Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle Driving me Bananas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 December build Model S P85D. I have a rattle either behind the dash or central yacht floor location. It sounds like a buzzing or loose screw rattling over rough pavement.

SC claims they can't hear it. Its going back in a few weeks. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? It has happened since delivery with only 700miles on the OD.

Severum

If the sound can be duplicated, just request the tech to do a ride along .... I had a tough one that only sounded at certain times (usually running over the lane markers). Got the tech in the car and after 10 minutes we both heard it and they tracked it to an a/c vent.

I have what sounds like a fan rattle over rough surfaces. Very difficult to reproduce at SC. Also my entire pano roof has been rattling for months but SC claims they can't hear it. Never rattles while it's there :( Sounds like it's coming from both the front and back of pano roof.

I've had trouble getting squeaks dealt with at SCs. Part of the problem is that it takes a lot of time to properly troubleshoot the squeaks because there are a bunch of interiors panels in the way which obfuscate the true location/source of the squeak. Once you get those off and go for a ride, it becomes easier to localize and inevitably fix. SC staff simply don't have the several hours it takes to do all that, so they usually hit up a bunch of known hot spots and call it a day. I eventually had to tear part of my dash apart and figure it out myself.

This may or may not be helpful to you folks:
Annoying passenger side dashboard squeak? Possible DIY solution here.

2015 December build Model S P85D. I have a rattle either behind the dash or central yacht floor location. It sounds like a buzzing or loose screw rattling over rough pavement.

SC claims they can't hear it. Its going back in a few weeks. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? It has happened since delivery with only 700miles on the OD.

Severum

When driving in Baltimore (their "roads" are the easiest place to produce it) I think I get the same rattle you're referring to. It took me several iterations to locate it. For me, it is the small round perforated... thing above the 12V connector. I'll try to attach a picture of it (not my car, just googled). When going over rougher roadways there is just enough vibration to get that plastic piece to buzz against the rest of the armrest housing. I was able to verify that, for me at least, this was the source by driving where it would buzz and then placing my hand on the round piece which would silence the buzz.

It thought for the longest time that it was in the dashboard. I was pressing on all manner of trim pieces. I guess the frequency is just high enough that I couldn't accurately locate it and was instead cuing in on the reflected sound.

IMG_2535.jpg

Kevinf311

Wow! I think you nailed it. What surprises me is how much pressure it takes pushing on that perforated area, but it does seem to stop it. What did you or the SC end up doing? What is under the perforated grill area anyway?

Thank you so much

Kevinf311

Wow! I think you nailed it. What surprises me is how much pressure it takes pushing on that perforated area, but it does seem to stop it. What did you or the SC end up doing? What is under the perforated grill area anyway?

Thank you so much

I actually didn't have anything done to it. After a while it stopped buzzing for the most part and only presents in certain temperatures and road conditions. I imagine the Service center could pop that grill out and apply some sealant to it that would give it a more solid fit. Of course, that would probably also prevent it from being removed again without breaking it.

Not really sure what the purpose of that area is. At one point I think the theory was that area held the sensor for the interior cabin temperature but I don't know if that was verified.

Glad my explanation was clear enough to help you find your rattle :)

I had several little nuisance issues with squeaks and rattles. I was able to use my phone to video exactly the times and sounds it made along with environment and between the SC and the mothership examining them, they were diagnosed and fixed.

I have a March P85D. Had a few rattles early on that were fixed. But now I have 20K miles and I have squeaks and rattles from over a dozen locations. Even the P85+ loaners I've had with more miles were nearly perfect. I'm convinced the extra stiffness of the pre April P85Ds are accelerating these issues.

I have a March P85D. Had a few rattles early on that were fixed. But now I have 20K miles and I have squeaks and rattles from over a dozen locations. Even the P85+ loaners I've had with more miles were nearly perfect. I'm convinced the extra stiffness of the pre April P85Ds are accelerating these issues.

I had the same rattle and resolved it by squeezing a piece of rubber between both panels...