TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rated range 394 km=246 miles when new

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by hiroshiy, Jan 6, 2015.

1. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Supporting Member

I have received my car in Japan on September 2014 and after a few weeks I decided to range charge with 80A wall connector. What I got was only 394 km or 246 miles of range, with firmware 5.12 (101.6.7). Yes I know Tesla has strange build numbers on Japanese cars and they are not updating our cars, but I think it's irrelevant.

Is this normal to have this range when new? Last week I got 390 km = 243 miles. I only had 3 or 4 times of range charging, other times I charge to 70%-90% daily. The garages at home and work are warm even in winter (underground).

2. Afdyce

Afdyce Member

Mine gets 244 miles on a full range charge

3. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Switch to ideal mile units (controls/settings/units). What is that number? That is a better way to determine battery capacity because rated range does some strange calculations.

4. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

A new battery should have a minimum of 265 rated miles, and often will have around 270.
    Can you check the battery label (raise car if possible, and look at battery behind front passenger wheel).
    post a pic or report back the number and letter. Would be interesting to find out if this is actually an old battery

5. hiroshiy

@Afdyce: thanks. Is your battery new? In your profile you seemed to receive the car last year??

@AmpedRealtor: will try that this weekend.

@gaswalla: will check the label tomorrow.

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

When my car was new, I got 265 Rated Miles exactly on a Range Charge. Did one yesterday (at about 40,000 miles and 22 months in) and got 245 Rated Miles.

7. hiroshiy

Japanese cars and possibly European cars have Rated and Typical, no Ideal.

Today I charged to 90%, and got 436km Japanese rated, which is 272 miles. Probably if I range charge, it will be 300 miles. So as I guessed before, American Ideal is Japanese Rated.

On the other hand, when I switched to Typical, at 90% I got 348km, which is 217 miles and when extrapolated to 100% it would be 241 miles.

From this result, American Rated might be different from Japanese Typical, so my battery may be just fine because Japanese rated at 90% was 436km.

8. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

Yes, the EU and JP have Rated (similar to US Ideal, but different Wh/km as it's NEDC) and Typical (similar to US Rated). When I charge to 90% I get 348,x (the X varies a bit from day to day). However when I range charge to 100% I get around 388-396km. You have to multiple times charge to 100% and drive a substantial amount of the battery as well as let the car sit at 100% to make sure it balances out the pack (only visible at next charge what you gain). After a couple of such charges I've gone in summer from 388 to 402km.

9. hiroshiy

#9 hiroshiy, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    Hi Mario,
    Re; EU/JP Rated:
    I'm becoming confident that this is same as US Ideal. My 90% JP Rated was 436km/272miles, so 100% is 303miles, same as US Ideal.

The question is EU/JP Typical - my JP Typical was 348-351km at 90% (217-219miles). My JP Typical at 100% was approx 389-394km (243-246miles). This seems to match yours, but doesn't match US Rated numbers (265miles at 100%). EU/JP Typical seems to be 7% lower than US Rated. This makes me believe that:

US Ideal, EU/JP Rated = 250Wh/mile, 156.25Wh/km
    US Rated = 300Wh/km, 187.5Wh/km
    EU/JP Typical = 320Wh/km, 200Wh/km

What do you think?