Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rated Range calculation with version 5.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may have been covered in the thread regarding firmware v5.8, but with over 50 pages of posts, it's hard to tell.

Does anyone know what's different about the way Rated Range is calculated in v5.8? The description provided by Tesla is somewhat vague. Does it now take outside temperature into account? Since the upgrade, my car no longer charges to 230 miles on a standard charge. I get about 220 miles now.

I've noted something similar but for me it isn't the "Rated Range" that has changed but more the "Projected Range" that shows up on the right hand side from the center display energy chart. The delta between this number and the "Rated Range" for normal highway driving used to be around 10 miles with v4.5. Now with v5.8 the delta is more like 20 miles on average. Some of that is the increased Whr/mile from the lower temperatures in this neck of the woods but it seems like that "Projected Range" number is getting calculated differently than it was before. Like maybe the outside temp is included in that calculation now or more heavily weighted than it was before. This is all just an inkling, no hard data to back it up, but that's my impression.