TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

rated or ideal

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by medphys, Jul 1, 2016.

1. medphys

medphys Member

Hi all New to tesla and noted today when I changed in settings Units & Format from rated to ideal my mileage remaining went up 30 miles. On a trip what do you choose ideal or rated and does it make a difference?

thanks

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Rated. Always use rated or percent.

You will never get close to ideal, unless you're going 55mph down hill with no AC, in perfect outdoor temperature and humidity.

3. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Ideal miles are useless. We don't live in an ideal world. That's why you'll see every post here about range is in rated miles, not ideal miles.

4. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

Just to be clear, all this setting changes is the units used for the display. It doesn't do anything at all to change how much energy your car uses or how much is available. You'll have the exact same actual range either way. The only difference is what number it divides your remaining energy by in order to get "miles."

• Informative x 1