Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rated miles versus real miles, small sample but I'm getting 63%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've felt like my car, a 2014 S85, isn't going nearly as far as the charge level indicates. I know it's not going to go the full range, but I did a test. I took a screen shot of the app and wrote on it how many miles were on the car, and then did it again three days later. I had really driven 53 miles, my battery miles were 82. 63%

I had probably a 60/40 split between highway and city, when it is driven I have had the climate control and radio on, although the climate control hasn't had to do much. I've not been accessing it with the app or pre-heating/cooling. Traffic was flowing nicely on the freeway, and I never really got on it.

I know it's a small sample size, but it confirms what it was feeling like, is this normal? I've only had the car a few months, I've always thought it went not anywhere near what it reads. Battery charge per the indicator is good, my 90% is 236

Make sure you set the Display to Typical and not rated miles. Rated is the silly EPA standard of range and electric cars don't really get a choice on not giving those numbers.

Typical is based on 380 wh/mile I think... could be wrong on that number. Winter will eat into that by about 20% as will being a bit heavy handed on throttle, set your energy reading to read average over 30 miles to see how you compare to the dotted 'Typical' rating.

On fast long highway roads it's easy to get down to 320 wh/mile at 65mph

You say you are showing 236 miles at 90% on S85 that is as old as my S85 (116k miles). This sounds way too optimistic so looks like you have it set to the EPA rating of range... change it to typical. Mine shows about 200miles on 90%

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
If you do a lot of short trips, your mileage will be terrible, especially if you use heaters or a/c. Lead foot, ditto, especially in city with stop signs and steep hills, where regen doesn't do much. The 22" wheels hurt mileage, too. Sounds like you don't have charging at home, so you also have vampire drain.

Make sure you set the Display to Typical and not rated miles. Rated is the silly EPA standard of range and electric cars don't really get a choice on not giving those numbers.

Typical is based on 380 wh/mile I think... could be wrong on that number. Winter will eat into that by about 20% as will being a bit heavy handed on throttle, set your energy reading to read average over 30 miles to see how you compare to the dotted 'Typical' rating.

On fast long highway roads it's easy to get down to 320 wh/mile at 65mph

You say you are showing 236 miles at 90% on S85 that is as old as my S85 (116k miles). This sounds way too optimistic so looks like you have it set to the EPA rating of range... change it to typical. Mine shows about 200miles on 90%
Sorry, but none of this is applicable because you're using the paradigm from the European cars, which this is not.

You are talking about switching to "Typical". That is not a thing in the U.S. In the UK, where you are talking about, the setting called "Rated" is the higher unrealistic one, because that is based on the really inflated NEDC testing agency. And then the lower one you are recommending, called "Typical", is the more normal lower numbers that people can get pretty close to.

In the North American cars, the higher unrealistic one is called "Ideal", and then the lower one people can get close to is called "Rated".

Yes, it is incredibly confusing that they decided to use the same word "Rated" to mean opposite things in different regions.

Reactions: sd_tom
and then did it again three days later.
There can be significant energy usage during the days/nights while the car sits that you are not driving it. But more significantly, when the car sits overnight and gets cold, then the next day when you start driving it, it has a really high energy draw running the battery heater to warm it up. So any kind of test people do like this, when it is spread out over multiple days is going to look terrible because of a lot of that warming up of a cold battery after it has sat for a while.

Thanks for all the replies.

Cold is a relative thing where I live, 50 is cold. I did find the energy monitor that shows you a few days of travel, and it goes over 9wh/mile a couple of times a day, I suspect morning and then evening. It sits overnight, I do not charge it at home as someone correctly guessed, goes three miles to work, sits for the day, gets driven home, sits a couple of hours and then might go out. I think I'm seeing every start on the energy graph.

I am showing 236 miles at 90%, I charged to 100 once, it said 261. Mine is a young 2014, late November. I have 54K miles. I bought it from Tesla, this was a few months ago, the guy there said "the 90 is great on this car", I had no idea what that meant and didn't ask.

In a couple of weeks I'm going to take it on a long drive, I'll check it then.

Thank you again for the replies, you guys are great.

