Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a facelift 2016 Model S 90D and I´ve had the click-clack noise when driving over small bumps at low speeds since the car was new. On my car it´s lauder now when it´s cold. To be honest, I don´t think Tesla will come up with a solution for this on my car, which is sad, because it ruins my experience of the car. I have several other issues with my car as well, so I´m in the bizarre situation that I avoid driving my $100k+ car as much as I can. I have ordered a Model 3, so I will give Tesla one more chance.
If I only was made aware of this "feature" in advance the idea of joining Tesla club would never crossed my mind. For damn sure.

FWIW mine still doesn't rattle, over a month after the fix. Could be temperature or usage are factors? Though it's gotten below freezing here. I don't ever use "very high" if that's a factor. Or maybe it comes down to how well they were installed.
Which rims are mounted on your car now? With R21 the problem is less prominent according to some reports.

P.S.
Would be nice if all have updated their signature with the rim size.

Which rims are mounted on your car now? With R21 the problem is less prominent according to some reports.

P.S.

I had reduced noise during summer months with 20" wheels. The sound got worse when it started to get colder (+10c and below) and got even worse when I switched to 19" winter wheels.

I have also lowered my car with adjustable links but those have not made any difference.

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
Hi
I had my struts replaced with the 77-C and the rsttle has gone however I now get a rumble under hard acceleration. SC say it is either drive shafts or DU but seems strange it never did it before.

My S is booked in with my local SC end Dec for assessment of suspension rattle (been an issue from around 800 miles from new).

In the meantime, and in the last three hundred or so miles, I've three or four times experienced vibration under hard acceleration... it's like the drive shafts are knackered. Which obviously they shouldn't be...

Needless to say, I'm not remotely impressed, and shall report this latest issue to my SC.

I will also tweet Mr Musk. After all, he's the boss, and he seems keen to personally interact with his customers. So...I shall interact.

£10k car or £100k car...this kind of stuff is not acceptable.

P.S.

Interesting theory - one of our S's has 19s the other has 21s - the car with 19s is much much worse. - maybe I will swap and see what happens.
SC has ordered "77" struts and steering racks for both cars.

Bought my 75d in October 2017. Had the rattle since day 1. I’ve been to the SC on 5 occasions about it

I got a call a month ago that they had an engineering fix for it and needed to order the parts.

Took the car in for the service appointment last Friday and picked it up yesterday. They replaced both front struts completely with updated parts

The sound is completely gone

YES!!!

2017 75D w/ ~2500 miles. I *think* I have the same thing. It's hard to capture on video, but listen closely to this video I recently captured and lmk if you hear something similar to what you have in your car:

IMG_1134 - Streamable

Confirmation would be super helpful.
Yes! That's it! March, 2018 S100D - same sound at low speed.
I also found it hard to capture on video.
The technician in Vancouver tightened the "underbody shield bolts" which were loose, but the thunk is still there.

• Informative
Why would you need "to convience" SC? Isn't it a warranty case according to your countris legislation? Where is the vehicle registered?

Norway :) But I don't mean convincing them to fix it, but convincing them to preorder the parts so they have it in store before service.
Update: I heard the same rattle from people without air suspension, and they had another fix, will get back to you with an update:

Audio: Link Sharing

Last edited:
I have a 2018 S which had this problem from day one. Thought it was something loose behind the dash. SC replaced front struts. Said the mounts were out of spec. Sounds like the rear could use replacement as well. Worst on cobbles or similar short stutter bumps. Has been two weeks since I got back. Will have to see if it recurs