Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had been tracking this thread for a while, but haven't kept up with the recent posts, so apologies if this has been discussed. I experienced similar rattling starting a few months after taking delivery, and had it addressed during a service visit in Late December. Looks like the same parts that haven't proven to help others, but just adding to the documentation.

Specifics about my case:
Mid-2018 build 75D with air suspension.
Starting hearing rattle at ~5K miles
Had it addressed at 11.5K late December 2018
Currently at 15.5K miles and 2.5 months since, and the rattle has not returned yet nor any other sounds.
Use the suspension level changes multiple times a day (parking at home and work raised to very high, lowered to low on the highway most days)

Below are the note on the invoice.

Customer states the front end rattles when driving slow over bumps.
Technician confirmed customer concern. Removed and replaced front struts
with updated version to address rattle. Vehicle operation tested and verified.
Correction: Exterior NVH General Diagnosis

Correction: Module - Air Suspension - ECU
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity 2
AIR SPRING MODULE FR - MS2 DM SRVC
(1067361-77-C)

Thank you so much for the report.

Indeed, some vehicles managed to make few thousands of km here in Norway and end up with the problem effects as before. As of the time of writing I am not aware of a "permanent" solution. It seems like there are several mitigation attempts, but none of them really succeeds. Rumor has it that there are several versions of the revision 1067361-77-C. At least three. The third being available approximately from Feb 2019 and is failing. Again, the problem might be not the struts, but something else in the front suspension design.

If you read my post you would know that the latest attempt to resolve it on my vehicle was Jan 2019. Have no idea which version of the latest revision it was.

There have been few comments from @MP3Mike and few others about this probably being another problem. But I assure you technicians in Norway are extremely professional and service centers do take this problem seriously. They test it with chassis ears and know exactly where the noise is coming from. More than that, the effect of the problem seems to be mitigated or in some cases (as I have mentioned above) "resolved" with the change of the struts, but it does come back at full after a short while. I emphasize - the rattle is THE EFFECT. Actually one of them. The other one is the clicking noise from the tower braces. You can clearly hear it from the record in my previous post.

So it is certainly struts that get challenged by the problem which is UNKNOWN and is never been communicated to me so far. All we know is that it started happening after post-April (aka facelift) 2016 changes in front of the vehicle.

An easy test that Tesla can do is to install the pre-April 2016 struts on a post-April 2016 vehicle and see how fast they will start failing. This will at least give some indications.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: aesculus
Approximately 1.5 months after last change of 77-C record: 77C_SecondAttempt (online-audio-converter.com).wav
Two distinct noises:
1. the rattle from the struts.
2. clicking from the tower braces.

Noise #2 have menifested itself shortly after the #1 originally and never disappeared.

Sounds very familiar!
Just got the 77-C installed for the second time and still hear the #2 noise. But just like after the first replacement the difference in driving comfort is enormous! These "uncontrolled suspension movements" you named before are at least as annoying as the rattle noise to me: It really seems like some "play" inside the struts is developing over time making the car wobble based on road condition.

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
Got the 77-C installed on my car yesterday.
The rattle noise is completely gone! Based on what I read here, I must enjoy it while it lasts!
Besides the noise being gone, I experience the car as different car all together! The car feels tighter, and more in tune with the surface it is driving on. Crossing railroad tracks and speed bumps has a completely different feel to it!

Tesla states that the rattle noise does not have a safety issue nor effect the performance of the car... well, for the safety issue I cannot comment, but comfort, feel and performance is definitely impacted by this fault! I feel I got a new car!

I will report back with any new development... fingers crossed it has been resolved!

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Hi, just adding info:
I have this, to me only annoying at low speeds on uneven surface.
Aug18 S75D, noise not present when new, started appearing within weeks.
Almost never change air suspension setting.
Noise has increased the last couple of months (or maybe I am just getting more annoyed over it..)
Addressed Nov18 at Mobile Service for an unrelated issue, Tech immediately verified noise and said fix is in the works, and I should schedule an appointment early 2019.
Describe the above to service in Feb and they first book me in on March 20, then later changes it to July 4 due to parts availability.
Crossing fingers for D (?) revision AIR SPRING MODULE but not high hopes. Will update.

4 days after update to 77-C I am still rattle free. I have used the raise/lower suspension function multiple times.

However, after the change of suspension the steering wheel is not aligned with the wheels... when having the steering wheel level/straight the car slightly turns to the right!

So one problem fixed, a new one created... the story of my time as Tesla owner... third time a new fault is created when going in to fix something else... UNBELIEVABLE!!
Based on service time in Norway I will have this issue addressed in 3-4 months... just in time to have the rattle noise to come back?!?!
Sorry for the blow out!

• Funny
Reactions: aesculus
Sounds very familiar!
Just got the 77-C installed for the second time and still hear the #2 noise. But just like after the first replacement the difference in driving comfort is enormous! These "uncontrolled suspension movements" you named before are at least as annoying as the rattle noise to me: It really seems like some "play" inside the struts is developing over time making the car wobble based on road condition.

Just wanted to add my experience to the list: I took delivery at the beginning of 2017 of a new inventory MS P100D so I'm assuming Q4 2016 build, and almost immediately noticed the rattle/clunking noise in the front suspension being discussed in this thread (#1 in the quoted wav file). I finally got it replaced at the beginning of this year after reading that this was a common issue with no known fix, hoping that by now it would have been fixed.

When I got the car back, the issue was gone and the car was sublime... for about a day. The day after, in the morning, I heard the rattle faintly again, and by the end of the day it was right back to pre-fix volume. So, no dice, there's still no fix.

I'm still trying to get the exact part number of what was installed, just to see - I didn't keep the receipt. I'll post the details as soon as I have them.

• Informative
I have a 2016 Model X with the same clunk/rattle noise at low speeds. It first appeared 18 months ago and they replaced the front air struts. About a month ago it returned. They diagnosed it again as the front air struts using the "chassis ears" and could only replace the left hand one as the other was not in stock. I waited until today to have them replace the right one. When they went to do the work they once again used the "chassis ears" and discovered it was not the strut but the bushing on the left front of the sway bar. The boot had a small hole that allowed water in and it caused corrosion and hence a failure of the fitting. They ended up replacing both sides just in case. I confirmed my rattle/clunk at low speeds is no longer present.

So while I have a Model X those with the same symptoms, especially those who had replacement struts, might want to have the SC do an inspection on the sway bar bushings.

Here is the work they did:

Test drove with chassis ears, Noise is not in front struts. Move chassis ears to various spots on front suspension, found noise is from LF sway bar end link. Performed replacement of both front sway bar end links and test drove, verified noise is no longer present.

• Informative
I have a 2016 Model X with the same clunk/rattle noise at low speeds. It first appeared 18 months ago and they replaced the front air struts. About a month ago it returned. They diagnosed it again as the front air struts using the "chassis ears" and could only replace the left hand one as the other was not in stock. I waited until today to have them replace the right one. When they went to do the work they once again used the "chassis ears" and discovered it was not the strut but the bushing on the left front of the sway bar. The boot had a small hole that allowed water in and it caused corrosion and hence a failure of the fitting. They ended up replacing both sides just in case. I confirmed my rattle/clunk at low speeds is no longer present.

So while I have a Model X those with the same symptoms, especially those who had replacement struts, might want to have the SC do an inspection on the sway bar bushings.

Here is the work they did:
From the first day that I took delivery of my new Model S (March 2018) in San Francisco, the strut rattle was present. By June 2018, the Tesla engineering department designed and installed "temporary fix" replacement struts (which required them to switch my 19" wheels to 21" wheels). The rattle disappeared for two months, but then started coming back. In Sep 2018, Tesla installed the new "permanent fix" 77-C struts and put my 19" wheels back on my car. By Dec 2018, the rattle came back. I am, of course, most intrigued and interested in the sway bar solution that your service center discovered, and I'm wondering if you can please tell me which service center did the work? Many thanks for any info you can send my way!!

This has been a problem for as long as there have been Bilstein air shocks. Lexus and Jaguar owners have had with very similar air shocks with rattling issues. I personally had this in my 2005 Jaguar XJR. There is part of the shock that come loose internally and rattles inside and you hear it at low speeds. Drove me crazy (along with other things of course since it was a Jaguar).

Maybe the act of lifting the car and moving things around positions them in such a way that they don't rattle until they move back to their normal resting position.

Even though the problem comes back it takes time for it to develop to the same level. If your assumption was correct I would imagine the problem to return promptly.

Besides, just see the video by the mechanic from Nederlands. He has performed tests with chassis ears:
The vibration is originating from the top of the strut. Here is the latest test:

Turn on CC and automatic translation if you prefer English.

• Helpful
Reactions: David99