Sorry, but none of this is applicable because you're using the paradigm from the European cars, which this is not.

You are talking about switching to "Typical". That is not a thing in the U.S. In the UK, where you are talking about, the setting called "Rated" is the higher unrealistic one, because that is based on the really inflated NEDC testing agency. And then the lower one you are recommending, called "Typical", is the more normal lower numbers that people can get pretty close to.

In the North American cars, the higher unrealistic one is called "Ideal", and then the lower one people can get close to is called "Rated".

Yes, it is incredibly confusing that they decided to use the same word "Rated" to mean opposite things in different regions.

.....ok, then how about in every post we use the lowest given range number and also the highest range number offered to us from the guessometer? Or is my 2 sec maths off again :)

I tried that, on my US car, changing to "ideal" added about 20 miles @rated 160. I didn't drive it like that, but I suspect I would lose a lot in a hurry. It sounds right to me that it means something different in the US.

I was in London all week, saw zero Teslas, I'm in Austria now, I've seen one.I wasn't on the road much in London, but I've driven five hours thus far in Austria. I don't see fast chargers at any of the rest stops I've stopped at/

London is full of Prius cars so they can avoid all the Dwarf Khan charges for cars (Londons midget mayor).

What I meant was that we have only 2 sets of range measurements in the Model S to go by, Rated and Typical.

We should quote both so there is no confusion, I have posted many times asking if my figures are ok for a Nov 2014 116k miles S85 but no one really replies.... frustrating.

It's looking like I get access to 61kwh of the S85 (81kwh) battery pack and about 220miles of the lower figure at 100% (the larger figure is a guess-ometer around 250 to 260 I think).

I’ve been saying this for years. My 100% charge on my P85 shows about 227 miles, but when driving with CC at 70mph with no heat or AC on I can only get about 150-160 real world miles before I’m down to about 15 miles on the display which is danger shutdown anytime range. (Mine has shut down with rated range showing 7 and 12 miles remaining before). So that about the same 66% or so.

I've felt like my car, a 2014 S85, isn't going nearly as far as the charge level indicates. I know it's not going to go the full range, but I did a test. I took a screen shot of the app and wrote on it how many miles were on the car, and then did it again three days later. I had really driven 53 miles, my battery miles were 82. 63%

I had probably a 60/40 split between highway and city, when it is driven I have had the climate control and radio on, although the climate control hasn't had to do much. I've not been accessing it with the app or pre-heating/cooling. Traffic was flowing nicely on the freeway, and I never really got on it.

I know it's a small sample size, but it confirms what it was feeling like, is this normal? I've only had the car a few months, I've always thought it went not anywhere near what it reads. Battery charge per the indicator is good, my 90% is 236

My 2016 S 90D has the same problem. Battery capacity down to about 72-73 kwh, and real range 200-220 miles. Yet the the cars display of full charge range is just about as when the car was new, around 275 miles. The display of full charge range appears to have been manipulated to conceal rather than reveal battery degradation.

Just ran the battery down to 4% and charged to 100% as instructed by Tesla (before service) and the figures are (S85 Nov 2014 118,500 miles)

Typical: 225 miles

Rated: 280 miles

Now to do the kwh available test I'm going to use the figures of:

15 miles consumption projected miles = 134 miles using 381 wh/mile (over last 15 miles) with battery at 70%.

381 x 134 = 51,054 (Divided by State of charge at 70% so divide by 0.7) 51,054/70 = 72.93 kwh battery capacity.

So out of 81kwh from new (S85 is actually 81kwh) I have roughly 73kwh of battery left which includes the 4kwh buffer so actual battery capacity available is 69kwh ouch!

77kwh available (not including 4kwh buffer) from new

69kwh available (not including 4kwh buffer) after 118,400 miles 2014 Nov S85

A capacity loss of 10.39%, not too bad really

Something else I noticed is the Trip meter since the last charge shows more WH used (eg 400wh/mile vs 380 wh/mile on normal display) I think Trip shows the overall usage including heating etc and the normal meter just shows the motor power usage.

• Funny
Reactions: SSedan