Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle from brake pads (according to Tesla)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a 4 service appointments for front suspension/direction. Basically all links, half shafts, steering rack were replaced, but was left with an odd rattle that comes (based on Tesla assesment) from the pads. They have not touched them as I have Bosch pads and not OEM.
I am looking for some pads that have a better fit or even replacing calipers. Are the newer style ones compatible with older cars (2015)?
Just thinking they are less chattery than the older brembo ones.

Does the rattle go away when you touch the brakes, even lightly? I have a rattle in my '15 S that occurs over any minor bump, it goes away with minimal pressure on the brake pedal. I'm pretty confident it's the pads rattling around, if the calipers themselves were rattling I'd guess they're not installed properly.

What type of pads are the bosch ones you have? Ceramic, metallic, organic, etc

I wonder if something like this would help, I searched RockAuto for pads for my car (should be the same as yours) and filtered on ones with the word "quiet". I'm guessing the round ears on them are intended to lower the frequency of the noise and lower the drivers perception of noise (more mass = lower resonant frequency) but if someone knows more hopefully they'll speak up.

1657821304606.png

The noise is driving me nuts, I've sound deadened the doors and put quieter tires on the car, now I just notice the brake rattle.

My noise goes away if using brake silicone on the back on the pads and on slider. Few days after it comes back. Looking at some OEM pads they have another sheet of metal on top of the pads that might help wit the noise. Not sure if the ones with satellite dishes on top would help... My next product to use is CRC Brake quiet

My noise goes away if using brake silicone on the back on the pads and on slider. Few days after it comes back. Looking at some OEM pads they have another sheet of metal on top of the pads that might help wit the noise. Not sure if the ones with satellite dishes on top would help... My next product to use is CRC Brake quiet
Same here. I had a broken anti-rattle clip a month ago (ironic name given it doesn't work) and after replacing all 4 of them and greasing the slides and back of the pads it was silent for a few days but is back to "normal" again. I'm reading up on some of the other forums for cars with the same brembos, seems like a common issue.

Installed new pads last night and coated the backs with CRC brake quiet. I coated the pads and let them sit for a couple of hours before starting the job, but otherwise didn't do anything special. Greased the edges of the pad backing and the pins/hardware with silaramic brake grease.

The new pads are slightly different from the OEM pads, they have chamfered edges, a slot down the middle, and the metal "ears". Otherwise they installed the same.

1659022468891.png

Pads: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z6LLR8W
Brake quiet: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CINV88
Grease: https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05361-Silaramic-System-Grease/dp/B0091KCG0W

The rattle noise is completely gone, I'll report back in a week or two if it returns. I think the brake quiet stuff is likely what's keeping it from rattling, it's super tacky and feels like it would keep the pad glued to the pistons.

I have the Bosch BC1474 pads up front with the "ears." No problems or noises. I put them on in March 2020.

I use StopTech Sport pads with similar weights, and I do get some pad rattle, but I can only hear it with the windows down over very bumpy roads. In fairness, I was out of specific brake grease when I swapped my pads so I'm sure that's to blame. I will re-grease everything with the proper stuff when I do a brake flush in the next few weeks.

i think i am experience this exact same thing. my front end (seems to be the driver side) rattles at low speeds with road vibration or bumps. these cars are SO quiet that this one Gremlin is driving me nuts! while you cant press the accelerator and brake at the same time, if i time it right applying the brakes when the noise appears, it almost always seems to immediately disappear when applying the brakes. I actually service the driver front caliper pads when i was recently changing an upper control arm and everything seemed tight. I believe Tesla put new pads on it before i got it and there is a ton of pad life left.

Do the Bosch pads with the rollers eliminate the rattle?

i think i am experience this exact same thing. my front end (seems to be the driver side) rattles at low speeds with road vibration or bumps. these cars are SO quiet that this one Gremlin is driving me nuts! while you cant press the accelerator and brake at the same time, if i time it right applying the brakes when the noise appears, it almost always seems to immediately disappear when applying the brakes. I actually service the driver front caliper pads when i was recently changing an upper control arm and everything seemed tight. I believe Tesla put new pads on it before i got it and there is a ton of pad life left.

Do the Bosch pads with the rollers eliminate the rattle?

They’re not rollers, they are counterweights. And no, it doesn’t fix it. The best way to eliminate that sound is to thoroughly grease the pins.

ok, good to know. I'll take everything apart again and regrease with the pins with Silaramic grease (unless CRC disk brake quiet is better, but i think that is just for the back of the pads).

Are there supposed to be shims between the pad and caliper? when i pulled them recently i did not see any pads. I'm wondering if there are supposed to pads to make up the gap which would cause the rattle.