Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rate my planned charging setup

Watts_Up

Mar 4, 2019
In a galaxy far, far away
I’d consider this if I were you. I did something similar to what you described with a CMC and NEMA 14-50. I’m happy with it since my daughter may need to use the 14-50 for their RV on occasion. Otherwise I would have spent less on a HPWC. Setup is below.
Look very nice. Could show the inside of the bigger box? Can you put your mobile charger inside?

ATPMSD

Mar 12, 2021
Atlanta, GA
For what it is worth I learned something new today:

”Using a 50A plug and receptacle is allowed on a 40A circuit because of an exception in the Electrical Code. The exception is because 40A receptacles do not exist, or rather, are not part of the NEMA standards.”

So my prior comment

Generally the plug should match the breaker, so using a 50 amp plug with a 40 amp breaker as you suggest is likely not code.

Was wrong!

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC