Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle in Front End - 2018 S 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my new car in late February. Shortly after taking delivery, I noticed a rattling noise in the front end. A low rattle, especially on a road with broken pavement. I don't notice anything at higher speeds...

I brought it to the Monterey Service Center, where they reviewed everything, determining it's the front left strut. In their checking w Tesla, it appears they are waiting for info from the manufacturers of the strut before replacing it, as it's an issue that has been noted.

I trust their diagnosis, but was just curious if many others on TMC have had a similar issue.

I love the car. But, it's a bit annoying to have that rattle as I quietly hum along the road...

Bill

Yes, same thing here: a rattling / knocking noise coming from the front end, sounds like it could be the front struts. S 100D purchased September 2017, now at around 12,000 km (7,500 mi). Mostly heard at low speeds over uneven road surfaces. At first I thought it was snow & ice being picked up and slapping against the underside, but it still happens now with clear roads. Will see what Support says.

If you’re interested in doing some reconnaissance, some of us over on the other discussion page (Rattle noise coming from front air suspension) are trying to figure out whether this only affects cars with air suspension, or all recent Model S vehicles. Can you please post the month/year of your car and whether it has air suspension or not? Some have posted photos of the suspension part. So far, of those who have posted, everyone has the newer Firestone struts with part number 1067361-25-C. The majority have been fall 2017 builds and beyond.

Reactions: Dragetreneren
SC didn't even bat an eye at me today when road testing for the suspension noise. The guy immediately acknowledged the issue and said he knew what it was and that they would order the parts to "replace the front suspension" --- no additional details beyond that.

If you’re interested in doing some reconnaissance, some of us over on the other discussion page (Rattle noise coming from front air suspension) are trying to figure out whether this only affects cars with air suspension, or all recent Model S vehicles. Can you please post the month/year of your car and whether it has air suspension or not? Some have posted photos of the suspension part. So far, of those who have posted, everyone has the newer Firestone struts with part number 1067361-25-C. The majority have been fall 2017 builds and beyond.