TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rattle in Front End - 2018 S 75D

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by BillFres, Apr 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BillFres

BillFres Member

I took delivery of my new car in late February. Shortly after taking delivery, I noticed a rattling noise in the front end. A low rattle, especially on a road with broken pavement. I don't notice anything at higher speeds...

I brought it to the Monterey Service Center, where they reviewed everything, determining it's the front left strut. In their checking w Tesla, it appears they are waiting for info from the manufacturers of the strut before replacing it, as it's an issue that has been noted.

I trust their diagnosis, but was just curious if many others on TMC have had a similar issue.

I love the car. But, it's a bit annoying to have that rattle as I quietly hum along the road...

Bill

2. arlorose

arlorose Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. BillFres

BillFres Member

arlorose: thanks for that info!!! Glad it's not just me. I looked through that thread, and the video that someone posted captures it perfectly.

So my short-term solution of turning up the music is valid...
    Bill

4. nexusone

nexusone Member

I took delivery of a MS75D last week. It has this problem.

5. BillFres

BillFres Member

Well, I hope that this helps... The Monterey Service Center checked mine out, and told me they are working with the manufacturer on a solution. I'm glad to see that others have the same problem, so maybe I can relax a bit more and just enjoy the car...
    B

• Like x 1
  6. nexusone

nexusone Member

7. markn455

markn455 Member

I have the same rattle in both front struts on certain surfaces with my 2018. My Mid 2014 did not have the issue.

8. Gyrfalcon

Gyrfalcon New Member

Yes, same thing here: a rattling / knocking noise coming from the front end, sounds like it could be the front struts. S 100D purchased September 2017, now at around 12,000 km (7,500 mi). Mostly heard at low speeds over uneven road surfaces. At first I thought it was snow & ice being picked up and slapping against the underside, but it still happens now with clear roads. Will see what Support says.

9. CaliSol

CaliSol Member

If you’re interested in doing some reconnaissance, some of us over on the other discussion page (Rattle noise coming from front air suspension) are trying to figure out whether this only affects cars with air suspension, or all recent Model S vehicles. Can you please post the month/year of your car and whether it has air suspension or not? Some have posted photos of the suspension part. So far, of those who have posted, everyone has the newer Firestone struts with part number 1067361-25-C. The majority have been fall 2017 builds and beyond.

• Like x 1
  10. nexusone

nexusone Member

April 2018 MS75D w/ air.

• Informative x 1
  11. nexusone

nexusone Member

SC didn't even bat an eye at me today when road testing for the suspension noise. The guy immediately acknowledged the issue and said he knew what it was and that they would order the parts to "replace the front suspension" --- no additional details beyond that.

12. Gyrfalcon

Gyrfalcon New Member

13. Gyrfalcon

Gyrfalcon New Member

September 2017, Model S 100D with air suspension.

• Informative x 1
  14. CaliSol

CaliSol Member

September 2017 MS 90D w/ air

15. BillFres

BillFres Member

February 2018 MS 75D w/ air

• Informative x 1
  16. Nosken

Nosken Member

November 2016, Model S, 90D with Air suspension set at standard level. Rattle is persistent at low speeds.

• Informative x 1
  17. Kramleets

Kramleets Member

September 2017 with air
    Rattle worst under 50kph

18. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

August 2016 without air. It's been ratting for 30k miles. I think that you will find that it's mostly people with air suspension that have the issue because most cars are equipped with air suspension.

• Informative x 1
  19. Nosken

Nosken Member

I have the rattle in my 11/16 build S90D with SAS. I never had the rattle with my 2/15 build P85D with SAS that had 55,000 miles.

• Informative x 1
  20. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

It seems that the only common denominator is that only facelift cars have this issues.