TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ptekngo, Feb 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. PaulSilverLake

PaulSilverLake New Member

Just received a text from Tesla saying my parts are now backordered. waiting............

2. wattsup

wattsup Member

Today I got my P100D (early 2017) back from the Burlingame, CA service center with the revised 77-C parts installed on the front wheels. They had the car for a week, also did an annual service, and worked on a couple other minor (unrelated) issues.

I have been experiencing "the rattle" for the last year and half, and first started noticing it (to the best of my memory) when my car was about 6 months old (around mid-2017). I did mention the rattle during a SC visit several months ago, and they came back "it is caused by the steering rack" and the car is "functioning normally". I didn't really buy that explanation, and since then, I have been reading this thread, biding my time until it seemed like there was a solution.

My car sounds exactly like all the sample videos posted here -- that "wobbly", randomish, somewhat rattly, somewhat muted, sound/feel that seems to come from front, possibly the driver's side -- occurring most prominently over uneven pavement around 10 mph, and not really present (or at least apparent) at higher speeds. The first and last few minutes of my daily drive fit that scenario -- so needless to say my days always start and end on a slightly depressing note, for the last year and half.

Anyway, the invoice from my visit this week states that the 77-C parts were installed, and I have verified this (by looking at the stickers on the parts themselves which are now on my car).

Drum-roll please....

There is absolutely zero change in the rattle noise. The identical rattle was still there immediately upon driving away from the SC.

This despite the invoice item for the repair beginning with the description, "Driveway technician verified on a road test and recommends to update the front air springs with the revised part", and ending with, "Verified noise concerns are no longer present".

These two statements in the item must have come from different people! Last week, the "driveway technician" seemed quite aware of the issue, and recognized it when I was able to clearly and obviously demo it to him (over a rough patch of road near the SC) and he even went on to describe the 77-C fix as addressing an issue where the diameter of two parts allowed "too much play" and that the revised part "had a smaller diameter" that would resolve the noise. When I asked if that SC had "already done some" of these repairs, he said yes other customers had come in for the revised parts and resolved the noise. Even though there have been mixed outcomes reported with the 77-C in this thread, I was hopeful due to the Service Bulletin from Tesla, and even more hopeful as I drove away from the SC last week. (Even though all they could give me for a loaner was a horrible ICE boat known as a Chevy Impala.)

I was so bummed on my drive home from the SC this evening. When I got the "your car is ready" call from the SC earlier today, I was so excited that the stupid rattle was going to be gone!

Now, given my outcome, I concede that I may certainly have some other kind of issue. (Although see my earlier comment about how the sound is exactly like the videos and precisely fits the descriptions given by countless others in this thread.) Or, perhaps not all 77-C parts are created equal.

Naturally, I intend to complain to the SC that the problem still isn't fixed, and point out that the "Verified noise concerns are no longer present" statement on the invoice must be some kind of mistake. For crying out loud, there is a nearby patch of road (that I drove immediately after picking up my car today) where the problem is easily reproduced (where the original driveway technician verified the problem). Why didn't they replicate that test?! I can only conclude that these "driveway technicians" and the "repair technicians" don't seem to have a very good system of communication, which is quite disappointing.

*sigh*

• Informative x 2
  3. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

I have been monitoring this thread as my Model X has the same issue. They replaced a air spring module 18 months ago and the sound returned just after I had new tires installed recently. The symptoms are exactly as you report. Its at slower speeds and not really going over bumps but just roads that cause the car to pitch and roll a bit because of non perfect road surface.

The SC had issues finding the cause this time and here is what they wrote up. Note I still have the rattle because they only had one part to replace and to date have not contacted me in over three weeks to finish the repair.

Note from my invoice 18 months ago the part replaced was the same as this time so for the Model X, no new part was designed.

4. Dragetreneren

Dragetreneren Member

The issue does not need to be bushings at the top of the strut. My assumption is that there is a design issue in the front suspension which is challenging them.

The new struts ensure a more supple ride and constitute an attempt to mitigate the problem that has not been announced yet. This is my perception at least.

5. Tim-in-CA

Tim-in-CA Member

This was my experience as well … installation of the new part number struts did not resolve the issue. I took it back and they replaced the steering rack and now the rattle issue is gone (at least for the past 2 months or so). I'm not saying that it is a permanent fix and I wonder each day if the problem will return.

• Like x 1
  6. SuisseDriver

SuisseDriver Member

Wanted to share the fact that i had the new 77 parts installed on January 9th, made roughly 4000km since and the noise is definitely so far still gone.
    Let's hope it will not come back but so far, it completely eliminated the noise of my sept 2017 S75D.

• Informative x 1
  7. MadameT

MadameT New Member

A81569CB-2187-434A-A0E2-0F12399F2CBE.png Apparently this is where Tesla Service Centers in the US are going with this. Rattles are not covered under warranty and a charge to diagnose them. This is what they told me too and my rattle is getting worse even though they replaced the STEERING GEAR ASSY, but refused to replace the 77-B ( still have 25-B ) parts and basically told me not to bother them about it anymore. This is very disappointing.

After service didn’t fix the rattle at all even though they said it was fixed, I called several times and emailed ( no answer) and they finally agreed to send another ranger. I know the ranger is not equipped to fix suspension problems. The ranger came to my house, heard the rattle, ( my suspension also made awful noises he said were not normal when he raised and lowered it) said he was putting in an order for parts. He said Tesla wants us to be happy customers and would fix everything, but it has been several weeks with no news. He said service would call me to schedule, but I don’t have much confidence that they will.

There is never a written trace when the rangers come. I don’t know what they actually turn in. SC didn’t even know that the first ranger had come to my house and advised me to carry the car in to be serviced ( 2 hr drive ) because he was not equipped to handle it.

My first complaint was within the first year. 2000 miles only. They don’t seem to communicate even amongst themselves. Ranger asked me to send videos to service and service wasn’t even interested in them. I practically had to force them to watch the videos.

I really don’t know what to do at this point. I wonder if Elon would want his car to rattle like this. I’m really worried about the cost of future repairs. Something will break a some point with metal rubbing and grinding.

December 2017 Model S 75 EAP

• Informative x 2
  8. emmz0r

emmz0r Member

My local SC told me that the suspension rattle noise is a "sound", not a "noise", and that it's "just the way the car is".
    They still claim it's the steering rack for which there is no fix, but added it's because it's a more robust one (lol?).

I told them repeatedly about 77C but they refused to believe that was it...

9. Dragetreneren

Dragetreneren Member

May be conversation would go differently i the problem was a train, Tesla was sitting on the rails and you told them the train is coming and if they do not believe it it can have a catastrophic consequence?

Personally I do not see how this situation is different.

• Like x 1
  10. emmz0r

emmz0r Member

Them saying there is no fix ironically makes my case stronger for a replacement car or buyback or whatever. :)

• Like x 1
  11. Tim-in-CA

Tim-in-CA Member

Maybe escalate to your local news I-team. Nothing gets the attention of companies than negative press. The rattle issue is not isolated to you and appears to be a worldwide problem. Even though my “fix” has resolved the issue for now, but who knows if or when it will return.