TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rash of "Vehicle Connection Errors"

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by David29, Feb 27, 2019.

1. David29

David29 Supporting Member

In the past couple of weeks, I have gotten numerous "vehicle connection errors" when try to preheat the car in my condo parking lot. So I am unable to start the HVAC, and in the current cold spell this means a very cold cabin and a cold battery when I go for my first trip of the day. Although I have had them occasionally before over the 3-1/2 years I have had the car, these errors were infrequent -- until these past couple weeks. I park in the same place, so I cannot easily see anything that would account for the increase in connection failures. In recent days I have been unable to start the heating on most attempts. It seems to work better elsewhere, though, so it might relate to something about my parking lot or the AT&T signal in this area.
    What is especially odd is that the car can apparently connect to the AT&T network to send notifications. E.g., an hour or so it sent me a notification that the battery charging was complete. But now i cannot start the heat. This makes no sense to me.
    At the risk of confusing sequence of actions with causes, i will note that it seems to have started, or gotten worse, since I got the latest update. I am on 2018.5.6.
    Anyone else with similar change in vehicle connection success rates?

2. evM3Sekar

evM3Sekar Member

I got the dreaded "vehicle connection error". After a few unsuccessful attempt, at the suggestion of a blog, I logged out of the app, and tried logging in back again. Now the app has my car's name, nothing else like control, and still has the same issue - vehicle connection error.

Need help. 1 week old M3 LR RWD. Thanks.

3. David29

To follow up on my own post, this problem has continued, but mainly or perhaps entirely in my own condo parking lot. For awhile, I thought it might be because of snow banks around the parking space, possibly somehow reflecting or otherwise interfering with the AT&T signal, but now those are gone and the connection issue remains. I can connect to my car only about once in 6 or 8 tries from the house. There is one other location where i seem to be having frequent failures of the audio stream. If I am playing a podcast, I lose it and cannot regain it. So this may reflect a problem with the AT&T signal in those locations, or maybe some issue with the car's antenna?

4. evM3Sekar

evM3Sekar Member

Update: I was able to use the phone key to enter the car, still no connectivity otherwise, go to work. After walking away, I was able to connect with the car. Don't know why and how it started working. This also means it can stop working.

I don't believe mine had any of @David29's connectivity issues.

5. David29

Today when I returned from a morning trip, I parked in my spouse's parking space instead of in my own space. I found I can connect to the car in this space, at least right now. So I think it is an AT&T problem. Their signal may not be strong enough at my space, even though it is only a few feet from my wife's. My space is close to a high wall on one side and a building on another side, so the signal strength may be lessened by those structures. Still not clear why it was fine for the past three years, though, until this winter....

6. random155

random155 Member

I honestly dont think its an ATT problem. I get vehicle connection errors when my car is parked in my driveway and I'm in my bedroom trying to pre-heat. It seems more prone to have connection errors when the car is plugged in. So far, I've never experienced the issue when the car is unplugged.

• Informative x 1