Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I did not ask him this. He was French speaking only and so I had somebody translate for me. On the invoice it says 1067361-77-C but they verbally confirmed me that what they installed on my car was a newer revision of that.
Is there anyway I can check the car and find out?

Rgds,

Jeroen

Tesla can tell.

It is puzzliing that even part number of the shock absorber is the same on both 1067361-25-C and 1067361-77-C: 72-3582-3015. Although, the handling of high frequency movements has changed from 25-C to 77-C. May be this is traceable by serial number? But again, we would need to know how it is encoded.

It's very likely that people who have suspension rattles are finding this discussion and maybe it helps some.
As your video pointed out the knocking noise up front can come from a number of places within the front suspension. My first failure was an air spring module and the SC replaced it. Then within a year the knocking came back. Sounded exactly the same to me. They once again replaced the air strut but could only do one so I had to take it back when they got the other part a month later. In all cases the SC used the "chassis ears" to identify the knocking noise.

When they went to replace the other front air module the tech noticed the looseness of the front link and saw that the boot looked like it had a crack in it. So they replaced both links and did not swap out the other air module. Voila. Knocking problem gone.

So while this thread is about the front "air" suspension, it would be nice to have a sticky at the top directing people to have the links inspected first. Some may have gone that route first and are looking for the air module issue here and others might not need to go here at all like you.

I agree a master thread that points to the various front end knocking threads would be good. And then don't get me started why we have to post this issue in both the MS and MX forums when the problem and solutions are often the same. Please TMC come up with a forum for common MS/MX topics.

Anyway your video is still good even though it's not in the perfect place. ;)

I posted
And then don't get me started why we have to post this issue in both the MS and MX forums when the problem and solutions are often the same. Please TMC come up with a forum for common MS/MX topics.

That's a very good point. So many topics apply the S and X equally. Maybe a way to do that is to have the same discussion show up in both forum sections. There has got to be a way.

After spending hours of read here and watching many YouTube videos I found the source of the rattle in my Model S.

Great informative video David99

You mentioned something about finding only left side gloves in the video. I just wanted to point out that the “L” in gloves it’s not for left or right but rather your hand size as in small, medium or large. The gloves are universal. You just flip them over to go on either hand

Great informative video David99

You mentioned something about finding only left side gloves in the video. I just wanted to point out that the “L” in gloves it’s not for left or right but rather your hand size as in small, medium or large. The gloves are universal. You just flip them over to go on either hand

I had one of these moments during the video:

38EE2F6C-4789-4B46-864C-F411C40A313D.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: David99
I don't have the courage to read through all the posts here, but I had the rattle coming from the suspension for a while and was told by my SC to wait for the corrected part. They installed it today and it looks like it's not rattling anymore for the moment.

Part number is (1067361-77-C)

Just had mine done, very good service from Leeds UK. Car now has no rattle noise, very nice as mine got really rattly. Hopefully will last.
Also my frunk opening arm (? Not sure right description) had been really loud on opening. Thought maybe I was being picky but glad I reported as they found the wiring loom was rubbing on it.
Now I just need my occasional drive shaft under heavy acceleration rattle sorting, they told me Tesla are looking into it.

I've had my suspension fixed with the 77-C and the problem was gone.
While I thought at some point that I could hear it again, through very closely listening, and as such assuming it would fully come back at some point, it still hasn't gotten any worse and I still really can't say if it's back (meaning, it's very, very hard to hear if any).
Before, even passengers would comment on the rattle, so after now 10000 km, I will put this item to rest

I've had my suspension fixed with the 77-C and the problem was gone.
While I thought at some point that I could hear it again, through very closely listening, and as such assuming it would fully come back at some point, it still hasn't gotten any worse and I still really can't say if it's back (meaning, it's very, very hard to hear if any).
Before, even passengers would comment on the rattle, so after now 10000 km, I will put this item to rest
Exactly same here at about 8000km

Reactions: MP3Mike
As your video pointed out the knocking noise up front can come from a number of places within the front suspension. My first failure was an air spring module and the SC replaced it. Then within a year the knocking came back. Sounded exactly the same to me. They once again replaced the air strut but could only do one so I had to take it back when they got the other part a month later. In all cases the SC used the "chassis ears" to identify the knocking noise.

When they went to replace the other front air module the tech noticed the looseness of the front link and saw that the boot looked like it had a crack in it. So they replaced both links and did not swap out the other air module. Voila. Knocking problem gone.

So while this thread is about the front "air" suspension, it would be nice to have a sticky at the top directing people to have the links inspected first. Some may have gone that route first and are looking for the air module issue here and others might not need to go here at all like you.

I agree a master thread that points to the various front end knocking threads would be good. And then don't get me started why we have to post this issue in both the MS and MX forums when the problem and solutions are often the same. Please TMC come up with a forum for common MS/MX topics.

Anyway your video is still good even though it's not in the perfect place. ;)
Thanks for a nice post.

Hi Folks, I have had the same issue and the Fremont service center has confirmed and replaced the front struts for my car. After 2k miles, I think I have started hearing the same noise again. I have a long drive coming up, will pay attention to it during the drive and see how it goes.

However, a new issue popped up. After the struts have been replaced, I went for a test drive with the technician and I couldn't hear much noise from the frunk area. But, my steering wheel has started having a rattle/screeching noise, which I observed after couple of weeks. Wondering if it is related to the work done on the struts. As if there was a loose bolt thrown in a metal tube. I can hear this on roads which are not smooth or on concrete roads. (Some roads in North San Jose or some parts of 101 North. )

Did anyone run into the same issue with the steering wheel rattle after the struts replacement?

Car: March 18 75D with Air suspension. 14k Miles on the car. Struts replaced at ~11k.

• Informative
Reactions: Dragetreneren