Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rationale for Green Light chime on FSD vs Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I test drove a M3 last year the car had FSD loaded and the green light chime was enabled. I really liked the feature. So I ordered my M3 but without FSD and the feature was missing. I asked the sales associate and they said it comes only with the FSD package. So this got me thinking, why would a feature like this be moved to FSD only? If you have FSD then you don't need to be alerted to a green light because FSD will just start going on its own. It is specifically people without FSD who would use/need such a feature.

So my question to the group is, what other rationale does Tesla have for moving this feature to the FSD? Are FSD users using this to warn them that they are about to pull into an intersection? Is it just a "cool feature" that Tesla uses to push sales of FSD? What am I missing?

Reactions: Kimmi
I think it's a bit of a hangover from FSD development.

Non-FSD cars it's simple - you are in control of stopping for lights and need to be on the lookout at all times.

For FSD initially you had to confirm every green light by a quick accelerator tap, and the chime was the alert. Then that requirement got removed.