TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rated vs. Ideal Miles vs. What Should We See

Discussion in 'Model S' started by NOLA_Mike, Jul 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

Does anybody actually use "Ideal Miles" in everyday life with a Tesla? I find it hard to achieve "Rated Miles" without conscious effort of slowing down and the cooperation of weather and terrain. I can't even remember what Ideal Miles is based on - is it some nebulous figure achieved by driving over rainbows being towed by a unicorn?

Bottom line is that for me, Rated Miles is my Ideal Miles - if I make a trip and achieve the Rated Miles it is the exception.

I would propose that Tesla abandon Ideal Miles in the User interface and replace it with ______.

I'd like to see something more dynamic - like you get from EVTripPlanner. An estimated Miles Range Remaining based on anticipated real time weather (wind, rain, temperatures), average real time traffic speeds, elevation changes, etc.

______ Miles. We need a name for these miles...

2. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

How about "estimated range"?

3. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

Personally, I just show percent full and don't worry about miles at all.

4. decrypt

decrypt Member

I'm currently a BMW i3 lessee (soon to take delivery of a Model S) and this is something I think BMW has done fairly well... It's not perfect, but it does continuously adjust based on driving conditions and the estimates are fairly accurate in my experience... Usually it's even a tiny bit conservative when fully charged.