Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rationale for purchasing a used MS 60d

Indecisive

Jun 19, 2019
South Florida
Assuming I can find a properly discounted 2016 facelift 60d from Tesla CPO site, it would be more beneficial in my situation than buying a 75d considering.

1. Since the 2016 facelift 60d is essentially a software limited 75d, I could charge to 100% every day(since I am actually only charging 85% of the battery) which is what I would do if I had a 75d
  2. Degradation is a non factor since battery should not degrade by more than 20% during this period (unless defective). I.e I should expect the estimated range stated by Tesla (under ideal driving conditions)
  3. Looks like I may lose 1 sec in acceleration from 0-60, but not a big deal for me
  4. This will be a commuter car, so no need to extend range. However in worst case I can upgrade to 75d for 3k.
  5. Battery should charge quicker since you are not attempting to ‘fill it to the rim’

I have an 8yr old Lexus with 48k miles, so unless something changes I don’t see how I could end up with range anxiety.

What am I missing?

cucubits

May 17, 2019
TX
Did they even make the 60’s in 2016? I don’t think there’s any such thing as a facelift 60, is there?

Yes, there are. I am looking for a 75D and see a lot of 75D ads with facelift pics with 60D badges. Tesla just unlocks them to 75 by the delivery.

My question on this is: are we absolutely, 100% sure that EVERY 60D, 70D can be unlocked to 75 and get the 4.2sec 0-60 performance?

ReddyLeaf

Mar 19, 2014
WA State
Yes, there are. I am looking for a 75D and see a lot of 75D ads with facelift pics with 60D badges. Tesla just unlocks them to 75 by the delivery.

My question on this is: are we absolutely, 100% sure that EVERY 60D, 70D can be unlocked to 75 and get the 4.2sec 0-60 performance?
No, the 70D cannot be unlocked. Yes on the 60D. Tesla produced 60/85, then 70/85/90, then a software-locked 60/75 for a short time just to goose sales for a quarter or so. But watch out, before the 70D was introduced around 2015, there was a 60 (RWD) sold that cannot be unlocked because the battery is really a 60.

cucubits

May 17, 2019
TX
I was thinking about facelift only (2016).

This is what I got from a Tesla sales advisor, but mostly wanted to make sure as I know these guys more often than not don't have correct info:

"2016 (New Fascia) Model S and X 60, 70 were equipped with the 75kWh battery during production. Customers had the option to upgrade to the 75kWh battery for a small fee, if they did not chose the upgrade option, it was software lock to fit their Model choices. If you see a 75kWh battery advertised on our web site, and there is a 60kWh, or 70kWh badging, it means it’s a true 75kWh battery vehicle and the badging was not replaced. We will software unlock it to be a 75kWh battery vehicle and can replace the badging post delivery."

bxr140

Nov 18, 2014
Bay Area
What am I missing?

Other Model S variants.

There are so few 60Ds out there that you’re really limiting your options.

You're also going to make out better in resale with a higher end model (like an original p85d?) which you might be able to find for a somewhat equivalent purchase price.

Iceh8r

Mar 30, 2019
Richmond
I’m in the same boat but from looking at a thread above someone has mentioned that tesla stopped doing those upgrades in August. Can anyone officially confirm or deny this? I’m also interested in possibly buying a model X 60 and uncorking that, is that possible?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC