Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rats...[question on preventing rodent damage in model 3]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys. I saw a video online about a Tesla essentially totaled because of rat infestation.

This (on two different cars) has happened to two different cars and boy they can ruin a car and all Teslas are made with the delicious to them sweet vegetable oil wires or something because it’s sweet.

I was told this by an insurance guy that it’s a common problem and wondering a) if it’s happened to anyone reading this and b) does anyone know of a way to limit the chances?

I hate rats.!

Hey guys. I saw a video online about a Tesla essentially totaled because of rat infestation.

This (on two different cars) has happened to two different cars and boy they can ruin a car and all Teslas are made with the delicious to them sweet vegetable oil wires or something because it’s sweet.

I was told this by an insurance guy that it’s a common problem and wondering a) if it’s happened to anyone reading this and b) does anyone know of a way to limit the chances?

I hate rats.!

(moderator note: edited thread title to reflect what is being asked)

==========================================

I have read about it happening to a few people here, but as you correctly point out its not a "tesla" issue, but a "car manufacturer" issue. I read about it a lot on the BMW forums I was on over the past 7 years or so.

Searching TMC for the exact same term as your thread post (rats), brings up a few hits:

Pack rat deterrent
Rat damage in front trunk / plan to stop this
Rat gnawed brake hydraulics
help w/ pack rats in Model S

I wouldnt suggest posting in those threads as they are likely old, but you can certainly read them.

OK really a rat story without a link. I have heard that a bucket filled with
gin and tonic covered sunflower seeds with a ramp makes the little
buggers jump in. Happy hour for rats as you will. A 68 Ols will work as well,
snakes, Bears, vampir deer, expressways, electic fenices, eagles, and your regularr
posion boxes, as well as ozzy music plaid real loud. I think there maybe more than
one rat here so I am off to lockdown beer free til 12am.

(moderator note: edited thread title to reflect what is being asked)

==========================================

I have read about it happening to a few people here, but as you correctly point out its not a "tesla" issue, but a "car manufacturer" issue. I read about it a lot on the BMW forums I was on over the past 7 years or so.

Searching TMC for the exact same term as your thread post (rats), brings up a few hits:

Pack rat deterrent
Rat damage in front trunk / plan to stop this
Rat gnawed brake hydraulics
help w/ pack rats in Model S

I wouldnt suggest posting in those threads as they are likely old, but you can certainly read them.
Yeah sorry. My MO for posting is usually type out my idea (often on phone and then go edit it).

I was trying to say two different cars (not Teslas), for two different people and I screwed it up but I do not have the privilege it would appear to edit my post. That would severely limit me from wanting to post so can I get that wonderful privilege? I promise I won’t abuse it. ;)

How would one abuse an editing privilege.

Wait I got it. Post “how many people here love their Tesla” as the OP and then change the question to “say me if you’re an idiot” and then everyone looks like an idiot. See? Oh wait.

OK really a rat story without a link. I have heard that a bucket filled with
gin and tonic covered sunflower seeds with a ramp makes the little
buggers jump in. Happy hour for rats as you will. A 68 Ols will work as well,
snakes, Bears, vampir deer, expressways, electic fenices, eagles, and your regularr
posion boxes, as well as ozzy music plaid real loud. I think there maybe more than
one rat here so I am off to lockdown beer free til 12am.
So essentially I shouldn’t expect very many real answers? Lol.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Yeah sorry. My MO for posting is usually type out my idea (often on phone and then go edit it).

I was trying to say two different cars (not Teslas), for two different people and I screwed it up but I do not have the privilege it would appear to edit my post. That would severely limit me from wanting to post so can I get that wonderful privilege? I promise I won’t abuse it. ;)

How would one abuse an editing privilege.

Wait I got it. Post “how many people here love their Tesla” as the OP and then change the question to “say me if you’re an idiot” and then everyone looks like an idiot. See? Oh wait.

I understood the "two different cars for two different people" in your post. The part I edited was the thread title as I am not a big fan of thread titles that look "clickbaity" to me.

As for editing...

Thats just how TMC (the website) works. You only have a limited amount of time to edit your posts. If you are the OP of a thread, I believe its a smaller amount of time, but I dont remember exactly.

I am one of the volunteer Mods for this site (most of the mods of TMC are volunteers), but I dont know those values exactly. I believe its like 5-10 minutes for a poster to edit their post if its starting a new thread, and like an hour if its a reply to another thread, but dont hold me to those numbers.

