Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

I too got the 77-C parts and the rattle came back after about 6-7K km. So no long term solution yet ….

I read today that there is an upgrade to MS with 'All Model S and Model X will now come with an upgraded air suspension system'.

So I assume for the new cars they have solved the problem and they have redesigned the whole suspension system.

What about our cars ? Will we get an 'upgraded air suspension' ? Will they wait for some more months in order to decrease the value of our cars and offer us an upgrade to a new one ? Or will nothing happen ?

Please keep this post alive !

Thanks

Hans

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
Hello Everyone,

I too got the 77-C parts and the rattle came back after about 6-7K km. So no long term solution yet ….

I read today that there is an upgrade to MS with 'All Model S and Model X will now come with an upgraded air suspension system'.

So I assume for the new cars they have solved the problem and they have redesigned the whole suspension system.

What about our cars ? Will we get an 'upgraded air suspension' ? Will they wait for some more months in order to decrease the value of our cars and offer us an upgrade to a new one ? Or will nothing happen ?

Please keep this post alive !

Thanks

Hans

My guess is that the final outcome is individual and depends on which requirements each owner can hold according to the local jurisdiction.

There is hope that those who do not have the right for full refund or re-delivery can get the revised suspension retrofit in their vehicles. Same applies for the drive-train (drive axles)

I wonder if the suspension can be retrofitted, or if the whole structure has been altered in the body.
There must be som new wiring going from the ECU that controls the adaptive dampening at least. Maybe new sensors also (g-sensors, wheel speed etc etc, HW3 system used to predict damping characteristics needed??) Small job to retrofit - I don't think so.

I would guess asking for a re-delivery would be the right way to go from here - both to get the newest AP-hw3 and of course the new adaptive dampers and air suspension.

When it comes to additional value
HW3 is virtually available to those with FSD package at no charge.
For those with only EPA or especially without EAP it really depends on two factors if one is entitled for additional compensation:
1. Has the number of allowed rectification attempts exceeded two (2).
2. The time passed since reporting about the issue is more than "reasonable".
Other than that the consumer shout NOT be left with an unjustified enrichment.

The state in Norway offers a public calculator for additional compensation when complied with terms.

When it comes to a permanent fix
If the revised air-suspension offers it then - yes that is what I would consider. "77-C" did not do this for me and I have reasons to believe did not for many others.

Reactions: daktari and emmz0r
The new suspension retrofit is out of question. This is a whole new system even considering there is no frame modification (which I doubt). Remember when Elon twitted that the car will be able to recognize potholes? I can bet that the new dampening system will adjust for those.. similar to the Mercedes system. Why not? this kind of stuff comes from Bosch engineering anyway - it just includes Tesla software integration and firmware updates will improve this in time. therefore this new system is new and it may also require HW3, most likely. They will have to come up with a permanent fix for our cars. I am not sure in US what can you get ... they will narrow the issue to some "noise" only. They will claim the ride comfort is not an issue. Can you return a car for a noise problem? Not sure what laws cover here. Still mind bugling they can't come up with a fix.

... They will claim the ride comfort is not an issue. Can you return a car for a noise problem? Not sure what laws cover here. Still mind bugling they can't come up with a fix.

The noise comes from vibration. Vibration has consequences - always. The bottom line is that the problem should not be there. Not in new cars. It also becomes worse after time and those dynamics mean something changes their properties. Too fast. The affected components are EXPENSIVE. This implies an unforeseen risk for maintenance and also for re-selling. No way Tesla has a good case here if you ask me. Better bank on the Robottaxi and resolve deficit in loaner cars - buyback the cars from those who have come so far that they understand the problem and consumer rights.

I am with you 100%. The issue is that I don't see what laws can protect here. I just reported my issue now and have an appointment all the way mid June. Service centers are becoming very busy (no wonder they are shown as a bigger and bigger loss). I will see what they are coming up with. Unless we all push on this they will go around. I am looking at people in Bellevue area to report the issue with the new 77C. I remember when I reported mine they had already another one in service and scratching their heads. I had to point them to the new part and ask them to check internal messaging around that. they thanked me for it. Now.. we should go back with the problem ... I will tell them I am not happy that this may affect other components in time.

I am with you 100%. The issue is that I don't see what laws can protect here. I just reported my issue now and have an appointment all the way mid June. Service centers are becoming very busy (no wonder they are shown as a bigger and bigger loss). I will see what they are coming up with. Unless we all push on this they will go around. I am looking at people in Bellevue area to report the issue with the new 77C. I remember when I reported mine they had already another one in service and scratching their heads. I had to point them to the new part and ask them to check internal messaging around that. they thanked me for it. Now.. we should go back with the problem ... I will tell them I am not happy that this may affect other components in time.

I am not familiar with legislation in US so I cannot tell how you could handle this on that arena. But I hope my thoughts (even with certain bias toward to Norwegian law) make sense.

Nonetheless I sincerely hope a lawsuit would the very last resort when it comes to the situation with suspension (and drive axles). May be Tesla retrofit the solution that they have come out with recently (should they still have the right to do so).

Was wondering if any one else are experiencing this and have gotten some explanation/fix for the issue.

Can't read all 52+ pages in this thread, however I'll just throw in my experience. 2015 70D w/Air. I had to take in 3 times before the issue you describe was resolved.

Concern: Customer states: Vehicle produces clunking noise on acceleration/deceleration.

Corrections: Halfshafts - Lubricate at Hubs LH/RH
Torqued and lubricated the rear axles. Test drove vehicle and verified noise is no longer present.

