Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rating on 6-50 UMC Gen 2 Adapter is only 30a rated - why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about it, the larger RV parks tends to be 208V and the smaller ones tends to be 240V, right?

Hrm, this is an interesting point. Commercial power tends to be 208v (because it is three phase and so it is setup to be 120v phase to neutral and 208v phase to phase).

I have never seen a RV park that is 208v, but to be fair, I have never owned an RV and I have not looked that closely. The ones I have seen I think are just residential style split phase (120/240v). Typically they just have multiple transformers that step down from 7200v (or whatever distribution voltage is in the area) to 120/240. There are not any three phase motors or anything, so no real reason to have three phase transformers and electrical panels and such. And like a big building will take 480/277v in and then have stepdown transformers all over the place to bring it down to 208/120v but in an RV park they just take the 7200v (or whatever) around either overhead or underground to all the spot transformers that convert it to 120/240v.

82A7452F-7880-40DF-B48B-51C8E0BF5B07.png
I have the same adapter and I am getting 32 amps.

Thanks! So that is a 6-50 (not the 14-50 that came with the car)? What is printed on the adapter as far as rating goes? 30a? Or 32a?

WTF, is this a printing mistake??? Seems like a pretty critical thing to make a mistake on.
Why is it critical? A 6-50 is a 50A circuit. Whether the car pulls 30A or 32A seems to be a trivial difference, both to the car and to the circuit.

Why is it critical? A 6-50 is a 50A circuit. Whether the car pulls 30A or 32A seems to be a trivial difference, both to the car and to the circuit.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. In this context it is not really "critical" since I suspect there is not a danger being imposed here (unless the connector failed it's UL rating at 32a so they rated it at 30a but the car software is still drawing a full 32 amps). I was more referring to how "nameplate" ratings are not something to mess up. They are super critical to safe operation of appliances, etc...

In this case I want to know what the deal is for several reasons:
  1. It is a learning opportunity. Perhaps we can understand some limit or constraint we did not know of before.
  2. I was planning to use the 6-50 adapter to then build extension cords and other adapters (without the risk of having floating neutrals) - but if it is limited a couple amps lower than the 14-50 then maybe that changes my plans.
  3. If it really is a mistake then we should open a case with Tesla to let them know... Something seems not right (but perhaps just our understanding is the issue)

Reactions: autospy

Oh it is a big difference. If the nameplate rating is 30A on the adapter, then the car should draw a max of 30A.

Either the rating is a typo on the adapter, or it didn't pass at 32A -- maybe it got too hot. In which case, the software needs to be updated on the UMC and/or car to allow a max of 30A on a 6-50 circuit.

Curious to see what @CricTic 's adapter says.

Reactions: eprosenx
I think it is a misprint. I ordered my adapters sometime last year when they first showed up in the store

Interesting! Yours is an 1104936-00-B and mine is a 1104936-00-C That could explain the difference. Perhaps they found an issue or changed suppliers for some part and derated the new part to 30a instead of 32a? Though I wonder if there is a way to signal to the car in that granular of increments about what amperage to draw?

View attachment 307776 I have the same adapter and I am getting 32 amps.

@jtpassat can you take a look at your adapter and tell us what model # you have?

• Helpful
I can do that tommorow.

Interesting! Yours is an 1104936-00-B and mine is a 1104936-00-C That could explain the difference. Perhaps they found an issue or changed suppliers for some part and derated the new part to 30a instead of 32a? Though I wonder if there is a way to signal to the car in that granular of increments about what amperage to draw?

@jtpassat can you take a look at your adapter and tell us what model # you have?

Interesting you guys have the C revision. I wonder why they changed the amp rating (even though it appears that it still charges at 32A).

Yeah, something is wrong here. I think someone who can reproduce the issue and whose connector is only rated for 30 amps should open a case with Tesla. The device should not be drawing more than its nameplate rating.

Now of course what we don't want is for them to reduce the charging down by two amps to "solve this" (which btw could or would also impact the NEMA 14-50 I assume since I don't think the car can tell the difference since the pilot signal should be the same for both). Maybe they would issue a recall on the adapters though and send out ones that are properly rated?

Thank you everyone for the info on this thread and for testing!