TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rattle from rear seatbelt retractor?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by dasn, Aug 1, 2020 at 7:06 PM.

1. dasn

dasn Member

I have a RHD model 3 and there appears to be a rattle that's coming from the driver side (right) rear passenger seatbelt retractor area, I can't tell if it's the actual retractor or not but it's in that general region.

It sounds almost like a cricket when I'm driving, almost like a loose washer that's vibrating again a bolt.

Does anyone know how to remove the plastic around the rear seatbelt retractors or can point me to a video/instructions?

I've read many threads about rear rattles and many of them say it's the rear seat latches but the rattle is still there even when I have passengers in the back and when I fold down the seats. I had a rear passenger help me listen and they were pretty certain it was from the right side seatbelt retractor area.

2. PNWLeccy

PNWLeccy Member

I have a similar rear rattle buzzy sound. I’ve tried lots of things, including felt on latches but there is no difference if the seats are folded down or are up.

I also thought the sound may be coming from the rear seat belt tensioner. To get to it you need to remove the C pillar, then the vertical trim piece in front of the triangle window before you can remove the black plastic that covers the seat belt tensioner. It’s not too difficult though.

I discovered that because I have a 6/18 there is no foam insulation in this area but from pictures I’ve seen, newer models now contain foam surrounding the seat belt tensioner. Unfortunately , I couldn’t identify anything loose in the tensioner and surrounding the thing with foam insulation did not resolve the issue.

Let me know if you find anything different.