Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if there's a new internal memo running around Service Centers on the subject denying further installation of 77-C's, like with the screen replacements for the yellowing borders.

Ugh, is this how it's going to be? Just Tesla gets to say 'well that's normal' and not address it? I'm sure someday I'll get the yellowing border, as well.

So they just didn't do anything at all for you?

This happened to me as well :mad:.

I took my Model S in for the rattle noise issue after waiting for several months for the 77-C's to arrive. When I came back to pick up my car, I noticed the dusty and dirty 25-C's where back on. The Service Manager said the suspension noise my car has is a normal operating noise, since the suspension is "operating under manufacture specs"... I couldn't believe the load of BS I was hearing. I've had 3 loaners with the same specs as my Model S run through my same daily commute, and none of them had the rattle.

They said the noise level was exactly the same with the 77-C's installed than without them, so they took them out as they could not justify the installation of the 77-C's on my car.

I'm wondering if there's a new internal memo running around Service Centers on the subject denying further installation of 77-C's, like with the screen replacements for the yellowing borders.

@Art_Vandelay, @michidragon, @Jarvis2018

77-C will make ride comfort better, but when over a short span of time you might get the rattling and the ride comfort worsen. This is my experience and since I do not have the mandate for representing other owners I just mention I know I am not alone.

The main problem seems to be something else - something that causes the struts to deteriorate so quickly. NB! The problem effects are noticeably less evident with different size of wheels. Those with R21 and R19 have mentioned that with R21 they could hardly notice the noise. There was a post in this thread that I also want to refer you to where SC experimented with wheel size as well. Seems like something changed in suspension geometry. This also explains why Telsa cannot easily fix it and rather cannot effectively mitigate it with design changes only in struts. Ref: Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

So I would demand that they solve the problem whatever that might be.

Last edited:
Has anybody reported this issue on any 2019 models? This thread is one of my arguments against buying another MS.
I do not know if this problem has been fixed on TMS 2019. Ask Tesla Sales and SC. Require written confirmation and make it (formally) a an obligatory condition for your purchase, if you dare to buy the car at all. This is clearly a known problem referred to in https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10148826-9999.pdf

I wasn’t able to pick up my car yesterday, going in in a few hrs. Did get on the phone with them last night and they said the rattle is quieter, not gone which is disappointing. Will get more information when I got in. So frustrated.

Oh and I have 19” wheels which I forgot to mention before.

I am considering going down the Lemon Law route here if they cannot fix. Going to be a pain but if might be the only way. Ive had the car for 5 months and it’s been in the shop for a combined 2 months so far.

Reactions: Dragetreneren
So, looks like I'm beginning to develop this problem.

Note, @Jarvis2018 -
I'm in Colorado too; I presume this was the Littleton SC, and lately I've been trying to go to the Evans SC because they seem to be more.. receptive there. Even though smaller.

So, Manufacture date October 2018, Delivery date December 12 2018 - MS 75D.

Checked my front struts, they're definitely 25-Cs.

Any advice on what to do? This noise isn't that bad now, but is it true that it's going to get much, much worse?
Should I go in and demand the 77-Cs?

I've had bad luck so far. My car was delivered with a misaligned rear hatch, on delivery day they told me they could fix it; now they say they can't.

Have had the car in 3 times for repeater/B-pillar camera problems causing autopilot to not work; nothing they do fixes it.

And now, this.

I am worried about the honesty of the service centers lately. Having this start to happen and hearing that Tesla isn't doing anything about it (or outright lying about it) is pretty disconcerting...

Yup I go to Littleton but am considering going to Evans. Littleton has just given me one issue after another and this is just the icing on the cake. They are a complete disaster over there and have no clue what’s going on. I’ll have more info later today on what happens when I pick up my car. Stay tuned to this thread for more info.

It would be interesting if T&T Ove Kröger (Germany) on youtube made another video using his noise-mics clamped to a 77-C outfitted car. I would presume all cars from late 2018 have 77-C installed from the factory also. Maybe @Dragetreneren should make him a visit on the continent? Another thing not yet answered is what is the difference between a 25 and 77 strut? Is it the Bilstein damper or the Firestone air spring that is the culprit? Anyone with mechanical skills can get hold of a few and dissect?

Alright well here's the LONG update. It's confirmed the rattle is coming from the inside metal rings of the struts rattling against the metal inner sidewall of the struts. They showed me photos and explained it all. So what the service center did on mine is replace the 25s with the 77s, but they also added insulation around the four rings inside the struts - they said this is not a "fix" but Tesla engineers are okay with this service center (Littleton, CO) trying this out until there is another solution. Unfortunately, both of these things combined did not fix the rattle much on mine. I'd say maybe a 20% reduction in rattle which is frustrating. They said that this combo reduced the sound a lot on cars that have much louder rattles than mine, but doesn't have as big of an impact on moderate rattles. I thought mine was bad so I can't imagine what others are like! The service manager there confirmed that Tesla is well aware that the 77s are NOT the fix and that they are working on another fix. Once that's rolled out, they'll let me know but they didn't have a timeline unfortunately. While I was there yet another Model S came in with the same complaint, so it's fair to say that this is a widespread issue.

What they recommended us all doing to help expedite a fix is to go to your Tesla account online, click "Manage", scroll down to support and leave a detailed message that refers to this issue and say that we would like it addressed ASAP. They said that the more complaints that come in related to one issue, the higher the priority it gets. I'll be filling it out tonight, and think everyone here should do the same, and tell others who may not be on this forum.

A couple other things while I'm here:

1) The service manager offered to do a "Buy Back" (not a swap) my the vehicle but said that can take 3-5 months to go through. I decided to hold off for another couple months and see what happens but will go down this path if I need to.
2) They said that it's not about the wheel size at all and they've tested different wheels with no variance in result.
3) They also said that it's on all cars starting in mid-late 2017, even the newer 2019s.

Hope this is helpful, will continue to post if I get any other updates.

@Jeroenhermans can you share the list of what was done on your vehicle? And what size wheels do you have?
Hi,

I’ve got 19 inch wheels.
This is what is in the pdf:

Prijs unit
AIR SPRING MODULE FR - MS2 DM (1067361-77-C)
Opmerking: Customer: Knocking / thumping noise coming from front of vehicle while driving
Correctie: Air Spring Module - Front - LH
Replaced both front air spring modules. Issue resolved.
Correctie: Air Spring Module - Front - RH
Replaced both front air spring modules. Issue resolved.
Betalingsmiddel: Garantie
Totaal Parts
Onderdeel
Aantal
Prijs unit
AIR SPRING MODULE FR - MS2 DM (1067361-77-C)

• Informative
I have rattling from the front on a brand new 75S. This was a 2018 model and I noticed the rattle after 200 miles.

Been in today on a couple of minor snagging issues, and they said there is a recall and they have confirmed mine has it, and the parts are on order, and they'll swap them in a day. They said they hadn't had any back which have had the fix.

I'll report back after the work done next month.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
I have rattling from the front on a brand new 75S. This was a 2018 model and I noticed the rattle after 200 miles.

Been in today on a couple of minor snagging issues, and they said there is a recall and they have confirmed mine has it, and the parts are on order, and they'll swap them in a day. They said they hadn't had any back which have had the fix.

I'll report back after the work done next month.

When was your MS built? Mine is a Dec 2018 build and has been in once already. Noise briefly disappeared but is now back after a few weeks.

• Informative