Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rated Range Cold vs Warm & Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Rated Range in my 6-month old SR+ is now about 237 when warm ambient and about 227 when cold (<30 degrees F).

So charging to 85% when warm gives me a little over 200 miles rated range, but 85% when cold gives about 193 miles.

Is charging up to, say, 100% when cold as detrimental to the battery as charging up to 100% when warm? Are the cells getting up to the same voltage when cold as when warm? Or, since the Rated Range is less, is charging up to 100% when cold easier on the cells.

I'm asking because I'm wondering if charging up the the same Rated Range regardless of temperature has the same effects on the longevity of the battery.

The Rated Range in my 6-month old SR+ is now about 237 when warm ambient and about 227 when cold (<30 degrees F).

So charging to 85% when warm gives me a little over 200 miles rated range, but 85% when cold gives about 193 miles.

Is charging up to, say, 100% when cold as detrimental to the battery as charging up to 100% when warm? Are the cells getting up to the same voltage when cold as when warm? Or, since the Rated Range is less, is charging up to 100% when cold easier on the cells.

I'm asking because I'm wondering if charging up the the same Rated Range regardless of temperature has the same effects on the longevity of the battery.
When it's cold, toggle your display to show SOC%age in the morning to make sure it's really 85% at 193 miles. The battery does drain and could easily drop to 83%, when it's <30F.

I can't answer your question, but there is a thread, "scientific explanation" or something that goes into the topic. The battery does like to be warm when it charges, so charging when you get home is good.

Rated range capacity of the battery may be 227, but aren't going to get there in cold weather. Expect about 30% degradation in colder months.
@ewoodrick the battery is (for sure) inefficient in colder months compared to warmer months. But does it degrade faster in colder months, meaning do we lose more rated range in colder months than in summer? My understanding is that rated range is more a function of battery usage pattern and time, and efficiency is more a function of the operating temperature.