Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rate of charge at using a NEMA 14-50 outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've made arrangements to charge my P90D at a campground in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. They have NEMA 14-50 plug.
If my battery is at 20% when I start charging and I plug in at my Tesla 80 AMP home charger, the display states that the charging rate is about 41 miles/hr.
If the car battery is 20% when I start charging, what would the charging rate be at a 50 AMP connector at a campground?

I'm assuming the OP is asking about an X, not an S since this was posted in an X forum and they have a Sig X listed in the signature.

From Home charging installation:
Simply plug your Mobile Connector cord with the NEMA 14-50 adapter into the outlet and the other end into your vehicle. This installation will provide a recharge rate of about 29 miles of range per hour of charge for Model S and about 25 miles per hour for Model X.

Also know that battery state of charge doesn't matter with AC charging as it does with a supercharger. The 25 miles/hr for an X or 29 miles/hr for a S is if you're charging from a 14-50 at the full 40A. At many campgrounds the wiring isn't good enough to sustain 40A and you have to set the charging to a lower amperage, maybe 30A. You can calculate the charge rate ahead of time based on the ratio, or it will be displayed on the screen.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Brought out Model X 75D home last night, and plugged it into out 14-50 outlet. It was at ~50% charge, both the in-car screen and the iPhone app showed it was charging at 28mi/hr.
That's what is expected, 28-30 mph depending on what voltage the car actually gets (240V isn't always exactly 240V). The SOC does not affect AC charging rate as it does with supercharging-- until the very end at 98% or so.

In car screen and iPhone app will always say the same as they're reporting from the same data source.