Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rated Range at 20,500 miles on 60kW battery pack.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I usually see "Charge Now" weekly or every other week.

I wonder if it's more about depleting capacity to a very low SOC than range charging a bunch of times? I bet a lot of folks aren't pushing themselves down to the low teens like that weekly or bi-weekly... perhaps if they did, the next time they charged they'd see higher numbers... perhaps in order to really get a good balance on the pack you've got to get to a super low SOC every now and then

Whoa what's all that white stuff all over your poor car, yobigd20? So sorry to see that. Have you been able to get it removed? Hope it didn't damage anything. Here in SoCal I've never seen a car with such stuff on it. Must be a regional thing, huh? :)

Whoa what's all that white stuff all over your poor car, yobigd20? So sorry to see that. Have you been able to get it removed? Hope it didn't damage anything. Here in SoCal I've never seen a car with such stuff on it. Must be a regional thing, huh? :)

Gee thanks for rubbing all that in. And no , it's been like 0 degrees here plus it snowed another 4 inches yesterday so my car is still covered in all this crap. Also turns out driving the way that I did for many miles down unplowed 8+ inch snow covered roads messed up my the tire balance . After the roads cleared anything over 30mph shook the car pretty violently. Most of it was due to impacted snow within the wheels that were throwing wheels out of balance but after cleaning it out there was still some vibration > 60mph. I had to get my tires rotated anyway but they re-balanced the tires and said that the tire mount on the wheel were pretty out of balance anyway. I tested a good 90-105mph today and all is good now again :)

I think I got to 100% SOC once, very early in ownership in Jan/Feb 2013 just to see what it was and I recall it was 209 rated miles and 240 ideal.

Maybe one day I'll need to get to 100% SOC again, but I've never needed to even after two trips from Seattle to LA. I'll set it range charge but have never needed to let it get all the way to 100%.

I'm guessing it was later than Jan/Feb 2013 as there was a bug in the firmware that limited the display of rated range to a max of 197, at least every post from a 60 owner that I can recall. This was fixed sometime in the early summer, although I can't recall which version of firmware.

I wonder if it's more about depleting capacity to a very low SOC than range charging a bunch of times? I bet a lot of folks aren't pushing themselves down to the low teens like that weekly or bi-weekly... perhaps if they did, the next time they charged they'd see higher numbers... perhaps in order to really get a good balance on the pack you've got to get to a super low SOC every now and then
Well, one thing that comes of depleting the pack so low then bring er right back up, is it REALLY helps the computer recalculate out the total kWh storage capacity remaining. As the capacity remaining is literally a guess/estimate, based on how much power is being put into the pack, and based on other known variables, that helps get the reading as accurate as possible.