There isnt any way for me to change those values (whatever they are) as they are global to the site. If you need something edited for some reason, you can always click the "report" button to report your own post, and request an edit from the mods.

So essentially I shouldn’t expect very many real answers? Lol.

TMC is a site full of many character types, so you may or may not get serious answers, lol. With that being said, I did a search and provided some links for you to review should you wish to, so I believe that could be considered a serious answer.

Rats teeth are like our finger nails - they continuously grow. So rats have to continuously gnaw on things in order to keep their teeth under control.

I had some rat problems a few years ago - fortunately not in my Model 3. Did lose a nice set of silicon ignition wires in my old Porsche to them. I used the basic wooden Victor rat traps to get them. Rats love nuts. So a good bait is a small piece of peanut butter flavor Clif bar. Thick enough that it stays in place long enough for the rat to trigger the trap.

If you have your car parked outdoors, I’ve seen the suggestion to move the car often if it sits long in one place typically. That rats will tend to search out stationary vehicles to nest in.

I’ve heard that they don’t like dryer sheets and think someone was recommending placing one in your frunk, no idea if this works. I have seen a thread or two of mice getting into the glove box so not a bad idea to keep checking that for signs of nesting to get a heads up asap to prevent even more damage.

Our neighbor had their Lexus SUV pretty rat torn up. The neighbors ate in their car (along with their kid) while they ran errands and I think that attracted rats to their vehicle parked both in their driveway and in their garage. They also kept dog food in the garage and I think that lead to problems for them as well. They ended up with roof rats infesting their attic. Costly problem to fix for them and fortunately we never had the problem cross over to our place.

I've had my Model 3 outside for months now while the wife's Model S is in the garage.

My last car, a 1987 Acura Integra, became a host for a gigantic rat colony while it was parked outside inactive for a couple years.

Thanks to those who posted comments-- SMAIset and wws and 95 Gator-- love Rich's videos--

What say you on parking your inactive car outside?

Where should I check for rat damage?

We had a major rat infestation in attic-- had to replace all ducting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 95gator
As already mentioned if the car is garaged, get a cat. We had a rodent problem every winter until a stray cat adopted us, she sleeps in the garage at night and we haven’t had one rodent in 3 years. It’s not that she catches them, they just don’t come in because they sense she is there.

• Funny
Reactions: 95gator
As already mentioned if the car is garaged, get a cat. We had a rodent problem every winter until a stray cat adopted us, she sleeps in the garage at night and we haven’t had one rodent in 3 years. It’s not that she catches them, they just don’t come in because they sense she is there.
Hahahaha! I literally lawled by myself when I read “he adopted us”.

Anyway, the reasons some cars are tastier is two fold and the main one for an auto like a Tesla is they use for their purposes, not for fun, a lot of wires that are made of vegetable oil. I posted the OP because it was like my day 1 or 2 of my dream car and I’ve had in my 46 years some very nice cars and very expensive ones and none make me more excited than my M3.

I absolutely cherish it and so I was worried that the vegetable oil wires could be a concern so I thought I would post a request.

I don’t think, if I knew then that I know now that this is a quality, very trafficked forum or I might not have posted it but I’m glad I did because I got a feel for the cool mofos that make up this place. Mods are food but not on a redic power trip which is always a pathetic look.

It’s become a sort of tongue and cheek little thread that was enjoyable for me personally. Great online personalities and other then my Florida Gators, I’m not a member of any other forum and I avoid the static noise of social meed and I’m glad I found this community.

I think my M3 is my favorite material possession. I look forward to driving it. I often just go somewhere since I got it since I just enjoy driving it. It’s not often I’m so pleased with a product, heat issues and all. I just hope they will fix the trunk. That’s nub biggest concern.

~Adam

Piebald Ball Python

We are a reptile household: 2 Bearded Dragons (currently in brumation), 2.5 Crested Geckos (we have a recent hatchling), two Gargoyle Geckos (and possibly more on the way: eggs are incubating).
When I was a a kid, I used to love reptiles. I had every type of snake listed in this thread and some we caught wild.

I can’t do it now because I’m an animal lover and I feel bad feeding. The monitor would just morder the mouse and eventually rat. Not like a constrictor where it gives it a relatively humane death. This thing would grab the mouse and ravage it with its teeth and strength, Literally just banging on the side of Glass cage and it was a sight to see. I always felt bad about having to get in a mouse so I would always buy three and let to go. It’s my father‘s favorite story about me as a child.

This has become a nt loose thread but I suggest we just leave it and the only rule is that you must mention something about a Tesla and a reptile and every post. :)