Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rated miles not adding up - what gives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure what's going on - perhaps someone can explain it to me.

Example:
  1. I've charged my 60D up to 90% which shows, say, 193 rated miles on the dash. This is based on something like 285 Wh/mi according to the energy plot in the center display.
  2. I drive 50 miles where my total Wh/mi is lower than the rated range (say 260 Wh/mi) for those 50 miles.
  3. After the 50 mile drive, the range displays something like 133 miles which is 60 rated miles lower.
I drove more conservatively than how the rated miles are calculated but used up more rated miles than actual miles driven! What's up with that?

Did you drive 50 miles all at once or several smaller trips? When the car is parked it will lose miles due to the battery management system. The effect is worse when parked in hot sun.

Usually when I drive long distances all at once the rated miles go down by an amount that is consistent with the reported consumption. When I commute to and from work (8 miles each way) the numbers don't match up with the consumption.

I got my 85 in April. I have kept a good log. It never comes out. Too vary variables. A.C. on, head lights on. Speed, acceleration. I have been 4000 miles and it never comes out perfect.
Using a supercharger is the same story. Depends on how low you are, how many others at charging station. Temperature.
I drove from Atlanta to DC, to Florida. About 10 charges. It never came out where mile, is ever worked out.
I still keep log, but stop calculating.
Laugh at me, very first charge it was low, I plugged in, sat in call, all of a sudden I thought front end was going to explode. I called Tesla. He said NO, it was real hot. Batteries needed cooling.

Did you drive 50 miles all at once or several smaller trips? When the car is parked it will lose miles due to the battery management system. The effect is worse when parked in hot sun.

Usually when I drive long distances all at once the rated miles go down by an amount that is consistent with the reported consumption. When I commute to and from work (8 miles each way) the numbers don't match up with the consumption.

All at once - my commute to work is almost 50 miles each way and I started driving immediately after unplugging so there's no vampire drain.

Leaf owners used to (or maybe still do) call it the Guess-O-Meter.

I think the RM indicator is pretty good for general purposes. Just don't take it as gospel. For one thing, it won't know what the wind is doing, and that's a huge factor (EDIT: although, in high wind the used amount would show on your consumption figures).

I'm not sure what's going on - perhaps someone can explain it to me.

Example:
  1. I've charged my 60D up to 90% which shows, say, 193 rated miles on the dash. This is based on something like 285 Wh/mi according to the energy plot in the center display.
  2. I drive 50 miles where my total Wh/mi is lower than the rated range (say 260 Wh/mi) for those 50 miles.
  3. After the 50 mile drive, the range displays something like 133 miles which is 60 rated miles lower.
I drove more conservatively than how the rated miles are calculated but used up more rated miles than actual miles driven! What's up with that?

Please post a photo showing 260 Wh/mi consumption using more rated miles than actually driven, because that can't be right if the drive is all at once, as long as 50 miles, and right after charging. Your consumption in a S60D should be around 265-270 Wh per rated mile. It is less than the 285 Wh/mi you see when charging, but not that much less.

Please post a photo showing 260 Wh/mi consumption using more rated miles than actually driven, because that can't be right if the drive is all at once, as long as 50 miles, and right after charging. Your consumption in a S60D should be around 265-270 Wh per rated mile. It is less than the 285 Wh/mi you see when charging, but not that much less.

Let me try and take one. Perhaps I thought RMs were calculated at a higher number since on the consumption graph, the solid line showing rated miles is a significantly higher than the driving average dotted line at 260 Wh/mi.

Attachments

• IMG_8069.JPG
    IMG_8069.JPG
    589.9 KB · Views: 67