Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle noise coming from front Air Suspension (2017-18)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have two sounds in this video, the first one come from the air suspension struts and the second, the clicking sound, service fixed that one for me by placing some material similar to dynamats between the shock tower brace and the shock tower. This need to be done on both sides to work.

If you look at the part catalog: https://epc.tesla.com/#/systemGroups/60166?partNumber=1064611-00-B&partId=11236048

It sound proofing need to go between item 9 and 11 on one side and the corresponding parts on the other side.

Thanks for the info! If I can get the clicking noise to go away, I think i'll be ok. The struts sound in my car doesn't seem as bad as some others here, but I guess it'll get worse.

Appreciate the details about how to get clicking sound resolved. I'll go ahead and try to get them to do that.

Anyone heard of a permanent fix to the rattle noise when accelerating in the Raven Model S?

I had the problem with my Model S Performance since November last year and I find it really weird that Tesla hasn’t found a permanent fix for this already...?

So I have a 2019 pre-raven model S and I've had my front struts replaced on first complaint for clunking sounds on low speed and steering assembly gear replaced upon second complaint. I do noticed that the sound isn't as prominent; however, it is still present and very noticeable. I've seen that many owners have had their front struts replaced also with little or no success. I did not see that anyone has had issues with the rear struts? Could the rear struts also be implicated potentially for the clunking noise? If not why?

Add me to the list.

1st visit to Tesla- you are driving in low and the suspension doesn't have enough room to travel and dampen.

2nd visit, that's normal. There is a new design, but it's not covered under warranty, new or used.

Looking at options how to proceed....:mad: feeling really frustrated.

Had my struts replaced in November or so and it was better for a day or two, then returned. I have noticed that it is better in warmer temps and better in higher suspension settings. As far as I can tell, it is something rattling in the strut itself, probably the inflatable damping mechanism, so likely no fix until or if they redesign the part.

Low+Comfort = Worst
Extra High + Sport = Best

I have seen a few posts where people have wrapped the outside of the strut with a noise damping material like DynaMat with good results. Haven't gone there yet myself.

1067361-77-C - AIR SPRING MODULE FR - MS2 DM

Not sure what the old part number is/was though....

The part numbers on my replacement were::
ADAPTIVE AIR SPRING MODULE, FR - LH, MS(1066361- 1.0 00-D)
ADAPTIVE AIR SPRING MODULE, FR - RH, MS(1066366 1.0 -00-D)

Noticed your sig - do you have a Raven with Adaptive suspension or is this for the P90DL?

Hey @Zishan I know how you feel!

I took my January 2017 built Model S to its first annual service in February 2018, and I mentioned the rattle to the Service Advisor, who said they were "well aware of the situation" and requested my authorisation to order the 77-C's with my VIN number as requested by "the engineering team at Fremont".

Got a call saying that the 77-C's and the Enhanced Anti-theft System I ordered where both ready to be installed, so I took my Model S to the Service Center and upon picking up my car, I was told they've installed the 77-C's and took the car out for a quick test drive and found the car "behaved the same with the new parts as it did without them" so they took them off and returned me my car with its original parts, as they "could not justify the installation of the 77-C's under warranty" since my car "behaved the same with and without the 77-C's"...

I wasn't even able to try the 77-C's :mad: They emphasized that the rattle noise coming from the front suspension of my Model S is a normal operating noise, since the suspension is "operating under manufacture specs" and is even "normal" for all vehicles with air suspension and even worse on vehicles with 21 inch wheels like mine.

I have this rattle since the first few months I took ownership of my car in 2017. None of the 3 loaners with air suspension I've used over the life of my Model S have displayed this same situation over the exact same road conditions, since my Home-Work-Home trips are always the same.

I decided to just give up dealing with this situation 2 years ago. :(

• Informative
Reactions: Zishan
I have a June 2018 S with air suspension. Long story short I did get the 77C air struts but the rattle came back. And oh yeah, I have only 14,000km on my car (basically nothing). They essentially refuse to do anything about it as they do not have an updated part (upper strut mount?). I'm not happy about it but there's nothing I can do, other than wait and see, and buy from a better automaker next time. As it stands right now there's no chance I'd buy another Tesla due to my past experience with the company regarding this car and my previous S.

I had mine replaced twice and the left one 3 times. No luck... I can hear it clearly after e bump in the road essentially when compressed suspension in extending back down not going up. Sometimes I wonder if that is the case. Others found noise within the caliper for example. I have had loaners with no noise at all. Do the ravens have the same issue?

From Amsterdam, new 2018 75DMS, adaptive suspension. I heard the rattle almost from the very beginning but didn't act on it. Eventually in April this year I had the bellow items changed on warranty, at 41k km/ 25k mi.

After the change, I thought the front looked more elevated now with the new parts, and after measuring I noticed 15.5cm/6.1inch at the front, and 14cm/5.5inch at the back. I measured it at different locations, in case the ground there was uneven. Maybe I am wrong but I will bring it up with the SC.

Air Spring Module - Front - LH (Remove & Replace)
Air Spring Module - Front - RH (Remove & Replace)

ADAPTIVE AIR SPRING MODULE, DUAL MTR FR (1067361-77-C)

Asy-Shock Tower Brace, RH LHD(1064611-00-B)
Asy-Shock Tower Brace, LH LHD(1064610-00-D)

I have had two issues with my front suspension. One, a God awful creak and groan noise when going over bumps at low speed. The second issue being the rattle on hard acceleration on "high" suspension setting. Both were fixed under warranty. 2017 75D. Delivered in December. Below are the invoices, creak first, rattle second.

upload_2020-5-4_14-34-42.png

upload_2020-5-4_14-32-25.png

Reactions: Zishan