Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rated range affected by driving history?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because the algorithm is much more complex than simply Wh/mi. Maybe it adjusts to driving style and is able to ignore temperature related factors like battery warming, etc.
I guess you lost me here. I know that the algo is complex, but if it had any input from driving style, using almost 1/3 more energy would have surely brough my rated miles down some. Since it did not, I really cannot see how it could take driving style into account.

My question to you. If driving history has any bearing on rated range, how in the world can someone(me), go from 309 wh/mile in the summer (about 9k miles), to 430 wh/mile in the winter (about 5 k miles now), and still have the same max rated range?

The 2nd generation Rav 4 EV, has a GOM that factors in driving history, and that thing changes all of the time based on how one drives. The Model S rated range doesn't.

Perhaps it ignores the use of accessories like heating? Or ignores Wh/m altogether but factors throttle input?
BTW were you on the same software version in the summer as you are now? If not, comparing rated numbers between now and then doesn't work well.

The "rated range is based on history" statement that I'm suggesting may in fact be true does not mean that I think it will vary significantly like project range does -- but rather it calibrates to the car and driving habits to come up with a "permanent" (slowly-varying) number.

I guess you lost me here. I know that the algo is complex, but if it had any input from driving style, using almost 1/3 more energy would have surely brough my rated miles down some. Since it did not, I really cannot see how it could take driving style into account.

Maybe the algorithm doesn't use wh/mi directly at all, or maybe there's a temperature adjustment that offsets the difference, I don't know. I have no idea what the algorithm is, but I do think that one exists.

Perhaps it ignores the use of accessories like heating? Or ignores Wh/m altogether but factors throttle input?
BTW were you on the same software version in the summer as you are now? If not, comparing rated numbers between now and then doesn't work well.

The "rated range is based on history" statement that I'm suggesting may in fact be true does not mean that I think it will vary significantly like project range does -- but rather it calibrates to the car and driving habits to come up with a "permanent" (slowly-varying) number.
Different firmware. I really doubt that anyone with a model S has been on one firmware from day 1, so pretty much all comparisons on this forum are made with different firmware versions.

This is how I see it working. Note - I spent many years trying to reverse engineer what software engineers were trying to say!

The simple display of rated range will simply look at the battery level report from the car. When the customer's charge habit is not "perfect" for the battery level, the raw display from the hardware would be quite off. So the algorithm may try to correct this by looking at the customer's habits for charging. Things such as whether or not you ever do a max range charge or if you let the battery go below 50%.

Okay, that's a fair point. Though I'm not sure why an algorithm would take charging habits into account.

The field engineers response when I read it is a bit different…. The habit may be the habit of how we charge our car as he described in this thread, not how we drive. So if we are not in the "habit" of going to max charge, our battery capacity number is not good, and hence our rating range is not good…..

This is how I see it working. Note - I spent many years trying to reverse engineer what software engineers were trying to say!

The simple display of rated range will simply look at the battery level report from the car. When the customer's charge habit is not "perfect" for the battery level, the raw display from the hardware would be quite off. So the algorithm may try to correct this by looking at the customer's habits for charging. Things such as whether or not you ever do a max range charge or if you let the battery go below 50%.

The field engineers response when I read it is a bit different…. The habit may be the habit of how we charge our car as he described in this thread, not how we drive. So if we are not in the "habit" of going to max charge, our battery capacity number is not good, and hence our rating range is not good…..

This is entirely possible. When you factor in temperature, and many other variables, the rated range comparisons that people do on TMC are probably not be apples to apples.