Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rated range loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 10 months and 15000 miles, my car’s (75 RWD) rated range at 100% is calculated at 235 miles. That is 5.6% rated range loss compared to the advertised 249 mile range. Is this normal? Seems like a very fast range degradation to me. Is there any data around how the battery loses the range over time/miles?

That is because the bsm calculations are slightly off. If you drive the car close to 0% SoC and charge it slowly to 100% it Will show a higher number. This doesn't affect battery life so you don't have to do this. After a long trip my car also shows slightly higher range estimates. Ofcourse some of it is Degradation but don't worry about it.

• Informative
Reactions: ishareit
That is because the bsm calculations are slightly off. If you drive the car close to 0% SoC and charge it slowly to 100% it Will show a higher number. This doesn't affect battery life so you don't have to do this. After a long trip my car also shows slightly higher range estimates. Ofcourse some of it is Degradation but don't worry about it.
I have a 2016 S75 that currently shows 239 mi range after a full charge. You appear to be in the same range and probably normal The previous poster may be correct also if you don’t often charge to 100% and drive down under 20% and recharge to 100%

• Informative
75s from this time period (late 2016, early 2017) seem to have a higher rate of degradation than other packs based on anecdotal reports. Or at least more reported instances of it - many cars are just fine and more in line with fleet averages.

At 55k miles, my Dec 2016 75 RWD charges to 229 at 100%. Over 8% loss.

The canned responses about "pack balancing" or other tricks to correct the "BMS calibration" blah blah blah are all a bunch of BS. My rated range has gone in one direction and one direction only - down.

Last edited:
After 10 months and 15000 miles, my car’s (75 RWD) rated range at 100% is calculated at 235 miles. That is 5.6% rated range loss compared to the advertised 249 mile range. Is this normal? Seems like a very fast range degradation to me. Is there any data around how the battery loses the range over time/miles?

What was it brand new? Dont go off EPA numbers, thats not a true indication of 100%.

My 100% brand new was 243 miles and now its 237 miles. 34k miles later. The majority of degradation happens in the first 50k miles and then flattens out.

not sure how many times i've posted this link. useful reading for everyone. Tesla battery degradation at less than 10% after over 160,000 miles, according to latest data

• Informative
75s from this time period (late 2016, early 2017) seem to have a higher rate of degradation than other packs based on anecdotal reports. Or at least more reported instances of it - many cars are just fine and more in line with fleet averages.

At 55k miles, my Dec 2016 75 RWD charges to 229 at 100%. Over 8% loss.

The canned responses about "pack balancing" or other tricks to correct the "BMS calibration" blah blah blah are all a bunch of BS. My rated range has gone in one direction and one direction only - down.

Interesting - I've had the same experience - the few times I've tried to rebalance it doesn't seem to help at all (if anything, it "locks" in a new lower estimated range). I just went over 50k miles in my June 2016 75 RWD and am getting 200-201 on my 90% charge and probably 222-223 on a full charge (but have tried to limit full charges to only a few times per year). I thought the degradation would slow down, but I had ~228 in early 2018, and 235 in 2017. Not a huge deal since I rarely need the extra 15-20 miles of range, but I'm hoping this loss trend doesn't continue...

Btw - what is the original estimated range for a new 75RWD? I originally purchased a 70RWD in June 2016 and later purchased the 75 software upgrade a few months later when Tesla dropped the price to $500. After the software update I did get ~239-240 for a brief period of time, but that didn't last long.

EDIT - sorry after re-reading the thread I see that it was EPA estimated at 249, but might have been a little lower (240-245) for some of you when new. Either way, I guess I'm approaching 10% loss very quickly and wouldn't be surprised if I see it by this winter - however, during my last service center visit about 3 months ago (with 225-226mi 100% range at that time) Tesla said my car was still inline with fleet averages...?

Last edited:
I don't think this is isolated to 75's. My 90D has been tracked by TeslaFi since day 1. The peak 100% charge I saw at that point was 298. I am now at 278. That's over 7% loss in 1 year and just over 40,000 miles. I have the latest 90 battery pack, I only charge above 90% about once every 2 months, and I follow all of Tesla's best practices in caring for the battery.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the range loss I've experienced... I'm not sure if saying anything to them would matter, or if I'm at the threshold where there may be something wrong with the battery.

upload_2018-9-1_12-11-39.png

• Informative
Reactions: SteelSully
  • Informative
Reactions: SteelSully