s have to do with anything?

It's pretty common knowledge around here that Model 3 and PW2 both use 2170s exclusively. If you were that instrumental in helping Tesla with the Powerwalls, I would suspect you would know that really basic fact.

What have you done? That sounds like an interesting story.

Think OP has been caught spinning stories!