TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Rate of charge at using a NEMA 14-50 outlet

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by volkerbradley, Jun 24, 2016.

1. volkerbradley

volkerbradley Member

I've made arrangements to charge my P90D at a campground in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. They have NEMA 14-50 plug.
    If my battery is at 20% when I start charging and I plug in at my Tesla 80 AMP home charger, the display states that the charging rate is about 41 miles/hr.
    If the car battery is 20% when I start charging, what would the charging rate be at a 50 AMP connector at a campground?

2. Joe Harsanyi

Joe Harsanyi Member

3. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Active Member

Yes it will be aprox 30 mph. That's my set-up at home. Keep in mind a 50 AMP connector is going to actually put out 40 AMPs.

4. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.50.3

I'm assuming the OP is asking about an X, not an S since this was posted in an X forum and they have a Sig X listed in the signature.

From Home charging installation:

5. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

Slower in Canada unfortunately. In Canada the 14-50 connector is limited to 32 amps continuous, 80% of what it will do in the US.

6. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Also know that battery state of charge doesn't matter with AC charging as it does with a supercharger. The 25 miles/hr for an X or 29 miles/hr for a S is if you're charging from a 14-50 at the full 40A. At many campgrounds the wiring isn't good enough to sustain 40A and you have to set the charging to a lower amperage, maybe 30A. You can calculate the charge rate ahead of time based on the ratio, or it will be displayed on the screen.

• Informative x 1
  7. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

So an X on a 14-50 in Canada would be only charge about 20 miles of range per hour?

(25mph/40amps = 20mph/32amps)

• Like x 1
  8. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Great... now I have to ask... why is it slower in Canada if it's the same connector?

9. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Active Member

US mandates a 20% reserve from rating to output for safety, hence 50amp rated outputs 40amps. Canada for whatever reason mandates more of a safety buffer. Maybe because they're more polite.

• Funny x 4
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  10. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

So how does Tesla comply with this limiting?

If a Canadian Tesla comes to the US, will it pull 40a from a 14-50?

Just wondering how this is implemented: umc, car's home, gps?

11. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.50.3

I believe that the resistor in the 14-50 adapter is different.

This thread should have all the details that were discussed last fall: New UMC?

12. umeshunni

umeshunni Member

Well, once you convert it back into kmph, it all works out (32kmph/32amps) :)

13. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

I read through MorrisonHiker's linked thread. If I was in Canada I would buy a US spec 14-50 UMC adapter and use it whenever I can confirm a 50 amp breaker is serving the outlet.

14. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

Probably something about most NEMA 14-50 outlets being on 40 amp circuits instead of 50 amps. Just speculating.

15. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

My X is charging at 40A, 236-240V, 26mph on my 50A breaker, 6-3NM 14-50.

Hmmm.... a 14-50 adapter that automatically limits to 32A? That would be perfect for the 14-50 at my parent's house on a 40A circuit with 8-3NM.

16. volkerbradley

volkerbradley Member

Thank you for the information

17. gfb107

gfb107 Member

Brought out Model X 75D home last night, and plugged it into out 14-50 outlet. It was at ~50% charge, both the in-car screen and the iPhone app showed it was charging at 28mi/hr.

18. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

That's what is expected, 28-30 mph depending on what voltage the car actually gets (240V isn't always exactly 240V). The SOC does not affect AC charging rate as it does with supercharging-- until the very end at 98% or so.

In car screen and iPhone app will always say the same as they're reporting from the same data source.

19. volkerbradley

volkerbradley Member

I charged at that campground. I noted that it charged at 22 mph.