Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle from rear seatbelt retractor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a RHD model 3 and there appears to be a rattle that's coming from the driver side (right) rear passenger seatbelt retractor area, I can't tell if it's the actual retractor or not but it's in that general region.

It sounds almost like a cricket when I'm driving, almost like a loose washer that's vibrating again a bolt.

Does anyone know how to remove the plastic around the rear seatbelt retractors or can point me to a video/instructions?

I've read many threads about rear rattles and many of them say it's the rear seat latches but the rattle is still there even when I have passengers in the back and when I fold down the seats. I had a rear passenger help me listen and they were pretty certain it was from the right side seatbelt retractor area.

I have a similar rear rattle buzzy sound. I’ve tried lots of things, including felt on latches but there is no difference if the seats are folded down or are up.

I also thought the sound may be coming from the rear seat belt tensioner. To get to it you need to remove the C pillar, then the vertical trim piece in front of the triangle window before you can remove the black plastic that covers the seat belt tensioner. It’s not too difficult though.

I discovered that because I have a 6/18 there is no foam insulation in this area but from pictures I’ve seen, newer models now contain foam surrounding the seat belt tensioner. Unfortunately , I couldn’t identify anything loose in the tensioner and surrounding the thing with foam insulation did not resolve the issue.

Let me know if you find anything different.

I had a similar cricket noise in the upper B-pillar at higher speeds. Turned out to be the front left wheel well liner tapping against the fender edge. The noise was transferring all the way up the pillar past the front seat-belts. 5 minutes with foam tape on the edge of the liner and BOOM - metallic fluttering noise gone. Maybe not your source of noise but something to think about.

There is also a module mounted in the right rear C-pillar that people have found loose and causing noise in there. Something to look into. Removing the C-pillar trim is easy - just some push style clips holding it in place.

Last edited:
So I was not game enough to try to remove the C-pillar, does anyone have any pictures/videos on how to do it? If not that's okay I may just save this one for the next service visit.

I checked my fender liners and they all look pretty good except I have this issue but its on the opposite side of where I'm hearing the 'cricket' noise.

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
So just closing the loop on this, I think I fixed the issue, or at least I haven't heard it for the past 1.5 weeks.

I think the rattle/cricket noise is from the foam under the rear parcel shelf/deck coming loose. When I pressed down on the rear parcel shelf I could hear a sticking sound which sounds like adhesive briefly sticking to the parcel shelf and then releasing/unsticking. My theory was that, while driving the vibrations was causing this sticking/unsticking sound to happen at a high frequency, hence causing the 'cricket' like sound.

So what I did was to fold down the back seats and look up at the underside of the rear parcel shelf, I saw some holes where I could access the foam, I wedged some small foam pads in the area near where the sound was coming from. After this I pressed down on the rear parcel shelf again and I could no longer hear the sticking/unsticking sound and it seemed to have fixed the issue. I no longer hear the 'cricket' sound near the rear driver side seatbelt while driving.

Hope this helps anyone with a similar issue.

So just closing the loop on this, I think I fixed the issue, or at least I haven't heard it for the past 1.5 weeks.

I think the rattle/cricket noise is from the foam under the rear parcel shelf/deck coming loose. When I pressed down on the rear parcel shelf I could hear a sticking sound which sounds like adhesive briefly sticking to the parcel shelf and then releasing/unsticking. My theory was that, while driving the vibrations was causing this sticking/unsticking sound to happen at a high frequency, hence causing the 'cricket' like sound.

So what I did was to fold down the back seats and look up at the underside of the rear parcel shelf, I saw some holes where I could access the foam, I wedged some small foam pads in the area near where the sound was coming from. After this I pressed down on the rear parcel shelf again and I could no longer hear the sticking/unsticking sound and it seemed to have fixed the issue. I no longer hear the 'cricket' sound near the rear driver side seatbelt while driving.

This is exactly what I suspected. I actually attempted to take off the rear parcel shelf previously too apply sound deadening but too many things were attached and I couldn’t quite lift it up enough.

What sort of foam did you use as it must have to be pretty thin to avoid it bulging?

My Rear shelf is making that same noise. Couldnt really figure out how to quiet it yet.

Reactions: webbah
I'm going to go out and inspect mine right now. I have struggled with the same noises coming from that area. I've already done soundproofing everywhere else in the car. One other source of rattles for me was under the front seats you will find some plastic vents. These are not secured at all and you can move them up and down and side to side with your fingers. I used some double sided tape to secure them to the floor.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff