Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, update from my side.

I went to the local SC yesterday for a creaking noise inside the cabin, which they fixed.

When I mentioned the problem of the rattle, with the technician inside the car with me, he said it was caused by some support for the windshield going all the way down to the frame of the car. He mentioned that removing these supports solved the problem, but obviously that's not a good solution as these supports are there for a good reason.

He mentioned that they were still waiting for a definitive fix from the factory.

Anybody else heard a similar story?
That has been going around for a while. The brace(s) in question seems to only transmit the sound to the cabin and are not the actual source of the sound according to others that have looked into it.

• Informative
Reactions: daktari
I don't have twitter but maybe Mr. Musk could answer if our cars should make that noise from the videos?
I escalated my case via MyTesla, which then again was sent to SC without answer for a week now. And a general reply that "sounds can come from many places, we know nothing of a fleet wide problem."

Do YOU recognize the popping sound, besides your rattle? I believe you have two different problems if you don't know what that is sounds to me to be the steering gear. AND steering rack
Hello, thanks for the info. The popping sound is a rattle in the dashboard. I have this sound since the Last time the car was in the SC to make some audio recordings (probably the removed parts of the dashboard). I think the popping sound can be fixed but I want to have a solution for the main issue. SC keeps telling its the front suspension... After writing letters and emails to Tesla Belgium (Without response so far) It's time we go a step further .... Very frustrating .....

I think I have the same issue on my car. Facelift AP1 90D with air suspension delivered late December 2016. Built in August/September 2016. It's most noticeable when driving below 50 kph on snow with washboard roughness since tire nose is low in those cases.

My closest service center is Kokstad near Bergen, Norway. Since they don't answer phone calls and emails and have tons of cars with more important issues to fix, I haven't contacted them with this issue.

Just had my visit with the service ranger about this noise...

He seemed to suggest a correlation with AP2.5 cars. That is, the steering rack had a change at that time. He has one other car in his service pool that shows this, a 227xxx build. He's replaced everything else but the steering rack on that car and that's next. He's ordered a rack (hard to get) and front struts for mine but will wait until his other client's car shows that a rack fixes the issue.

Interestingly the day before we got temps into the 70's and the noise was very much reduced. Anyone else notice a temperature dependence?

He also said that the change over from Continental to Firestone struts is a good thing. Most of the Continental struts develop leaks.

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop
Just had my visit with the service ranger about this noise...

He seemed to suggest a correlation with AP2.5 cars. That is, the steering rack had a change at that time. He has one other car in his service pool that shows this, a 227xxx build. He's replaced everything else but the steering rack on that car and that's next. He's ordered a rack (hard to get) and front struts for mine but will wait until his other client's car shows that a rack fixes the issue.

Interestingly the day before we got temps into the 70's and the noise was very much reduced. Anyone else notice a temperature dependence?

He also said that the change over from Continental to Firestone struts is a good thing. Most of the Continental struts develop leaks.
Mine is an AP1 car and I have already had the rack replaced with no change. On mine, the warmer it is, the louder it is.