Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rated vs. Ideal Miles vs. What Should We See

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NOLA_Mike

May 11, 2013
Colorado
Does anybody actually use "Ideal Miles" in everyday life with a Tesla? I find it hard to achieve "Rated Miles" without conscious effort of slowing down and the cooperation of weather and terrain. I can't even remember what Ideal Miles is based on - is it some nebulous figure achieved by driving over rainbows being towed by a unicorn?

Bottom line is that for me, Rated Miles is my Ideal Miles - if I make a trip and achieve the Rated Miles it is the exception.

I would propose that Tesla abandon Ideal Miles in the User interface and replace it with ______.

I'd like to see something more dynamic - like you get from EVTripPlanner. An estimated Miles Range Remaining based on anticipated real time weather (wind, rain, temperatures), average real time traffic speeds, elevation changes, etc.

______ Miles. We need a name for these miles...

I'm currently a BMW i3 lessee (soon to take delivery of a Model S) and this is something I think BMW has done fairly well... It's not perfect, but it does continuously adjust based on driving conditions and the estimates are fairly accurate in my experience... Usually it's even a tiny bit conservative when fully charged.