Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All - An update regarding my MS front end rattle which I documented in this video awhile ago:

I brought my car back from the SC two days ago and the rattle is completely gone (so far)! The service invoice simply states they replaced the front air spring modules. I’m 50 miles in and my car sounds great without the annoying rattle. I was told there isn’t a mass roll out for this fix yet due to parts. I was one of the first 10 people and I think they’re starting with the Bay Area. But, just know that it can be fixed for you. Hang in there, the end is near for this saga.

DABDFFA3-28E2-4AD7-96E7-791574A0BFC4.jpeg
Hi All - An update regarding my MS front end rattle which I documented in this video awhile ago:

I brought my car back from the SC two days ago and the rattle is completely gone (so far)! The service invoice simply states they replaced the front air spring modules. I’m 50 miles in and my car sounds great without the annoying rattle. I was told there isn’t a mass roll out for this fix yet due to parts. I was one of the first 10 people and I think they’re starting with the Bay Area. But, just know that it can be fixed for you. Hang in there, the end is near for this saga.

Awesome! Was looking forward to hearing how your car was doing since we have the same problem and I think actually the same car (battery size).

But what is interesting is that the front Passenger side air spring module was only replaced on mine and I still have the noise though. Did they replace BOTH front on your car?

So maybe we can stem the issue to specifically the driver side air spring module in general. That is the one that has not been replaced on my car and yet I still have the noise. You have driven 50 miles, I’d to see how your car is doing after more miles to make sure the noise doesn’t come back.

Last edited:
But what is interesting is that the front Passenger side air spring module was only replaced on mine and I still have the noise though. Did they replace BOTH front on your car?

So maybe we can stem the issue to specifically the driver side air spring module in general. That is the one that has not been replaced on my car and yet I still have the noise. You have driven 50 miles, I’d to see how your car is doing after more miles to make sure the noise doesn’t come back.

When was yours replaced? I think that the updated parts has only been available in the last week or so. If your struts were replaced prior to that they would have been the same old design that had the problem.

No part numbers listed, unfortunately. But, these new parts I got have not been distributed to SCs and, as far as I know, can’t be ordered by SCs yet. Based on what I know we are still extremely early in this solution process and, to Bebop’s point, we still need to make sure this fix will be a permanent resolution.
Any chance you can raise your suspension and get a photo of the part number on the strut?

Great news dude! Lets hope this 'fix' starts rolling out sooner rather than later.

I'm still skeptical of this solution, as I don't believe this is isolated just to vehicles with air suspension. My 2013 with coils also has this sound. A few months ago the SC replaced an upper control arm, end links, and my steering rack... all to no avail.

I'm still skeptical of this solution, as I don't believe this is isolated just to vehicles with air suspension. My 2013 with coils also has this sound. A few months ago the SC replaced an upper control arm, end links, and my steering rack... all to no avail.

It appears I lost that battle as someone went back to the moderators and lobbied to have the thread title changed again to reflect the arbitrary scoping of the problem they have decided is accurate based on 29 pages of speculation.

I fully acknowledge there are probably multiple sources of this sound and continued discussion on potential solutions is probably in the best interest of everyone, but there's little interest in having that conversation in this thread.

Reactions: scaesare
OK some very good news from my side.

I wrote back to the customer support, after the note I had gotten back in June.

They replied saying the fix had been found and parts would be available in the next 2-3 weeks. My local SC will contact me once they have the parts.
Would you be able to elaborate on what was the problem and what is the solution from a more technical perspective? This is just a respectful way to treat customers who have ben suffering this problem for a prolonged period of time. It might as well help to motivate some owners to withdraw their legal council enquiries which will stop possible media spin offs in addition to probably unnecessary legal costs now.

I suggest you try using suspension leveling, also on a road surface a little more challenging than complete flat. Then my guess would be that you might be confident the fix has worked.

Can you also pull details of the problem and the solution from your SC? You can tell that this will make a LOT of owners happy in more than 13 countries!

OK some very good news from my side.

I wrote back to the customer support, after the note I had gotten back in June.

They replied saying the fix had been found and parts would be available in the next 2-3 weeks. My local SC will contact me once they have the parts.

My SC in Houston is saying the same thing. They said a new air spring part number became available last week but they are waiting on the official bulletin that addresses the fix.

Can you also pull details of the problem and the solution from your SC? You can tell that this will make a LOT of owners happy in more than 13 countries!

@Dragetreneren I highly doubt Tesla is going to release any more information than what you already have. A new air spring module has been designed that should resolve the problem. Since Tesla doesn't actually make those modules they might not even know what exactly was causing the problem internally.

Reactions: Dragetreneren
Would you be able to elaborate on what was the problem and what is the solution from a more technical perspective? This is just a respectful way to treat customers who have ben suffering this problem for a prolonged period of time. It might as well help to motivate some owners to withdraw their legal council enquiries which will stop possible media spin offs in addition to probably unnecessary legal costs now.
It was the dreaded low speed rattle sound coming from the front suspension on rough pavement.

No idea what will be replaced. I'll post once the fix has been done.

@Dragetreneren I highly doubt Tesla is going to release any more information than what you already have. A new air spring module has been designed that should resolve the problem. Since Tesla doesn't actually make those modules they might not even know what exactly was causing the problem internally.

This is quite puzzling indeed. Because in my SC I was informed about Bilstein USA working on the fix. How come Air Spring Modules labeled "Firestone" has become the problem/solution? Also rattle is one thing, but the driving comfort is worse on the vehicles with the rattle (depending on the degree of the problem I guess).

I do not want to be the one bringing bad news, but just want to inform community that someone I know has had his vehicle in service where the repair was carried out approximately 16-30 days ago (the car was in SC for 14 days) where among other replacements was Air Spring Module. The repair did make the rattle slightly less noticable, but it has not disappear. As well as the driving comfort has not been improved. The latter is easily sensible by driving vehicles with and without the rattle.

I do not want to be the one bringing bad news, but just want to inform community that someone I know has had his car in service where the repair was carried out approximately 16-30 days ago (the car was in SC for 14 days) where among other replacements was Air Spring Module. The repair did make the rattle slightly less noticable, but it has not disappear. As well as the driving comfort has not been improved. The latter is easily sensible by driving vehicles with and without the rattle.

The new parts weren't available then, so he probably just got the same revision he already had installed. (That happened to a lot of people.)

They will have to replace them again once they get the new corrected parts.