Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle from rear center seat, another video now too

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dropped the car off at the Henrietta SC this morning. They were super friendly and helpful, and genuinely seemed concerned that the issues get corrected. They seemed more concerned about the misaligned rear driver side door I had on the list. As for the rear seats, apparently, there are revised parts that are supposed to fix the rattle. Still have to see, they said they might have the car for a week. Originally, they were supposed to give me a Model X loaner, got an AP1 S instead, can’t complain. HW3 in the Y is leaps and bounds better than AP1 to say the least.

Dropped the car off at the Henrietta SC this morning. They were super friendly and helpful, and genuinely seemed concerned that the issues get corrected. They seemed more concerned about the misaligned rear driver side door I had on the list. As for the rear seats, apparently, there are revised parts that are supposed to fix the rattle. Still have to see, they said they might have the car for a week. Originally, they were supposed to give me a Model X loaner, got an AP1 S instead, can’t complain. HW3 in the Y is leaps and bounds better than AP1 to say the least.

Crossing my fingers that the new rear seat fix works, as I’m bringing mine in mid June. My rattle is so bloody annoying. I had the X when I had my car at the center a couple weeks ago and didn’t care one bit for it. They had my car for a week as well for the charge port problem.

Bump up on this, as I am taking my Y in to the service center tomorrow, in part because of this rattle (also because of inconsistent trunk latch and minor paint touch ups). I'll try putting the center seat down today. I've tried the solutions of putting the seatbelts over the headrests and also just buckling them all and that does not seem to remedy the rattle.

So, here’s the scoop:

Tesla replaced the backs of the rear seats, but Tesla has another part that’s still on back order. Apparently, there is supposed to be a “barrier” between the seat and the seat back which is supposed to fix the issue. Again, the part is still on back order so, not totally fixed as of today. They are supposed to let me know when the part is back in stock and have a mobile ranger come and install it. Other than that, they fixed my rear drivers side passenger door (repainted the whole door and realigned it). Looks good now. In conclusion, it is more silent back there, but they weren’t totally happy, since the fox is still missing a part. Apparently, Tesla knows this is a major flaw, and are going to make good on it. Great experience over all with the Henrietta NY SC. Great folks to deal with, very sincere. I’ll keep you guys posted as this is a work in progress.

Reactions: Ml007
The rattle is definitely coming from “inside” the seat. If Tesla’s fix doesn’t fix this, I’m planning on putting some sort of foam or dynamat on the insides of the rear seats. I already played around with this, and it’s totally fixable with such measures.

Glad to see Tesla seems to at least know about the problem now and sounds like they have a fix (service bulletin) coming soon.. I cut them a little slack due to Covid.. but with their factory now getting back up to speed lets hope these fixes come out quickly now.

I don't have the rattle...but I have a buzz, kind of sounds like paper buzzing if you blow over the edge. Its caused when you are on a rough road and the rear center and passenger's material are rubbing together at the top. Just whatever material they used makes "whooshing" type noises when rubbed together. Kind of like wearing polyester pants vs cotton pants.

For now, I just put a small piece of rubber between the two seats so no more noise there.

I don't have the rattle...but I have a buzz, kind of sounds like paper buzzing if you blow over the edge. Its caused when you are on a rough road and the rear center and passenger's material are rubbing together at the top. Just whatever material they used makes "whooshing" type noises when rubbed together. Kind of like wearing polyester pants vs cotton pants.

For now, I just put a small piece of rubber between the two seats so no more noise there.

This describes what I hear in my Y. Definitely not a rattle. I liken it to a plastic shopping bag when it vibrates a little. So I'm not certain I need a "barrier" fix inside the seat as alluded higher in the thread or if the issues is friction between two of the rear seats. Will have to play around more with the positions of the seats to isolate it better. Either that or wait until this is a known bulletin for service centers.

Yes....much better description ->

-------------
I liken it to a plastic shopping bag when it vibrates a little.
-------------

If you have that...its just the fabric rubbing against each other. Putting most anything between them should fix it.

Crossing my fingers that the new rear seat fix works, as I’m bringing mine in mid June. My rattle is so bloody annoying. I had the X when I had my car at the center a couple weeks ago and didn’t care one bit for it. They had my car for a week as well for the charge port problem.
Hello there, Hope you got this fixed. I have the same issue and looking for any hints/advice/recommendations for a mobile service tech appointment I have next week.

So, here’s the scoop:

Tesla replaced the backs of the rear seats, but Tesla has another part that’s still on back order. Apparently, there is supposed to be a “barrier” between the seat and the seat back which is supposed to fix the issue. Again, the part is still on back order so, not totally fixed as of today. They are supposed to let me know when the part is back in stock and have a mobile ranger come and install it. Other than that, they fixed my rear drivers side passenger door (repainted the whole door and realigned it). Looks good now. In conclusion, it is more silent back there, but they weren’t totally happy, since the fox is still missing a part. Apparently, Tesla knows this is a major flaw, and are going to make good on it. Great experience over all with the Henrietta NY SC. Great folks to deal with, very sincere. I’ll keep you guys posted as this is a work in progress.
Hello LowlyOilBurner, I have struggling with this same issues (rattle in rear seat area) and wondered if this was resolved for you and if so how? Many thanks!

I have this issue, too. It actually got worse after a mobile tech came to replace the center seat release and all three seat backs (one had busted posts). Today it drove me crazy so I pulled up the rear seat bottom (easy, just pull up from the front) and noticed all the wiring to the seats in stiff plastic wire loom was not secured to their respective clips and mounting points, so they were all just bouncing around under the seat and above he metal inverter housing. Think of hard plastic wiring inside of loose hard plastic sleeves. I remounted them and put the seat back in and am back to the much more minor paper bag / plastic bag sound. Just throwing it out there in case there are two causes with similar effects.