Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will add that my May 2018 build S P100D VIN 258xxx has this issue. I brought it in to service for this and several other problems and was told almost immediately, before I could finish my sentence describing the symptoms to the tech, that it's a known issue and they are waiting on redesigned parts.

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren
I will add that my May 2018 build S P100D VIN 258xxx has this issue. I brought it in to service for this and several other problems and was told almost immediately, before I could finish my sentence describing the symptoms to the tech, that it's a known issue and they are waiting on redesigned parts.
Would you care to ask your SC if the redesigned part is Air Modules with p/n 1067361-77-C or they know it does not help and tell how whatever they know about the coming design changes? Thanks (on behalf of all, I guess :))

It is really the time for open communication.

Would you care to ask your SC if the redesigned part is Air Modules with p/n 1067361-77-C or they know it does not help and tell how whatever they know about the coming design changes? Thanks (on behalf of all, I guess :))

It is really the time for open communication.

"an open communication" ..... that is the weakest point in that matter

I have taken the issue to court as Tesla is rejecting all possible alternative szenarios except installing the 77 C`s .

For those of you in the US that have asked about other options if Tesla doesn't help you or wants to charge you....I highly recommend filling a safety complaint with NHTSA. You can do that here:

File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

I've worked for two major car manufacturers over the years and NHTSA is one of the few oversight bodies that seems to be able to a company to sit up and pay attention.

And what is the safety complaint to file? That the noise is driving you nuts and causing you to drive erratically? :eek::rolleyes:

Having this evaluated given the breaking distance can be affected (in case this is bushings at the top of the struts) might be a good idea.

But should this develop to a lawsuit the focus would anyway be on the implied unexpected risks related to both re-selling and maintenance. I will not buy a vehicle with this problem - simply put. Since the suspension parts are costly and costly to replace (require special Tesla tools not available at every (any?) other than a Tesla workshop)

This must come to a resolution of course. But I can tell loyalty changes to an rightful disappointment rather quickly the longer the problem stays untreated.

Last edited:
There are service bulletins on replacing sway bars on older model S when they get worn. It's a common issue and produces nearly the same sound.
Hmm... is it the sway bar itself, or links/bushings?

Hmm, this is the only one I saw that looked close, but it calls out ball joints:

07/09/15 NHTSA ID: 10057891
TSB ID: 13-31-003

Tesla motors, inc 2012-2013 model s: information regarding front lower control arm ball joints developing greater free play than expected. installing (4)wedge- lock washers on the lower arm ball joint will correct the problem. *lj

Last edited:
  • Informative
I guess it depends if a sway bar is considered a "wearable" part, as break discs etc. You could certainly try :)

I asked because i recently complained about a rattling noise on my late 2014 MS front suspension and had the front LH upper control arm (not the sway bar) replaced and although it did improve the rattling noise, it didn't eliminate it.

Fortunately i have a two year extension warranty that is still active, so i want to resolve this before it ends, but it would be nice if there is a bulletin service on replacing sway bars and/or control arms to get this done once and for all.

Hi Guys,

so about a week after my struts were replaced with the new C model the sound started coming back already. 2 weeks in, I mailed tesla bout it and they asked me to bring back my model S to the SC for a check. Just received a message that it is ready for pickup. In the invoice I can see the same C mdoel struts were replaced again...
Will know more when I pick it up tomorrow.
Rgds,
Jeroen

Hi Guys,

so about a week after my struts were replaced with the new C model the sound started coming back already. 2 weeks in, I mailed tesla bout it and they asked me to bring back my model S to the SC for a check. Just received a message that it is ready for pickup. In the invoice I can see the same C mdoel struts were replaced again...
Will know more when I pick it up tomorrow.
Rgds,
Jeroen

any news from the your recent Visit @ the SC ??

any news from the your recent Visit @ the SC ??
Hi, Yes I picked up my car yesterday. Only drove about 150 km so far but the noise is gone once more.
The technician told me that they replaced the front air struts again with a new revision. He said that the model nr is the same on the invoice as last time but that it is a newer revision. Not sure how much I believe this story, but let's see how they hold up.

Rgds,

Jeroen

• Informative
Hi, Yes I picked up my car yesterday. Only drove about 150 km so far but the noise is gone once more.
The technician told me that they replaced the front air struts again with a new revision. He said that the model nr is the same on the invoice as last time but that it is a newer revision. Not sure how much I believe this story, but let's see how they hold up.

Rgds,

Jeroen
Did your technician tell you which revision it is? It would be very helpful for many to know how to identify the revision that presumably resolves the problem. This will also eliminate unnecessary frustration in case that revision is actually the permanent solution.

Did your technician tell you which revision it is? It would be very helpful for many to know how to identify the revision that presumably resolves the problem. This will also eliminate unnecessary frustration in case that revision is actually the permanent solution.

Hi,

I did not ask him this. He was French speaking only and so I had somebody translate for me. On the invoice it says 1067361-77-C but they verbally confirmed me that what they installed on my car was a newer revision of that.
Is there anyway I can check the car and find out?

Rgds,

Jeroen