Part Quantity
WASHER SAFETY M24x39 (1020296-00-B) 2​

Concern: Customer states: Vehicle produces clunk noise over bumps from the front end.

Corrections: Links - Front Suspension - Lower - Aft - LH/RH.
Replaced front sway bar end links -left and right. Test drove vehicle and verified noise is no longer present.

FRONT STABAR LINK - DUAL MOTOR (1030603-00-B)​

Concern: Customer states there is a knocking noise when driving from front right suspension area

Corrections: Link - Sway Bar - Front - Pair
Road test vehicle and verified customer's concern. Torqued front suspension and found sway bar requiring replacement due to play. Removed and replaced sway bar link.

FRONT STABAR LINK - DUAL MOTOR (1030603-00-B)
NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W (1020297-00-A)​

Concern: Customer states there is a shuttering felt from front right wheel area when driving 30 MPH or above.

Corrections: Hub - Front - LH
Recommending front right hub assembly and F/R axle to be replaced due to customer's
concern. Removed and replaced front right axle and hub assembly.

RR SUSP HUB AND BEARING ASSY PERFORMANCE (1027170-00-A)
FRONT RIGHT HALFSHAFT - DUAL MOTOR (1030616-00-B)​

Can't read all 52+ pages in this thread, however I'll just throw in my experience. 2015 70D w/Air. I had to take in 3 times before the issue you describe was resolved.

Concern: Customer states: Vehicle produces clunking noise on acceleration/deceleration.

Corrections: Halfshafts - Lubricate at Hubs LH/RH
Torqued and lubricated the rear axles. Test drove vehicle and verified noise is no longer present.

Part Quantity
WASHER SAFETY M24x39 (1020296-00-B) 2​

Concern: Customer states: Vehicle produces clunk noise over bumps from the front end.

Corrections: Links - Front Suspension - Lower - Aft - LH/RH.
Replaced front sway bar end links -left and right. Test drove vehicle and verified noise is no longer present.

FRONT STABAR LINK - DUAL MOTOR (1030603-00-B)​

Concern: Customer states there is a knocking noise when driving from front right suspension area

Corrections: Link - Sway Bar - Front - Pair
Road test vehicle and verified customer's concern. Torqued front suspension and found sway bar requiring replacement due to play. Removed and replaced sway bar link.

FRONT STABAR LINK - DUAL MOTOR (1030603-00-B)
NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W (1020297-00-A)​

Concern: Customer states there is a shuttering felt from front right wheel area when driving 30 MPH or above.

Corrections: Hub - Front - LH
Recommending front right hub assembly and F/R axle to be replaced due to customer's
concern. Removed and replaced front right axle and hub assembly.

RR SUSP HUB AND BEARING ASSY PERFORMANCE (1027170-00-A)
FRONT RIGHT HALFSHAFT - DUAL MOTOR (1030616-00-B)​

Nice overview, but like @emmz0r have pointed out - not the same issue.

After reading this thread I would like to share my experience with my car.

So the car is a 2018 July (25-c) build and I have been driving all the winter season on 19 inches. After owning the car in 3 months, Mobile service finally came to me to fix some issues and confirmed that the rattle sound needed to be fixed. I got a service appointment in March but when I went there they did nothing. At this point the odometer was on about 4000km.

I got mad and called and they got another appointment for me 8th April. This day I got the new spring modules (77-c) and the sound disappeared, but now driving on R21. But after 200km I noticed the rattle sound slowly coming back. Now I have been driving with the 77-c for 1000km, and the sound is as bad or even worse than with the old spring modules. I get really annoyed and don´t know what to do anymore. My next scheduled service appointment is in August (!) for a rattle sound from the back seats and some door rattle.

I really love the cars they make, but this is not acceptable and they should rather focus and fixing this problems and other quality problems rather than just focusing on getting more money from people because of new features like FSD (retrofit from 2.5 to 3.0 will take a lot of time I assume and FSD is not even close in my country).

I hope the new models have a different system and that they can retrofit into our cars. I have also gotten the advice to ask for buyback, but that is not an option for me.

I posted in January about a failed repair attempt on my Dec 2017 RWD 75 Model S (air suspension, EAP/FSD) after leaving it a week with service. They replaced the steering gear assembly but had replaced my “old” 77-Bs. (The car had 2000 miles) It rattled as I was leaving service.

I was told that noises were not covered under warranty and would be charged for further diagnosis.
I complained to Tesla support chat who referred me back to the service center.
I emailed Angela Meyer with Tesla Mobile who had been very professional with me before and “aired my grievances.”
She sent mobile out for my louver problem and charging port problem, but didn’t say anything about the suspension rattle.

I tried to impress on the mobile ranger how frustrated we all are with the rattle...that some people are selling or even thinking about legal pursuit and that we can’t accept the way service is treating some of us and there doesn’t seem to be a permanent fix.

I also took Jarvis2018’s advice and sent a message to corporate through my account. I expressed my great disappointment and asked that they prioritize this problem ASAP.

A week later I got a message from service saying my parts had arrived for the suspension rattle so I’m going back to service May 9.

Frankly, I don’t have a lot of hope for a permanent fix but I hope so for all of us.

The parts to be installed include the 77-B air spring modules and what they say is the updated version of the STEERING GEAR ASSY (1070801-00-E) My current one is (1070801-99-D).

On a positive note, it shows as warranty work.
We’ll see how service treats me this time. I seem to have better results with mobile, but they can’t do suspension.

If anyone has further suggestions or specific questions for service please let me know. They did tell me that I was only allotted a certain amount of time at service so they would not deal with any other non safety issues at that time. I live 2 hours from service.