TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rated Miles Vs Actual Miles Vs EVTripplanner

Discussion in 'Model X' started by bak_phy, Aug 6, 2018.

?

What efficiency (actual miles/rated miles) do you achieve on longer (50miles +) trips

1. ~100%

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  2. 90-100%

10 vote(s)
    37.0%
  3. 80-90%

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. Worse than 80%

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. bak_phy

bak_phy Member

Before owning a model X (2016 P90D (20's)) I owned a model S (2014) and found that on longer trips I was easily able to achieve the rated range if I didn't go above 75MPH or so. On the model X I am NEVER able to achieve the rated range. At the very best I can achieve 90% but more often I achieve 80% or less.
    I've used EVtripplanner.com to compare energy usage on actual trips that I took to the theoretical usage and I get the same results.
    Surely it must be possible to achieve rated under some circumstances. Isn't that the whole point of rated miles vs those theoretical miles that Tesla used to give?

2. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

If you were hitting rated efficiency at 75mph, you were really lucky. That's well beyond the parameters used to calculate range.
    Range is a combination of street and highway driving, within the speed limits.
    Recently I noticed that in my model 3, going from 70 mph to 65 mph decreased consumption by 10%. The inefficiencies created by drag at high speeds in exponential, meaning that going from 70 to 75 is a lot worse than 65 to 70.

The optimal speed for the vehicle is probably around 30 mph.

3. dlsspy

dlsspy Member

I consistently beat estimates by just going the speed limit on a cross-country trip. When I didn't care, I'd add 9-10 mph and do worse.

I drove from northern California to Las Vegas, up through Utah spending a couple days in Moab over to St. Louis and then spend a couple weeks visiting family in various places before driving back.

My tripmeter at the end: 5351.5 miles. 1841.4kWh. 344 Wh/mi

4. bak_phy

bak_phy Member

Would I be correct in assuming that when averaging about 65mph on a highway you would achieve rated miles? I only get 85%-90% in that scenario when I really should be beating it.
    What I'm really trying to figure out here is whether this is something that needs to be looked at.
    I have just had new tires as well as an alignment which I guess could have been an issue but it didn't change the cars efficiency.

I think that I saw and article once that showed that the optimal speed was even lower than that for the MS. In an ICE its somewhere around 50 mph.

5. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

the model X is inherently less efficient than the Model S. Thats why a 100D model S gets 30+ miles more range than the equivalent Model X, even though its the same drive unit and battery.

In my Model S, i got close to 80% rated miles driving on the freeway at 80+mph but i suspect that will be far less in a model x.

6. dethman

dethman Member

my work commute is 70 miles roundtrip. the rated range drops by about 92-100 miles depending on how i drive. so yes, far less than 80%.

was pretty shocking when i first got the car, now i just accept the fact that the range sucks.

• Like x 3
  7. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

I can get the rated range when driving at about 70 mph on flat roads with no wind, no precip and outside temperatures between 65F and 80F. Fall outside any of that and it can start to crumble. There are so many factors that affect your range it's not as simple as just slowing down, but that is perhaps the only option under your control.

• Informative x 1
  8. bak_phy

bak_phy Member

Sure, but that should be entirely reflected in the rated Wh/mile.

True, but you would think that sometimes that would mean that you could get more miles. EPA rated miles is supposed to cover a range of real world scenarios.

80% at 80+mph hour is pretty good and well within what was advertised as efficiency drops very quickly with speed. It would be interesting to have model S and a model X drive the exact same route together to see if the X plays a bit more loosely with its rated miles.

Given that most people (5/8) in my highly controlled survey seem to get the same or worse miles than me I guess there isn't much to do about it. I am a bit surprised that evtripplanner uses better efficiency than most people achieve since I thought it used real world results.

9. aesculus

No. It covers two scenarios: ideal city driving and ideal highway driving.

It does not take into account any weather, hills, driving style, weight, road conditions, traffic ...

10. Big John

Big John Member

When I travel, I usually do not worry about efficiency. Speedlimit +9. But when I have a long stretch between SC (Fresno to Mojave), I throttle back to the speed limit. So far I always get rated range when I do that.

• Informative x 1
  11. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

The rated vs actual mileage varies significantly depending on your model and battery.

In my P100D I can get a bit better than rated on a flat road even going 80mph.

In my S85, I only get 90% of rated on the same road, going slower.

• Disagree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  12. dlsspy

dlsspy Member

The speed limit was 70-80 most of the places I was driving. It was doing quite well.

13. bak_phy

bak_phy Member

What model do you have?

14. bak_phy

bak_phy Member

Is this the model S?

I should probably have made it much clearer that I'm really only thinking that there's an issue with the model X range. My model S (P85) was entirely able to get rated mileage under reasonable conditions.

15. animorph

animorph Member

Certainly the X is not as aerodynamic as the S and will fall off with speed much faster than the S. Not a good comparison, and not a difference that would be reflected in the EPA rated miles. They might compare well enough at 30 MPH.

Looking at my TeslaFi temperature efficiency data for tips over 50 miles I've hit between 123% to 76% of rated consumption, over 90% between 65F to 105F. The 123% might have been in L.A. traffic.

16. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Yes, sorry I should have been clear, both are Ss.

• Informative x 1
  17. Robin H

Robin H Member

My commute is 150 miles round trip. It has been pouring rain lately, every afternoon. I noticed that on clear days where I don’t need to use the wipers, the headlights and the defroster, I stay close to 90%, if it’s not too hot for my P85D sitting in the sun all day while I’m at work. On the pour in rainy days, my 211 miles I start with, end up as 38 to 58 miles when I get home. Because my weather is so unpredictable, I never leave without miles having this ratio of a cushion.

18. bak_phy

bak_phy Member

I was quite surprised by how much the range drops in heavy rain. I suspect it's the exact same for ICE cars but it's not as in your face.

19. bak_phy

bak_phy Member

It would be nice if Teslafi gave consumption across different speeds, but perhaps the consumption data isn't fine grained enough.

20. aesculus

They used to have a little tool on the website (at least for the Model S) where you could estimate range based on battery size, speed and cabin temperature. I can't find it now.