TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rated Charge

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by napabill, Mar 9, 2013.

1. napabill

napabill Active Member

I've been charging my Tess for over 3 months using 14-50, 110v, Superchargers, and most recently, 14-30. I have consistently gotten a rated charge of 240-241 rated miles, fully charged. Always. Then, this morning, I check and it shows 244, and is fully charged. Why the change? I used the 14-30 plug, and it charged from about 40 rated miles, overnight.:confused:

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

"Mileage may vary".

Since there is a moderate amount of "vampire load" with the current lack of sleep mode, it matters when the car stops charging. If it is recently finished you'll get a higher number. If it sits for 12 hours it'll show a lower number.

The Model S actually seems to be much more consistent than the Roadster. Immediately after a Standard Mode charge it consistently shows 383 or 384 km. The range showing on my Roadster after a charge varies much more.

3. napabill

napabill Active Member

"Mileage my vary." Ya but...same car, same charge timing, for over 3 months. Never had a standard charge of more than 241. And I understand the vampire load but that has always been the case. We'll see if I now have have a new standard charge level next time I fill'er up.

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

@napabill
    $1 says the ambient temperature and/or "time since charge completed" was different (higher, less) last night than for your habit.

I see 232 about 80% of the time. Sometimes I see 235, sometimes 228. I've seen as high as 242. No range charges (so far?).

5. Cliff Hannel

Cliff Hannel Member

My P85 varies also - as others say, it depends on temperature and time since charge completed. My guess is it is actually determined by the measured voltage of the battery pack and the measurement might not be accurate/repeatable within the 0.4% or so we're talking about anyway.

6. ddenboer

ddenboer MODEL X #1770

On my car, it is usually at 239 in the morning, right after a standard charge.
    Some mornings it is less (vampires are evil), and some mornings it is more. The most I have seen is 243.

7. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

All

I've gotten as high as 244 Rated several times....

Aaron

8. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

After a full range charge yesterday, my S showed 271 miles.

9. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

I've seen a standard charge as high as 392km now. (But most of the time it is indeed close to 385km)

10. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

On 60kWH the rated charge shows as 185 on my vehicle.

11. buzzbuzz

buzzbuzz Member

I've noticed that when I charge the car from a very low SOC, that my rated range is higher when the charge is complete (why this is the case, I cannot say). Typically, I show between 232-241 miles rated, depending on charge timing and time since charging completed. However, last time I took the car on a long trip, when I got home I had ~35 miles of range left and the bar had turned yellow. Plugged it in overnight and, when I came out to drive the car the next day, I had a rated range of 245 miles. I drove the car a little, plugged it in and charged completely, and then showed a range of 244 miles. The next day I was back to 240-242 miles for a full charge.

Like I say, I'm not sure why this is the case, but this seems to be the behavior for me (I'm pretty sure I saw it do this the other time I took it for a long trip, but that was awhile ago...the majority of my driving has been around town).

12. scriptacus

scriptacus Member

I noticed this exact thing last night. For the first time in 2 weeks I drove the car below 90 miles remaining, down to 35/yellow bar. This morning the rated range was 244 instead of the 240-241 I have always seen in the past.

13. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

With a standard charge I get 241 or 239 rated miles (never 240). I have noticed that the rating drops 1-2 miles in the first .5 miles of driving.