Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have now finally gotten the -77-C front struts installed to fix my rattle problem.

Quick synopsis...

After 5K miles car demonstrates the rattle issue
Service ranger agrees, orders steering rack and front struts (however he gets the old -25-C struts)
Ranger installs -25-C struts (decides my issue is not the steering rack related one)
Rattle noise is reduced but not eliminated
Ranger finds service bulletin describing rattle issue, conducts instrumented test with strut brace removal to prove I fit into the solution, however new parts (the -77-C) not yet available
After another 5K miles, noise is back at previous levels
People here identify the -77-C part and start having it installed with good results but not for all
Ranger orders parts on my statement that others reporting these results
About two months waiting for parts, installed 12/6, noise eliminated
Currently in wait and see mode (totally sensitized to the noise so it will be easy to ID), no planned trips to yet to quickly add 5 K miles

I wonder if taking action outlined is this article would get Tesla’s attention!

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-to-possibly-force-a-recall-on-your-car-1830938474

2017 TESLA MODEL S 75D 5 HB AWD

Capture.JPG

See Manufacturer Communication SB1831009, 9 october 2018

• Helpful
Reactions: N..8
Next week (Dec 21st) SC in Stockholm Sweden is going to replace my struts. Let´s hope it will permanently fix both "the rattle" and the "uncontrolled suspension movements". Had both issues short after delivery in July 18 getting constantly worse since. MS75D manufactured march18.

Reactions: Dragetreneren
Next week (Dec 21st) SC in Stockholm Sweden is going to replace my struts. Let´s hope it will permanently fix both "the rattle" and the "uncontrolled suspension movements". Had both issues short after delivery in July 18 getting constantly worse since. MS75D manufactured march18.

You shouold not have too high expectations so that it will not come as a shock. Wait a couple of weeks before you writ ea feedback here. It took a couple of days in this winter weather to get it back in my car. And I am not alone here in Norway.

Mine is now still perfect. Only about 2 weeks/800 miles in.
This is purely anecdotal from my own experience limited to 2 vehicles...
I have a feeling it may also depend on when the car was built. Prior to my March 2018 build MS100D I had a 2017 March Build MS 90D.
At 10,000 miles the difference between the two was dramatic. The 2017 90D rattle was extreme. The 2018 100D had the rattle to a much lesser degree. Like 10 to 1 better. And now it seems to be gone. At least to my senses.

my 2017 Dec MS75D is going in for service on 12/27 for the same and other interior rattling issues. Here is the weird clunking issue under hard acceleration after parking the car for a long time(like over night)

Being in Michigan my car would be valeted 200miles to Cleveland. So all my interactions with the service personnel would be over the phone. Do you think mentioning anything specific like an existing service bulletin(if there is any) or any part numbers would make it clear to the service manager. I dont want the car to just go to Cleveland and come back with no fixes since scheduling appointments these days with Tesla has been very tough.
These clunk and rattle sounds atleast for me are highly temperature sensitive. they used to be alot prominent in summer and relatively better in winter. Any inputs are highly appreciated.

my 2017 Dec MS75D is going in for service on 12/27 for the same and other interior rattling issues. Here is the weird clunking issue under hard acceleration after parking the car for a long time(like over night)

Being in Michigan my car would be valeted 200miles to Cleveland. So all my interactions with the service personnel would be over the phone. Do you think mentioning anything specific like an existing service bulletin(if there is any) or any part numbers would make it clear to the service manager. I dont want the car to just go to Cleveland and come back with no fixes since scheduling appointments these days with Tesla has been very tough.
These clunk and rattle sounds atleast for me are highly temperature sensitive. they used to be alot prominent in summer and relatively better in winter. Any inputs are highly appreciated.
Service Bulletin is called Manufacturer Communications nowadays. The reference number is SB1831009. See post #747 above.

Thank you! But the Manufacturer Communication states that its normal to have such noises? Nothing about the fix is mentioned there.

First of all, the service bulletin is referring to a different problem. Namely, the subject of this thread. Sorry for the confusion.

The problem on your video is with drive axels when accelerating at "High". I cannot tell if these two problems are interrelated. I have not seen service bulletin related to that either. But I can tell that if not taken care of, I would be concerned about the drive unit - that is what I heard people reporting about DU being affected as the concequence of the problem with drive axels. You should not take my words for granted and consult a technician.

P.S. The problem with drive axels is not unique to your vehicle. Mine have it and all the people I know with TMS 2017-18 also have it.

Reactions: tarunck

I’d type up a list of the things you’d like them to address with some descriptions of the sounds and what has already been done for them. Not a bad idea to include the specific part number for the struts (see earlier in this thread for the number).

I’d type up a list of the things you’d like them to address with some descriptions of the sounds and what has already been done for them. Not a bad idea to include the specific part number for the struts (see earlier in this thread for the number).
It will enourmously help with NVH analysis if technicians had a sound recording of the problem. Video can also be useful, @tarunck

Reactions: tarunck