Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rationale for purchasing a used MS 60d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming I can find a properly discounted 2016 facelift 60d from Tesla CPO site, it would be more beneficial in my situation than buying a 75d considering.

1. Since the 2016 facelift 60d is essentially a software limited 75d, I could charge to 100% every day(since I am actually only charging 85% of the battery) which is what I would do if I had a 75d
  2. Degradation is a non factor since battery should not degrade by more than 20% during this period (unless defective). I.e I should expect the estimated range stated by Tesla (under ideal driving conditions)
  3. Looks like I may lose 1 sec in acceleration from 0-60, but not a big deal for me
  4. This will be a commuter car, so no need to extend range. However in worst case I can upgrade to 75d for 3k.
  5. Battery should charge quicker since you are not attempting to ‘fill it to the rim’

I have an 8yr old Lexus with 48k miles, so unless something changes I don’t see how I could end up with range anxiety.

What am I missing?

Did they even make the 60’s in 2016? I don’t think there’s any such thing as a facelift 60, is there?

Yes, there are. I am looking for a 75D and see a lot of 75D ads with facelift pics with 60D badges. Tesla just unlocks them to 75 by the delivery.

My question on this is: are we absolutely, 100% sure that EVERY 60D, 70D can be unlocked to 75 and get the 4.2sec 0-60 performance?

Yes, there are. I am looking for a 75D and see a lot of 75D ads with facelift pics with 60D badges. Tesla just unlocks them to 75 by the delivery.

My question on this is: are we absolutely, 100% sure that EVERY 60D, 70D can be unlocked to 75 and get the 4.2sec 0-60 performance?
No, the 70D cannot be unlocked. Yes on the 60D. Tesla produced 60/85, then 70/85/90, then a software-locked 60/75 for a short time just to goose sales for a quarter or so. But watch out, before the 70D was introduced around 2015, there was a 60 (RWD) sold that cannot be unlocked because the battery is really a 60.

I was thinking about facelift only (2016).

This is what I got from a Tesla sales advisor, but mostly wanted to make sure as I know these guys more often than not don't have correct info:

"2016 (New Fascia) Model S and X 60, 70 were equipped with the 75kWh battery during production. Customers had the option to upgrade to the 75kWh battery for a small fee, if they did not chose the upgrade option, it was software lock to fit their Model choices. If you see a 75kWh battery advertised on our web site, and there is a 60kWh, or 70kWh badging, it means it’s a true 75kWh battery vehicle and the badging was not replaced. We will software unlock it to be a 75kWh battery vehicle and can replace the badging post delivery."

I’m in the same boat but from looking at a thread above someone has mentioned that tesla stopped doing those upgrades in August. Can anyone officially confirm or deny this? I’m also interested in possibly buying a model X 60 and uncorking that, is that possible?