Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rated Miles Vs Actual Miles Vs EVTripplanner

What efficiency (actual miles/rated miles) do you achieve on longer (50miles +) trips

• ~100%

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • 90-100%

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Worse than 80%

Votes: 9 29.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before owning a model X (2016 P90D (20's)) I owned a model S (2014) and found that on longer trips I was easily able to achieve the rated range if I didn't go above 75MPH or so. On the model X I am NEVER able to achieve the rated range. At the very best I can achieve 90% but more often I achieve 80% or less.
I've used EVtripplanner.com to compare energy usage on actual trips that I took to the theoretical usage and I get the same results.
Surely it must be possible to achieve rated under some circumstances. Isn't that the whole point of rated miles vs those theoretical miles that Tesla used to give?

If you were hitting rated efficiency at 75mph, you were really lucky. That's well beyond the parameters used to calculate range.
Range is a combination of street and highway driving, within the speed limits.
Recently I noticed that in my model 3, going from 70 mph to 65 mph decreased consumption by 10%. The inefficiencies created by drag at high speeds in exponential, meaning that going from 70 to 75 is a lot worse than 65 to 70.

The optimal speed for the vehicle is probably around 30 mph.

I consistently beat estimates by just going the speed limit on a cross-country trip. When I didn't care, I'd add 9-10 mph and do worse.

I drove from northern California to Las Vegas, up through Utah spending a couple days in Moab over to St. Louis and then spend a couple weeks visiting family in various places before driving back.

My tripmeter at the end: 5351.5 miles. 1841.4kWh. 344 Wh/mi

I consistently beat estimates by just going the speed limit on a cross-country trip. When I didn't care, I'd add 9-10 mph and do worse.
Would I be correct in assuming that when averaging about 65mph on a highway you would achieve rated miles? I only get 85%-90% in that scenario when I really should be beating it.
What I'm really trying to figure out here is whether this is something that needs to be looked at.
I have just had new tires as well as an alignment which I guess could have been an issue but it didn't change the cars efficiency.

The optimal speed for the vehicle is probably around 30 mph.
I think that I saw and article once that showed that the optimal speed was even lower than that for the MS. In an ICE its somewhere around 50 mph.

the model X is inherently less efficient than the Model S. Thats why a 100D model S gets 30+ miles more range than the equivalent Model X, even though its the same drive unit and battery.

In my Model S, i got close to 80% rated miles driving on the freeway at 80+mph but i suspect that will be far less in a model x.

Reactions: JMD-Houston
I can get the rated range when driving at about 70 mph on flat roads with no wind, no precip and outside temperatures between 65F and 80F. Fall outside any of that and it can start to crumble. There are so many factors that affect your range it's not as simple as just slowing down, but that is perhaps the only option under your control.

• Informative
Reactions: bak_phy
the model X is inherently less efficient than the Model S.
Sure, but that should be entirely reflected in the rated Wh/mile.

There are so many factors that affect your range it's not as simple as just slowing down, but that is perhaps the only option under your control.
True, but you would think that sometimes that would mean that you could get more miles. EPA rated miles is supposed to cover a range of real world scenarios.

In my Model S, i got close to 80% rated miles driving on the freeway at 80+mph but i suspect that will be far less in a model x.
80% at 80+mph hour is pretty good and well within what was advertised as efficiency drops very quickly with speed. It would be interesting to have model S and a model X drive the exact same route together to see if the X plays a bit more loosely with its rated miles.

Given that most people (5/8) in my highly controlled survey seem to get the same or worse miles than me I guess there isn't much to do about it. I am a bit surprised that evtripplanner uses better efficiency than most people achieve since I thought it used real world results.

Would I be correct in assuming that when averaging about 65mph on a highway you would achieve rated miles? I only get 85%-90% in that scenario when I really should be beating it.
What I'm really trying to figure out here is whether this is something that needs to be looked at.

The speed limit was 70-80 most of the places I was driving. It was doing quite well.

Certainly the X is not as aerodynamic as the S and will fall off with speed much faster than the S. Not a good comparison, and not a difference that would be reflected in the EPA rated miles. They might compare well enough at 30 MPH.

Looking at my TeslaFi temperature efficiency data for tips over 50 miles I've hit between 123% to 76% of rated consumption, over 90% between 65F to 105F. The 123% might have been in L.A. traffic.

My commute is 150 miles round trip. It has been pouring rain lately, every afternoon. I noticed that on clear days where I don’t need to use the wipers, the headlights and the defroster, I stay close to 90%, if it’s not too hot for my P85D sitting in the sun all day while I’m at work. On the pour in rainy days, my 211 miles I start with, end up as 38 to 58 miles when I get home. Because my weather is so unpredictable, I never leave without miles having this ratio of a cushion.