Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rate My quote [PA]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Ive been working with Tesla for a while now back and forth and I'm to the point where I think Im ready to commit. So tell me how this quote sounds.

12.54kw system (38 x 330w panels)
  • 21 south facing landscape
  • 18 north facing portrait
Yearly production is 13,035 kwh
Usage will be around 13,500-14,500 kwh

Ive requested the solarEdge inverter with POs

Total price 30,723 (This is with them keeping the SREC's, I need to switch to managing my own) before incentives.

North facing is almost always a hard stop. What's the rationale?

Are you working with a person or online? Online pricing is currently $2.50/W in all of PA as far as I can tell, and that looks like what you were quoted. My concern would be a salesperson adding those pointless north-facing panels just to boost their commission.

Ask for production projections for the two sides as if they were separate arrays, then question why one is 1/4 the production per panel of the other.

North facing is almost always a hard stop. What's the rationale?

Are you working with a person or online? Online pricing is currently $2.50/W in all of PA as far as I can tell, and that looks like what you were quoted. My concern would be a salesperson adding those pointless north-facing panels just to boost their commission.

Ask for production projections for the two sides as if they were separate arrays, then question why one is 1/4 the production per panel of the other.
I'd guess it's to achieve a minimum number of kWh per day, but of course those panels would be operating at 50% or less efficiency.

I'd considered such mounting myself only because I'm out of space on the SW side, and there's nowhere else to mount to get more kWh.

What's the configuration?

Assuming:
* South-side (21 panels @ 180 azimuth) w 6 panels on 3 strings + 3 panels on 1 string
* North-side (18 panels @ 0 azimuth) w 6 panels on 2 strings + 6 panels on 1 string
at 21 deg tilt with a single SolarEdge SE11400H (@240v):

System Adviser Model says you're only achieve 10,529 kWh annually and the inverter is 65% oversized -- for the 15071 area.

So I requested the north facing to try and offset my whole bill.

I got the info for only south facing panels.

6.93kw - annual production of 8247kwh price of $16,978

So the north facing roof would be 5.61kw - 4788kwh and cost $13,749 extra.

What's the configuration?

Assuming:
* South-side (21 panels @ 180 azimuth) w 6 panels on 3 strings + 3 panels on 1 string
* North-side (18 panels @ 0 azimuth) w 6 panels on 2 strings + 6 panels on 1 string
at 21 deg tilt with a single SolarEdge SE11400H (@240v):

System Adviser Model says you're only achieve 10,529 kWh annually and the inverter is 65% oversized -- for the 15071 area.

Im not sure on the configuration.

So Ive been working with Tesla for a while now back and forth and I'm to the point where I think Im ready to commit. So tell me how this quote sounds.

12.54kw system (38 x 330w panels)
  • 21 south facing landscape
  • 18 north facing portrait
Yearly production is 13,035 kwh
Usage will be around 13,500-14,500 kwh

Ive requested the solarEdge inverter with POs

Total price 30,723 (This is with them keeping the SREC's, I need to switch to managing my own) before incentives.

How steep is your roof? In PA, if the roof is more than 15 degrees, the northern panels will be useless about 9 months out of the year.

Is there east or west surface available? Do they have higher efficiency panels that could be placed on the southern side? I have Solaria 355 panels, not sure if Tesla installs them.

If you don't have other options, I would probably just go with the panels on the southern side. Save the money, and maybe invest is some other energy upgrades in your house - insulation, efficient AC, water heater, etc.